[news.config] link between cbit and hutch is DEAD

barber@rabbit1.UUCP (Steve Barber) (11/11/86)

The link between cbit and hutch should be considered DEAD until
further notice.  There is somebody out there who is routing things
to us through cbit (I don't know why, it's an extra hop) and I
think it is caip.  Please don't route to us via cbit; use cbmvax.
Probably this is happening automatically and it shouldn't.  I'll
be looking into things from my end.

--
Steve Barber    Rabbit Software Corp.
...!ihnp4!{cbmvax,cuuxb}!hutch!barber  ...!psuvax1!burdvax!hutch!barber

pleasant@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Mel Pleasant) (11/12/86)

You'll have to talk to the folks at cbmvax to get this straightened
out ultimately.  Here's the cause of your problem:

cbmvax	cbit(DEMAND), hutch(DAILY/4)

cbit	hutch(DIRECT)

If you were pathalias, which path would you choose?  A DEMAND+DIRECT
path weighs in at 500.  A DAILY/4 path weighs in at 1250....
--

-Mel Pleasant
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!pleasant

In article <3885@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> pleasant@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Mel Pleasant) writes:
>You'll have to talk to the folks at cbmvax to get this straightened
>out ultimately.  Here's the cause of your problem:
>
>cbmvax	cbit(DEMAND), hutch(DAILY/4)
>cbit	hutch(DIRECT)
>
>If you were pathalias, which path would you choose?  A DEMAND+DIRECT
>path weighs in at 500.  A DAILY/4 path weighs in at 1250....
>
>-Mel Pleasant

Ectually, it's the fault of cbit, since they are advertising a highly
attractive DIRECT connection that no longer exits.  Well, then again
I may have been the one to submit the cbit map entry (sigh...).

An unfortunate case of managment paranoia where two of my leaf sites
can't talk to each other since they both consider anything but outward
dialing a unacceptable security risk...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr