[news.config] The size of the 'alt' subnet

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (02/25/88)

About a month ago there was some discussion on alt.config about how
big the alt 'network' was.  I sent out a sendsys message to find out.
evening (to me) of February 8, and all the responses were generated
(but not delivered to me) by February 16.

Total sites responding: 550
 total .uucp sites: 247
 total .com  sites: 153
 total .edu  sites: 121
 total .org  sites:  13
 total .gov  sites:   6
 total other sites:  10 (arpa, bitnet, cdn, csnet, .net, unspecified)

I suppose I could sort & report on the sites geographically, or
topologically, but I don't know how much more information it would
provide, and I don't have a nice way to to it automatically. (Read: I
don't want to do it by hand).  However, it is clear that alt does not
very far out of North America, or the sites outside of NA don't
respond to sendsys requests.

The arbitron data last posted claimed that alt.sources was carried by
66% of the net.  That's 2/3 of the 710 sites reporting, or 473 sites
that sent in arbitron reports.  At 8900 estimated sites (total) on
Usenet, I should have received about 5900 replies to my sendsys
message.  Since I only got 550, I'd say rather than 66% of the network
sites carrying alt.sources, it might be closer to 6%.  It shows how
the "self-selecting" arbitron sample can produce bogus results.

If the 8900 site estimate for UUCP/Usenet sites is anywhere near
accurate, and only 75% of those carrying alt.* responded to my sendsys
message (a very low figure, considering the message is automatically
generated by the news software), then the percentage of sites carrying
alt.* is about 8%.  The numbers are subject to a lot of play, of
course, but I doubt the alt subnet is carried by more than 10% of the
net, and I'm sure that the 66% figure for alt.sources propagation is
far too high.

Here's a list of the sites that responded, sorted by site name:

3comvax.3com.com
abhg.uucp
acad.uucp
academ.uucp
admin.uucp
adobe.com
agate.berkeley.edu
agora.uucp
ai.uucp
aimt.uucp
albanycs.albany.edu
altura.srcsip.uucp
alvin.mcnc.org
alxfin.uucp
amdahl.uts.amdahl.com
amdcad.amd.com
amethyst.uucp
aob.uucp
aplcen.uucp
apollo.uucp
apple.uucp
aramis.rutgers.edu
argent.uucp
argon.uucp
arthur.cs.purdue.edu
asi.uucp
ateng.uucp
aucs.uucp
aurora.uucp
aw.sei.cmu.edu
axiom.uucp
babbage.acc.virginia.edu
bbn.com
bellcore.bellcore.com
bellman.acc.virginia.edu
blblbl.uucp
blia.bli.com
bloom-beacon.mit.edu
bobkat.uucp
bocar.uucp
boole.acc.virginia.edu
bpa.bell-atl.com
briar.philips.com
brspyr1.brs.com
bsu-cs.uucp
bu-cs.bu.edu
bucket.uucp
bucsb.uucp
buengc.bu.edu
bungia.bungia.mn.org
bunny.uucp
burdvax.prc.unisys.com
caelum.att.com
caip.rutgers.edu
cartan.berkeley.edu
cascade.stanford.edu
cblpe.att.com
cblpf.att.com
cblph.att.com
cblpn.att.com
cbmvax.uucp
cbnea.att.com
cbnscs.uucp
cbosgd.att.com
cbrme.att.com
cbterra.att.com
cc5.bbn.com
cci632.uucp
ccicpg.uucp
ccng.waterloo.edu
ccv.bbn.com
cdes.uucp
cello.hpl.hp.com
cg-atla.uucp
cierra.uucp
cipric.mn.org
cit-vax.caltech.edu
claris.uucp
clyde.att.com
coffee.stanford.edu
coma.uucp
compsys.mu.edu
copper.tek.com
cos.com
countach.uucp
cp1.bell-atl.com
cpesac.uucp
cpsc6a.att.com
cpsc6b.cpsc6a.att.com
crash.cts.com
csri.toronto.edu
csuchico.edu
csustan.uucp
ctnews.convergent.com
cucstud.uucp
cunyvm.cuny.edu
cxsea.uucp
daemen.uucp
daimler.uucp
dalcs.uucp
dalcsug.uucp
dale.acc.virginia.edu
dalsqnt.uucp
dalton.acc.virginia.edu
dandelion.ci.com
dartvax.dartmouth.edu
dasys1.uucp
dayton.uucp
decvax.uucp
decwrl.dec.com
denning.uucp
devon.uucp
dino.ulowell.edu
dogie.edu
donk.uucp
doug.uucp
drexel.uucp
druco.att.com
druhi.att.com
druin.att.com
druks.att.com
drumn.att.com
drune.att.com
drupa.att.com
drusp.att.com
drutx.att.com
druxh.att.com
druxm.att.com
druxu.att.com
druxv.att.com
dsinc.uucp
e.ms.uky.edu
ece-csc.uucp
eddie.mit.edu
edison.ge.com
edsel
edsel.uucp
elbereth.rutgers.edu
eleazar.dartmouth.edu
ellymae.uucp
elmgate.uucp
elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
elxsi.uucp
ems.ems.mn.org
encore.uucp
epimass.epi.com
epiwrl.epi.com
escargot.uucp
etnibsd.uucp
euclid.acc.virginia.edu
fauern.uucp
flight.foobar.uucp
foobar.hf.intel.com
fredonia.uucp
friday.uucp
frog.uucp
fxgrp.uucp
galaxy
gamma.uucp
gandalf.littlei.uucp
gargoyle.uchicago.edu
gauss.rutgers.edu
geac.uucp
genesis.att.com
gethen.uucp
glacier.stanford.edu
glimmer.uucp
gmdzi.uucp
gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
granite.bbn.com
granite.dec.com
granjon.uucp
gronk.uucp
gse.entity.com
gumby.cs.wisc.edu
gvgpsa.uucp
haddock.isc.com
hall.cray.com
hammer.tek.com
hc.dspo.gov
helios.toronto.edu
hi-csc.uucp
hi.unm.edu
ho2cad.uucp
ho7cad.att.com
hocpa.uucp
homxa.uucp
homxc.uucp
hop.toad.com
hotlg.att
hotps.att.com
hou2c.uucp
hou2d.uucp
hou2e.uucp
hou2h.uucp
hou3b.uucp
houdi.uucp
houem.uucp
hound.uucp
hounx.uucp
houtz.uucp
houxa.uucp
houxh.uucp
houxj.uucp
houxk.uucp
houxl.uucp
houxs.uucp
houxu.uucp
houxv.uucp
hp-sdd.hp.com
hpcea.ce.hp.com
hpcea.ce.hp.com
hpcupt1.hp.com
hpcvaab.hp.com
hpcvlx.hp.com
hpda.hp.com
hpdsla.hp.com
hpdslab.hp.com
hpesoc1.hp.com
hpfcdc.hp.com
hpiacla.hp.com
hpihoah.hp.com
hpisoa2.hp.com
hpisod1.hp.com
hplabsz.hpl.hp.com
hpsemc.hp.com
hpsmtc1.hp.com
ht.ai.mit.edu
hub.ucsb.edu
hudson.acc.virginia.edu
husc6.harvard.edu
hutch.uucp
hydra.riacs.edu
icus.uucp
idsssd.uucp
ig.ig.com
iisat.uucp
im4u.uucp
ima.isc.com
imagine.pawl.rpi.edu
infinet.uucp
intek01.uucp
io.att.com
ism780c.uucp
ista.uucp
itsgw.rpi.edu
j.cc.purdue.edu
jade.berkeley.edu
jlsoft.uucp
jolnet.uucp
jpusa1.uucp
julian.uwo.cdn
jumbo.dec.com
kaos.uucp
kestrel.arpa
killer.uucp
kitty.uucp
kksys.uucp
kodak.uucp
koko.uucp
krebs.acc.virginia.edu
labrea.stanford.edu
lakeoz.uucp
lakesys.uucp
laticorp.uucp
laura.uucp
lclark.uucp
leah.albany.edu
left.att.com
lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu
leia.gwd.tek.com
lindy.stanford.edu
linus.uucp
lll-winken.llnl.gov
louie.udel.edu
lsuc.uucp
lzaz.att.com
lzfmd.uucp
lzfme.uucp
lznv.att.com
lzsc.att.com
m2c.org
macom1.uucp
magic4.uucp
mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov
mandrill.cwru.edu
marque.mu.edu
maxwell.acc.virginia.edu
maynard.bsw.com
mccc.uucp
mcco.uucp
mcdchg.uucp
mcnc.org
mcp.entity.com
me.toronto.edu
meccsd.mecc.mn.org
meccts.mecc.mn.org
megatek.uucp
mendel.acc.virginia.edu
metavax.uucp
mibte.uucp
midas.tek.com
mines.uucp
mit-amt.media.mit.edu
mit-caf.uucp
mitisft.convergent.com
mmlai.uucp
mnetor.uucp
moogvax.uucp
mordor.s1.gov
mozart.uucp
mrst.uucp
mtfmi.uucp
mtgzy.uucp
mtgzz.uucp
mtunb.att.com
mtund.att.com
mtune.att.com
mtunf.att.com
mtung.att.com
mtunh.att.com
mtuni.att.com
mtunj.att.com
mtunk.att.com
mtunx.att.com
mtuxj.uucp
mtuxo.uucp
n3dmc.uucp
ncc.uucp
ncrcan.toronto.ncr.com
ncs-med.uucp
ncsugn.ncsu.edu
ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
ndcheg.uucp
nebula.att.com
necis.uucp
necntc.nec.com
nis.nis.mn.org
noao.uucp
noether.uucp
nosun.uucp
nucleus.uucp
nud.uucp
nunki.usc.edu
nvanbc.uucp
oberon.usc.edu
obpa1.uucp
occrsh.att.com
oddjob.uchicago.edu
odyssey.att.com
oliveb.olivetti.com
omepd
orange.qtp.ufl.edu
orca.tek.com
orchid.waterloo.edu
orstcs.cs.orst.edu
oswego.uucp
otter.hple.hp.com
ovaltine.berkeley.edu
oxtrap.uucp
pacbell.uucp
packard.uucp
panda.uucp
papaya.bbn.com
parsely.uucp
paul.rutgers.edu
pbhya.uucp
pbhyb.uucp
pbhyc.uucp
pbhyd.uucp
pbhye.uucp
pbhyf.uucp
pbhyg.uucp
pdp.cs.ohiou.edu
pegasus.uucp
peora.ccur.com
