[news.config] it's a long long way to New Jersey

warren@pluto.UUCP (07/19/87)

I just noticed a very long path that an article from New Jersey took
to get to New York.  Here it is

pluto!bc-cis!phri!cmcl2!husc6!hao!oddjob!gargoyle!ihnp4!homxb!mtuxo
NY    NY     NY   NY    MA    CO  IL     IL       IL    NJ    NJ

It seems odd that the message goes thru Massachusetts, Colorado, and
Illinois when last time I went to New Jersey, it was just across the
Hudson.

I'm not complaining, so please don't tell me about phone line costs,
but if anyone is in a position to do something about this, I'm sure
many of us would be most appreciative.  I guess it would be nice if
ATT machines sent their news to a backbone site somewhere in the NY
area in addition to sending it to Chicago, or if ihnp4 sent it right
to NY, or if there was an ATT backbone site in NJ that talked to NY.

Of course, I've seen worse paths that didn't fit on two lines, just
this one struck me as having an unusually high path-to-distance ratio.
--
/|/~\~~\    The entire world             Warren Burstein
 |__/__/_/  is a very narrow carrot.
 |          But the farmer               philabs!tg!pluto!warren
/           is not afraid at all.        Why doesn't life come with subtitles?

warren@pluto.UUCP (07/23/87)

In article <410@pluto.UUCP>, warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) writes:
> I just noticed a very long path that an article from New Jersey took
> to get to New York.  Here it is...

Several people along this path have pointed out to me that many of
these links are NNTP and so are cheaper and faster than I thought.
--

woods@hao.UUCP (07/23/87)

>pluto!bc-cis!phri!cmcl2!husc6!hao!oddjob!gargoyle!ihnp4!homxb!mtuxo
>NY    NY     NY   NY    MA    CO  IL     IL       IL    NJ    NJ

>It seems odd that the message goes thru Massachusetts, Colorado, and
>Illinois when last time I went to New Jersey, it was just across the
>Hudson.

  The problem is security paranoia within AT&T. There is an AT&T facility
(all the dr* sites) about 20 miles from here, but we have to send mail
to Chicago to get to them, because they will not set up any links to non-AT&T
sites. I suspect your site in NJ has the same restriction. The path
from MA to CO to IL is all over Internet links and hence is a "free" cost
path and is therefore preferred by the routing software. Apparently there
are large parts of AT&T that can ONLY be reached through ihnp4, so it
often doesn't matter where the site is physically located; to get mail
to them, you have to find the "cheapest" path to Chicago.

--Greg
--
UUCP: {hplabs, seismo, nbires, noao}!hao!woods
CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA