[news.newsites] new site aleytys.UU.NET

mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent) (05/24/88)

#N	aleytys
#S	Bell Technologies Next Step Workstation; UNIX 5.3/X10R4
#O	Center for Mike's Computing Enjoyment
#C	Michael Kent
#E	aleytys!mike
#T	+1 904 335 1573
#P	2521 NW 57 Pl., Gainesville, Florida, USA, 32606
#L	29 38 56 N / 82 19 19 W city
#U	uflorida
#W	mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent); Sun May 22 09:24:25 EDT 1988
#
#	uunet is a pay service: DO NOT route mail thru it and aleytys
#	unless the destination is aleytys.
#
aleytys	uflorida(DAILY/4), medman(DAILY/2), uunet(DAILY)

--
Michael Kent                      INTERNET: mike@aleytys.UU.NET
Center for M.C.E.                 UUCP:     ...!{uflorida, uunet}!aleytys!mike

wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) (06/02/88)

In article <159@aleytys.UU.NET> mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent) writes:
> #N	aleytys
> #W	mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent); Sun May 22 09:24:25 EDT 1988

I've never seen the "domain" .UU.NET - is it real, or did
you make it up?  If it's not real, then you'll really have trouble
getting mail from people with domain-based mailers, which is to say
"most of the world".

> #	uunet is a pay service: DO NOT route mail thru it and aleytys
> #	unless the destination is aleytys.
> aleytys	uflorida(DAILY/4), medman(DAILY/2), uunet(DAILY)

Remember that most people only read the map files when there's trouble;
usually they just feed it to pathalias and maybe tune their local area.
The way to keep people from using aleytys <-> uunet is to give it a high
price, such as WEEKLY*10 - nobody will use it unless they're really
trying to reach you.  For your *own* pathalias map generation, use DAILY, so
you'll get the right costs.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) (06/02/88)

In article <159@aleytys.UU.NET> mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent) writes:

> #	uunet is a pay service: DO NOT route mail thru it and aleytys
> #	unless the destination is aleytys.
> aleytys	uflorida(DAILY/4), medman(DAILY/2), uunet(DAILY)

Remember that most people only read the map files when there's trouble;
usually they just feed it to pathalias and maybe tune their local area.
The way to keep people from using aleytys <-> uunet is to give it a high
price, such as WEEKLY - nobody will use it unless they're really

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (06/02/88)

In article <130@skep2.ATT.COM> wcs@skep2.UUCP (46323-Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>,2G218,x0705,) writes:
>In article <159@aleytys.UU.NET> mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent) writes:
>> #N	aleytys
>> #W	mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent); Sun May 22 09:24:25 EDT 1988
>
>I've never seen the "domain" .UU.NET - is it real, or did
>you make it up?  If it's not real, then you'll really have trouble
>getting mail from people with domain-based mailers, which is to say
>"most of the world".

No, he didn't "make it up"....mail from here makes it just fine.  I belive that
.uu.net is the domain of the machine (group of?) uunet (kinda follows....)

	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		inhp4, masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl,
	ccastks@gitvm1.bitnet	unmvax, ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

	soon to be open: ...!gatech!spooge!ken (finally ;'})

esj@bud.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (06/02/88)

In article <130@skep2.ATT.COM> wcs@skep2.UUCP (46323-Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>,2G218,x0705,) writes:
>In article <159@aleytys.UU.NET> mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent) writes:
>> #N	aleytys
>> #W	mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent); Sun May 22 09:24:25 EDT 1988
>
>I've never seen the "domain" .UU.NET - is it real, or did
>you make it up?  If it's not real, then you'll really have trouble
>getting mail from people with domain-based mailers, which is to say
>"most of the world".

UUNET seems to have a MX record in their nameserver which probably
looks something like this:

*.uu.net	in	mx	10 uunet.uu.net

If you run decent mailer software, this means that mail to xxxx.uu.net
will get delivered to uunet.uu.net. Matched with a pretty smart sendmail.cf
at uunet.uu.net, this allows the the address aleytys.uu.net to work
just fine.

A very nice (and maybe undocumented) feature that a uunet connection
provides for UUCP only sites.

--
In Real Life:           Internet: esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu
Eric S. Johnson II      UUCP: ...{codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!esj

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/09/88)

In article <131@skep2.ATT.COM>, wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>) writes:
> In article <159@aleytys.UU.NET> mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent) writes:
>
> > #	uunet is a pay service: DO NOT route mail thru it and aleytys
> > #	unless the destination is aleytys.
> > aleytys	uflorida(DAILY/4), medman(DAILY/2), uunet(DAILY)
>
> Remember that most people only read the map files when there's trouble;
> usually they just feed it to pathalias and maybe tune their local area.
> The way to keep people from using aleytys <-> uunet is to give it a high
> price, such as WEEKLY - nobody will use it unless they're really
> trying to reach you.  For your *own* pathalias map generation, use DAILY, so
> you'll get the right costs.

There is a much better way of doing this and I would only resort to
fudged link costs if uunet wouldn't change it's map for you.

The correct way of handling this is to have uunet put aleytys
into it's map thusly (is that a word?):

	uunet	<aleytys>(DAILY)

Which tells pathalias only to use the uunet <-> aleytys link when
aleytys is the final destination. uunet already does this for a number
of sites.
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utgpu!ontmoh!------------\              VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623