percival.uucp
philabs.philips.com
phoenix.princeton.edu
phoenix.uucp
plnapc.philips.com
plus5.uucp
pogo.tek.com
polya.stanford.edu
polygen.uucp
polyslo.uucp
portal.uucp
poseidon.uucp
princeton.princeton.edu
psu-cs.uucp
psuvax1.psu.edu
psuvm.bitnet
psychsun.stanford.edu
pt.cs.cmu.edu
ptsfa.uucp
pucc.bitnet
puck.uucp
puff.cs.wisc.edu
puffin.uss.tek.com
pwcs.stpaul.gov
pyrnj.uucp
qiclab.uucp
questar.questar.mn.org
ra.rice.edu
radio.toronto.edu
redwood.uucp
reed.uucp
rhesus.primate.wisc.edu
ritcv.uucp
rocky.stanford.edu
rolls.uucp
rosevax.rosemount.com
rtech.uucp
ruby.tek.com
rutgers.rutgers.edu
sarin.uucp
sbo.uucp
scobee.att.com
scooter.uucp
sdcjove.cam.unisys.com
sdcrdcf.uucp
sdcsmb.sm.unisys.com
sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
sgi.sgi.com
shamash.uucp
shark.tek.com
shasta.stanford.edu
shrike.austin.lockheed.com
sialis.mn.org
siemens.uucp
sigmast.uucp
silver.bacs.indiana.edu
sis.uucp
sjfc.uucp
sli.uucp
smegma.uucp
snark.uucp
snjsn1.sj.ate.slb.com
sol.arpa
soleil.uucp
spar.spar.slb.com
spdcc.com
spectrix.uucp
speedy.mcnc.org
spool.cs.wisc.edu
spp3.uucp
spt.entity.com
sq.com
sri-spam.istc.sri.com
step.dwr.com
stsci
studsys.mu.edu
sunybcs.uucp
super.upenn.edu
sw1e.uucp
swan.ulowell.edu
swatsun.uucp
swlabs.uucp
t9103.uucp
tandem.uucp
td2cad.intel.com
teemc.uucp
tekcae.tek.com
tekchips.tek.com
tekcrl.tek.com
tekecs.tek.com
tekfdi.tek.com
tekgen.tek.com
tekgvs.tek.com
tekig.tek.com
tekig4.tek.com
tekig5.tek.com
tekigm2.tek.com
tekirl.tek.com
teklds.tek.com
tekred.tek.com
teksce.sce.tek.com
tektronix.tek.com
telesoft.uucp
temvax.uucp
terminus.uucp
thorin.cs.unc.edu
ti-csl.csnet
tmsoft.uucp
topaz.rutgers.edu
trwrc.uucp
tslanpar.uucp
ttidca.tti.com
tub.uucp
turtlevax.uucp
twitch.uucp
ucbvax.berkeley.edu
ucdavis.ucdavis.edu
ucsd.edu
udccvax1.acs.udel.edu
uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
ukecc.engr.uky.edu
umbc3.umd.edu
umd5.umd.edu
umix.cc.umich.edu
umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
umn-d-ub.d.umn.edu
uni2.bcm.tmc.edu
unido.uucp
unisoft.uucp
uokmax.uucp
uoregon.uucp
uport.uucp
ut-emx.uucp
ut-sally.uucp
utah-gr.uucp
uthub.toronto.edu
utmanitou.toronto.edu
uunet.uu.net
uvaarpa.virginia.edu
uvacs.cs.virginia.edu
uvaee.ee.virginia.edu
v.sei.cmu.edu
valid.uucp
van-bc.uucp
vaxine.uucp
vice.tek.com
videovax.tek.com
viper.lynx.mn.org
virginia.acc.virginia.edu
vixie.uucp
vu-vlsi.uucp
wa3wbu.uucp
watale.waterloo.edu
watcgl.waterloo.edu
watdcsu.waterloo.edu
watdragon.waterloo.edu
water.waterloo.edu
watmath.waterloo.edu
watt.acc.virginia.edu
watvlsi.waterloo.edu
wb3ffv.uucp
westmark.uucp
whuts.uucp
wp3b01.uucp
wucs1.uucp
wucs2.uucp
xanth.cs.odu.edu
xroads.uucp
yetti.uucp
yunexus.uucp
zeus.hf.intel.com
zeus.tek.com
zorch.uu.net

