[news.config] sys files public?

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (03/02/88)

In article <14436@oddjob.UChicago.EDU> matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Mr. nEtural) writes:
>It's been a long time since I read the instructions.  Does the
>installation guide no longer say, "The contents of your sys file is
>public"?
>			Matt

Yes, the instructions do say this, but not every sysadmin feels this
way.  During the net.* to comp,rec,soc,talk,etc conversion I sent out
several sendsys'es in an effort to track down problems (there were
lots of them).  I got a couple of vehement complaints from people who
said I had no right to the information.  So there is a difference of
opinion on this.
--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old Internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net