[news.config] GOULD9 - UCSD link dead

brian@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Brian Kantor) (01/19/88)

Some time ago the system 'gould9' here in San Diego stopped allowing
'sdcsvax' to log in for uucp transfers.  Repeated calls to the local
Gould sales office have elicited promises for the system manager to call
us back: promises, but no phone calls.

Since we can't log in to deliver their mail and they don't poll us, the
link is dead.

Please mark it out of service in your routing maps.  Maybe somebody else
can get through to gould9; we can't any more.

	Brian Kantor	UCSD Postmaster & News Weenie
		UCSD Office of Academic Computing
		Academic Network Operations Group
		UCSD B-028, La Jolla, CA 92093 USA
		brian@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu	(619) 534-6865

bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman @spot) (01/21/88)

In article <4511@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, brian@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Brian Kantor) writes:
> Some time ago the system 'gould9' here in San Diego stopped allowing
> 'sdcsvax' to log in for uucp transfers.  Repeated calls to the local
> Gould sales office have elicited promises for the system manager to call
> us back: promises, but no phone calls.
>
> Since we can't log in to deliver their mail and they don't poll us, the
> link is dead.
>
> Please mark it out of service in your routing maps.  Maybe somebody else
> can get through to gould9; we can't any more.
>
> 	Brian Kantor	UCSD Postmaster & News Weenie

Unfortunately, we've had the same problem.  We used to be able to contact
gould9 with success, however since they recently have been rejecting our
calls, I decided to investigate with the same exact results.

For now, please keep gould9 in telesoft's list, however note that is VERY
unlikely to work in the mean time.

If ANYONE is able to contact gould9, I'd appreciate hearing from you!!

Bruce Bergman, TeleSoft's Uucp/News Weenie
--
allegra!\                         TeleSoft, Inc.
gould9!  \      crash!--\         (619) 457-2700 x123
           >--sdcsvax!---->--telesoft!bruceb (Bruce Bergman N7HAW)
nosc!     /              /
scgvaxd! /     log-hb!--/         5959 Cornerstone Court West
ucbvax! /                         San Diego, CA.  92121-9891

All expressed opinions belong to "Bill the Cat" or me.  :^)

greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel) (01/22/88)

In article <167@telesoft.UUCP> bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman) writes:
>Unfortunately, we've had the same problem.  ....

Me, too -- or actually, me, three.  Since I was their news feed, I noticed it
right away as a huge backlog of traffic to them.

I wasn't able to get through to gould9, but since I also have a link to a
Gould site up here in Rancho Bernardo, I asked one of the SAs about it.  He
was able to tell me that gould9 had dropped me as a UUCP contact, so I dropped
gould9 as well.  If you contact one of them, they may be able to help you as
well; their names are Bill Haas (haas@rb-dc1), Joe Hollanger (joe@rb-dc1), or
Cathy Killdoo (killdoo@rb-dc1 (not sure of this one)).

I suspect that you will find that gould9 has pulled the plug on you.  It was
sure nice of them to notify us, wasn't it?
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel@SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg@ncr-sd

bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman @spot) (01/26/88)

In article <2001@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel) writes:
> >In article <4511@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, brian@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Brian Kantor) writes:
> >> Some time ago the system 'gould9' here in San Diego stopped allowing
> >> 'sdcsvax' to log in for uucp transfers.  Repeated calls to the local
> >> Gould sales office have elicited promises for the system manager to call
> >> us back: promises, but no phone calls.
>
> In article <167@telesoft.UUCP> bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (Bruce Bergman) writes:
> >Unfortunately, we've had the same problem.  ....
>
> Me, too -- or actually, me, three.  Since I was their news feed, I noticed it
> right away as a huge backlog of traffic to them.
>
> I suspect that you will find that gould9 has pulled the plug on you.  It was
> sure nice of them to notify us, wasn't it?
> -- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel@SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg@ncr-sd

Yeah, sure was!  (sheesh...)

Well, we decided to nuke 'em.  Please remove gould9 from your maps folks.  We
(telesoft) no longer wish association with this site.

Thanks.

bruce bergman