Full data (all the mail replies) can be furnished upon request, but
it's over a megabyte, so don't ask lightly.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I don't know such stuff.  I just do eyes."  -- from 'Blade Runner'

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (02/25/88)

Just a little side note: We at Ohio State receive and redistribute the
alt.* groups, but I see we didn't show up in your list of responding
sites.  One could question why not, of course (it should have been
easy to get a reply back to you from the standpoint of network
topology, both Internet and UUCP), but in any event it's clear that
there are sites doing things with alt.* which didn't get sendsys msgs
back.

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (02/26/88)

In article <5077@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>About a month ago there was some discussion on alt.config about how
>big the alt 'network' was.  I sent out a sendsys message to find out.
>Total sites responding: 550
>The arbitron data last posted claimed that alt.sources was carried by
>66% of the net.  That's 2/3 of the 710 sites reporting, or 473 sites
>that sent in arbitron reports.  At 8900 estimated sites (total) on
>Usenet, I should have received about 5900 replies to my sendsys
>message.  Since I only got 550, I'd say rather than 66% of the network
>sites carrying alt.sources, it might be closer to 6%.  It shows how
>the "self-selecting" arbitron sample can produce bogus results.

I sent this reply to Bob, and I suppose I'll post it as well.

Bob, the flaw in your analysis (in getting your 6% figure) is
assuming that your sendsys reached all the sites on the altnet
and that all of them successfully sent a reply to you.  Nope,
not even close (as I know from trying sendsys in the Bay Area
before).  If INTERNET isn't defined (it isn't in most systems
on the net, still) news will reply to the Path: header, and we
all know how well THAT works.  There are also paranoid netnews
administrators who've turned off the feature.
.
.
.
--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old Internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (02/26/88)

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) wrote:
>I sent this reply to Bob, and I suppose I'll post it as well.

A couple other people sent me similar responses .. "we get the alt
groups but didn't show up in your report."

Hey, I report what I get.  I thought about putting a UUCP-like
ulowell!page, so I should have gotten a large number of responses
anyway.  Ulowell isn't out in the sticks, uucp-wise.

If only 25% of the alt sites could respond to my sendsys request, it
still means about 25%-35% of the net gets alt, which is still a lot
less than *I* had thought originally, and less than half of what
the arbitron stats report.

Until some better method exists for measuring connectivity, the best
we have is sendsys, so that's what I based by report on.

..Bob
--

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (02/26/88)

>>Since I only got 550, I'd say rather than 66% of the network sites carrying
>>alt.sources, it might be closer to 6%.  It shows how the "self-selecting"
>>arbitron sample can produce bogus results.

>If INTERNET isn't defined (it isn't in most systems on the net, still) news
>will reply to the Path: header, and we all know how well THAT works.

Well, setting INTERNET didn't work so hot either. I saw our reply to the
sendsys go out, as well as several from the 20 sites we feed alt.all. All
took the internet route. None bounced. None showed up in the listing.

My experience from my Bay Area sendsys is that fewer than 50% of the replies
get through. If you tree that out on a national level, I would not be overly
surprised if you got a reply from fewer than 25% of the sites receiving sites.

However, the claim that arbitron shows a highly irregular number of alt sites
makes sense. Obtaining alt and running arbitron both require deliberate action
from the sysadmin. Sysadmins who care enough about USENET to run arbitron are
almost certainly much more likely to be interested in alt.

<csg>

reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) (02/27/88)

Did you do a control-group test also? Send out a sendsys to the whole network
(not just the alt subpart) to see what you got back there? I don't believe
you have actually learned anything at all about the relative sizes of the alt
subnet and the complete net until you do that part of the experiment. In the
past when I have send out sendsys requests, I have gotten replies from less
than 5%-10% of the sites that I thought should be responding.

Once you have both the "whole network" and the "alt subnet" counts, then you
can take their ratio to get an estimate of how much of the net gets alt
groups.

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (02/27/88)

We too get alt newsgroups - calmasd.ge.com

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121

jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (02/27/88)

In article <301@bacchus.DEC.COM> reid@decwrl.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
>[about how you should send a sendsys to the whole net as a control]

Also, you might want to try using a different control message (for
both parts of the experiment) like "version".  Sendsys is easily
turned off so that news administrators can keep their connectivity
(names of internal machines, etc.) informaiton private.

