[news.config] Deleting heavy traffic groups

jim@coplex.UUCP (Jim Sewell) (01/09/88)

In article <2663@killer.UUCP>, billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
> Brad Templeton suggests that every month, the two most costly newsgroups be
> removed. He believes this would result in great savings.
>
> This is ridiculous. You may condemn comp.sys.amiga as being worthless because
> you don't own an Amiga, but (as evidenced by the high volume of that
> newsgroup) it IS useful to a hell of a lot of others. And no, I don't own
> an Amiga.

I do own an Amiga and agree that the group is INCREDIBLY useful for both info
and programs.  Where would us Amiga owners be without the information currently
being given to us about the harmful virus strins going around?

> the Amiga owners would take it to comp.sys.misc (does that exist?) or
> comp.sys.m68000 (whatever) resulting in a lot of disgruntled .misc or
> .m68000 readers. A huge flamefest would start, with the only benefit accruing
> to alt.flame fans.

But Bill, following Brad's suggestion even those groups would die eventually.
Soon the only groups around would be the UseNet support groups.

> But it gets better. Templeton goes on to say that some newsgroups, like
> comp.mail.maps, should be exempted from such a policy of newsgroup genocide.
> He implies that comp.mail.maps is inherently worthy and comp.sys.amiga is
> inherently unworthy. Try explaining that to the hundreds (thousands?) of
> USENET-readers-and-Amiga-owners who are utterly indifferent to the very
> existence of pathalias?

What is pathalias anyway?  8-)

The point I would like to make is that even though the heavy traffic groups
do cost more, is it not self-evident by their size that they are helping many
many people?  If anything, I think the smallest groups should be dropped, but
then again they have as much right to eat line charges as the rest of us.
Jim Sewell					"Make knowledge free!"
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, but they are Shareware.
	    Feel free to give out as many copies as you like.
	    If you continue to use them, please send $10.00.... 8-)