[news.config] UUCP change

schoch@ames.UUCP (Steve Schoch) (12/03/86)

In article <554@aurora.UUCP> kate@ames-aurora.arpa (Kate Rosenbloom) writes:
>For the sake of net.sanity, the UUCP name "ames" is being handed over
>to the "ames.arpa" machine.  This machine will be serving as an
>"Email gateway" to NASA/Ames Research Center.  The old "ames" is being
>renamed "borealis". (To protect innocent users, we have mail forwarding
>set up from "ames" to "borealis".)
>
>Attached is the UUCP map entry for "borealis".  Stay tuned for the "ames" map.
>			Kate

Please note also that most of the uucp and usenet connections to the machine
"nike" have been transfered over to the new "ames".  Because of this, any
map entries for nike you have are probably wrong!  The best thing for uucp
managers to do is to delete the entire map entry for nike and replace it with
the attached UUCP map entry for "ames".

	Steve
--------
#N	ames
#S	ISI/68020, 4.3BSD
#O	NASA Ames Research Center
#C	Jordan Hayes / Steve Schoch
#E	ames!usenet
#T	+1 415 694 4121
#P	MS:240-9, Moffett Field, CA 94035
#L	37 25 2 N / 122 3 27 W
#U	acornrc amdahl aurora borealis cit-vax ll-xn lll-crg lognet2 oliveb
#U	riacs rutgers scubed scuvax sri-spam styx think ucbcad ucla-cs
#R	Internet host ames.arpa -- 128.102.2.3
#W	ames!schoch (Steve Schoch); Mon Nov 24 09:14:15 PST 1986
#
ames	= .ames.arc.nasa.gov
#
ames	acornrc(DIRECT+HIGH), allegra(POLLED+LOW), amdahl(DIRECT+HIGH),
	amelia(LOCAL), aurora(LOCAL), bbncc5(DEDICATED),
	borealis(LOCAL+LOW), bu-cs(DEDICATED), caip(DEDICATED),
	canisius(POLLED), cit-vax(DEDICATED), cmcl2(DEDICATED), decwrl(POLLED),
	dual(POLLED), esl(DAILY/2), harvard(DEDICATED), hao(POLLED+LOW),
	hplabs(DEDICATED), ihnp4(POLLED+LOW), im4u(DEDICATED),
	infopro(EVENING), isieng(EVENING), ll-xn(DEDICATED),
	lll-crg(DEDICATED), lognet2(DEDICATED), mimsy(DEDICATED), nike(LOCAL),
	oliveb(DIRECT+HIGH), philabs(POLLED+LOW), ptsfa(EVENING),
	pur-ee(DEDICATED), pyramid(DIRECT+HIGH), rencon(DAILY), riacs(LOCAL),
	rochester(DEDICATED), rutgers(DEDICATED), scubed(DEDICATED),
	scuvax(EVENING), seismo(DEDICATED), sgi(DIRECT), sri-spam(DEDICATED),
	spar(DIRECT), styx(DEDICATED), sunybcs(POLLED), tektronix(POLLED+LOW),
	teleop(DIRECT), think(DEDICATED), topaz(DEDICATED), ucbcad(DEDICATED),
	ucla-cs(DEDICATED), usenix(DAILY), ut-sally(DEDICATED),
	uw-beaver(DEDICATED), uwvax(DEDICATED), yquem(DEDICATED)

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (12/06/86)

In article <46@ames.UUCP> schoch@ames.UUCP (Steve Schoch) writes:
>Please note also that most of the uucp and usenet connections to the machine
>"nike" have been transfered over to the new "ames".  Because of this, any
>map entries for nike you have are probably wrong!  The best thing for uucp
>managers to do is to delete the entire map entry for nike and replace it with
>the attached UUCP map entry for "ames".

I've installed the new map entry, but things aren't quite right.
Previously I had a large number of paths in my database starting
with "oliveb!nike".  Should I change all the nike's in other peoples'
map entries to "ames" as well?
--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4,sun}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck		HASA (A,S)
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

schoch@ames.UUCP (Steve Schoch) (12/07/86)

In article <712@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <46@ames.UUCP> I write:
>>...most of the uucp connections to the machine >>"nike" have been transfered
>>over to the new "ames".
>>The best thing for uucp managers to do is to delete the entire map entry for
>>nike and replace it with the attached UUCP map entry for "ames".
>
>...Previously I had a large number of paths in my database starting
>with "oliveb!nike".  Should I change all the nike's in other peoples'
>map entries to "ames" as well?

Yes.  All the sites that had a uucp connection with nike now have a uucp
connection with ames.

I am having trouble getting the map entry for ames
entered and the one for nike deleted (Is hplabs!fowler the person to send
them to in No. CA?).  I can't possible hope to do sites other than ames.
Those will get changed as the managers of the other sites get around to making
the changes in their maps.  Some of them still do talk to nike, but that won't
last much longer.

	Steve