Jeff Siegal

denny@mcmi.UUCP (Dennis Page) (02/29/88)

In article <5077@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>About a month ago there was some discussion on alt.config about how
>big the alt 'network' was.  I sent out a sendsys message to find out.

Your data appears to be inaccurate.  There are a minimum of four sites
in our local area which receive at least alt.sources, do not block the
sendsys message, and who's mailpaths are functional.  None of these sites
(including mcmi) appear in your listings.

What newsgroup was the sendsys attached to?
--
Denny Page

Martha, the Clones are loose again!	Don't just stand there... get a net!

rynes@mandrill.CWRU.Edu (Edward M. Rynes Esq.) (02/29/88)

   Just a note:  While our machine (mandrill.cwru.edu) was in your list
of sites that receive the alt groups, the site that feeds them to us (hal)
and the site that feeds them to them (ncoast) were not.  Also, none of the
sites that we feed the alt groups to were listed.  So me-thinks that your
data is no more valid than the arbitron data.

Edward Rynes	Unix Engineer		|      "Give me what I want, and all I
A. R. Jennings Computing Center		|        Can think about is losing it.
Case Western Reserve University		|              I'm losing it!"  K.H.
Cleveland, Ohio   44106			|
(216) 368-2982	rynes@mandrill.CWRU.Edu | {cbosgd|decvax|sun}!mandrill!rynes

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/01/88)

Well, I learned a whole lot about the value of sendsys!

I didn't send a sendsys to the whole net as a control, nor did I send
one out with a UUCP address as a Reply-To: line.  If I ever do another
one, I'll certainly remember this.

I'd like to see a new control message .. 'doesget', where I can send
	Control: doesget alt
and get a response that says
	Subject: site foovax.uucp: doesget alt YES
or
	Subject: site foovax.uucp: doesget alt NO

This way, system admins wouldn't be so paranoid about protecting their
sys files, so they probably wouldn't turn this feature off.  And I'd
only get the information I was looking for, easily parsable by some
mail subject reader.  This also means I'd have to assume everyone was
running the new software that supports the 'doesget' control message!

I did another size test in alt: counted every site that had passed or
generated an article in the last six weeks.  I looked at the Path:
line and counted the number of unique sites I found.  Total: 852 (I
won't bother to list them here).  This data isn't a whole lot more
reliable than sendsys, since there are presumably lots of leaf sites
who don't post, and they won't show up in the total.  However, it
is 300 more sites than responded to my sendsys request!

I can't think of any better ways to find out how many sites carry alt.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I don't know such stuff.  I just do eyes."  -- from 'Blade Runner'

reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) (03/01/88)

I'm always looking for ways to improve or validate the arbitron data, so I
thought I would compare Bob Page's sendsys response with my arbitron data for
roughly the same period.

I took the list of arbitron respondents that claimed to get the group
alt.config, and canonicalized the host names (e.g. changing "3comvax" into
"3comvax.3com.com") and then ran my list and Bob's list through "comm".

Here are the results.

Hosts in arbitron sample:	311
Hosts in sendsys sample:	550
Hosts common to both samples:	161 (29% of sendsys, 51% of arbitron)
Total hosts:			711

Hosts in sendsys only:		389 (125% of arbitron)
Arbitron only:			173 (31% of sendsys)

I don't have any interpretation of this data yet, but I'm posting it so that
other people can look at it and try to figure out what it means. It is very
clear from this data that neither the arbitron data nor the sendsys data is
getting anything close to a majority of the sites out there.

As always, the commercial plug: can I convince any of the 389 sites listed in
the second column to send in arbitron reports?

+Host shown in arbitron data only

|	+Host shown in sendsys data only
|	|
|	|	+present in both
|	|	|
|	V	3comvax.3com.com
V	abhg
abvax.abnet.com
	acad
	academ
actisb
adelie
	admin
	adobe.com
	agate.berkeley.edu
	agora
	ai
	aimt
	albanycs.albany.edu
alberta
	altura.srcsip
	alvin.mcnc.org
	alxfin
		amdahl.uts.amdahl.com
		amdcad.amd.com
ames
ames.arc.nasa.gov
	amethyst
andrew.cmu.edu
	aob
	aplcen
		apollo
	apple
		aramis.rutgers.edu
	argent
	argon
array
	arthur.cs.purdue.edu
	asi
astroatc
	ateng
	aucs
		aurora
auscso
	aw.sei.cmu.edu
	axiom
		babbage.acc.virginia.edu
bacchus
banana.uq.oz
	bbn.com
bcd-dyn
beach.cis.ufl.edu
	bellcore.bellcore.com
		bellman.acc.virginia.edu
bigboy
	blblbl
	blia.bli.com
	bloom-beacon.mit.edu
bnl
	bobkat
	bocar
		boole.acc.virginia.edu
	bpa.bell-atl.com
		briar.philips.com
		brspyr1.brs.com
		bsu-cs
	bu-cs.bu.edu
bu-it
bucasb
	bucket
		bucsb
bucsd
		buengc.bu.edu
	bungia.bungia.mn.org
	bunny
	burdvax.prc.unisys.com
cadomin
caeco
	caelum.att.com
		caip.rutgers.edu
calyx
canopus
	cartan.berkeley.edu
		cascade.stanford.edu
catfish
catlabs
caus-dp
cavell
	cblpe.att.com
	cblpf.att.com
	cblph.att.com
	cblpn.att.com
	cbmvax
	cbnea.att.com
	cbnscs
	cbosgd.att.com
	cbrme.att.com
	cbterra.att.com
	cc5.bbn.com
	cci632
	ccicpg
ccng
	ccng.waterloo.edu
	ccv.bbn.com
	cdes
	cello.hpl.hp.com
cfisun
		cg-atla
chemabs
chinet
	cierra
	cipric.mn.org
		cit-vax.caltech.edu
	claris
	clyde.att.com
	coffee.stanford.edu
cognos
	coma
	compsys.mu.edu
cooper
	copper.tek.com
		cos.com
	countach
		cp1.bell-atl.com
	cpesac
	cpsc6a.att.com
	cpsc6b.cpsc6a.att.com
		crash.cts.com
cs.glasgow.ac.uk
	csri.toronto.edu
		csuchico.edu
	csustan
	ctnews.convergent.com
	cucstud
	cunyvm.cuny.edu
		cxsea
	daemen
	daimler
daisy
		dalcs
	dalcsug
		dale.acc.virginia.edu
	dalsqnt
		dalton.acc.virginia.edu
		dandelion.ci.com
	dartvax.dartmouth.edu
		dasys1
	dayton
ddsw1
	decvax
	decwrl.dec.com
	denning
		devon
diamond.bbn.com
	dino.ulowell.edu
	dogie.edu
	donk
	doug
	drexel
	druco.att.com
	druhi.att.com
	druin.att.com
	druks.att.com
	drumn.att.com
	drune.att.com
	drupa.att.com
	drusp.att.com
	drutx.att.com
	druxh.att.com
	druxm.att.com
	druxu.att.com
	druxv.att.com
	dsinc
	e.ms.uky.edu
	ece-csc
	eddie.mit.edu
		edison.ge.com
	edsel
	edsel
edvax
		elbereth.rutgers.edu
	eleazar.dartmouth.edu
	ellymae
	elmgate
elric
		elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
	elxsi
		ems.ems.mn.org
		encore
eos
ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu
	epimass.epi.com
	epiwrl.epi.com
eplrx7
ernie.berkeley.edu
ers
	escargot
	etnibsd
	euclid.acc.virginia.edu
euler.rutgers.edu
exec
	fauern
fedeva
fermat.rutgers.edu
	flight.foobar
	foobar.hf.intel.com
	fredonia
	friday
	frog
	fxgrp
	galaxy
	gamma
	gandalf.littlei
gang-of-four
garfield
	gargoyle.uchicago.edu
		gauss.rutgers.edu
gcm
		geac
	genesis.att.com
genghis
	gethen
gilroy
		glacier.stanford.edu
	glimmer
	gmdzi
gondor.cs.psu.edu
	gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
	granite.bbn.com
	granite.dec.com
	granjon
grebyn
	gronk
gryphon
	gse.entity.com
	gumby.cs.wisc.edu
		gvgpsa
		haddock.isc.com
	hall.cray.com
		hammer.tek.com
handel
hardees.rutgers.edu
harvisr
hawkmoon
	hc.dspo.gov
hechcx
		helios.toronto.edu
helps
	hi-csc
	hi.unm.edu
	ho2cad
	ho7cad.att.com
	hocpa
	homxa
	homxc
	hop.toad.com
hoptoad
hoser.berkeley.edu
	hotlg.att
	hotps.att.com
	hou2c
	hou2d
	hou2e
	hou2h
	hou3b
	houdi
	houem
	hound
	hounx
	houtz
	houxa
	houxh
	houxj
	houxk
	houxl
	houxs
	houxu
	houxv
	hp-sdd.hp.com
	hpcea.ce.hp.com
	hpcea.ce.hp.com
	hpcupt1.hp.com
	hpcvaab.hp.com
	hpcvlx.hp.com
	hpda.hp.com
	hpdsla.hp.com
	hpdslab.hp.com
	hpesoc1.hp.com
	hpfcdc.hp.com
	hpiacla.hp.com
	hpihoah.hp.com
	hpisoa2.hp.com
	hpisod1.hp.com
	hplabsz.hpl.hp.com
	hpsemc.hp.com
	hpsmtc1.hp.com
	ht.ai.mit.edu
	hub.ucsb.edu
	hudson.acc.virginia.edu
husc4
	husc6.harvard.edu
	hutch
	hydra.riacs.edu
		icus
	idsssd
	ig.ig.com
		iisat
ileaf
	im4u
		ima.isc.com
imagen
	imagine.pawl.rpi.edu
		infinet
	intek01
	io.att.com
	ism780c
	ista
	itsgw.rpi.edu
izimbra.css.gov
	j.cc.purdue.edu
	jade.berkeley.edu
jarvis.csri.toronto.edu
jasper
	jlsoft
	jolnet
	jpusa1
	julian.uwo.cdn
		jumbo.dec.com
		kaos
	kestrel.arpa
ki4pv
		killer
	kitty
	kksys
klinzhai.rutgers.edu
		kodak
	koko
		krebs.acc.virginia.edu
		labrea.stanford.edu
	lakeoz
		lakesys
	laticorp
	laura
	lclark
leadsv.leads.lmsc.com
		leah.albany.edu
	left.att.com
	lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu
		leia.gwd.tek.com
		lindy.stanford.edu
	linus
lll-tis
		lll-winken.llnl.gov
	louie.udel.edu
		lsuc
lzaz
	lzaz.att.com
	lzfmd
	lzfme
lznv
	lznv.att.com
lzsc
	lzsc.att.com
		m2c.org
	macom1
madnix
	magic4
	mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov
		mandrill.cwru.edu
	marque.mu.edu
mas1
math.rutgers.edu
	maxwell.acc.virginia.edu
		maynard.bsw.com
	mccc
	mcco
		mcdchg
	mcnc.org
	mcp.entity.com
	me.toronto.edu
		meccsd.mecc.mn.org
		meccts.mecc.mn.org
	megatek
		mendel.acc.virginia.edu
		metavax
methods
	mibte
	midas.tek.com
	mines
minnow
	mit-amt.media.mit.edu
	mit-caf
mit-eddie
	mitisft.convergent.com
mitsumi
	mmlai
		mnetor
	moogvax
	mordor.s1.gov
moscom
	mozart
	mrst
mrstve
	mtfmi
		mtgzy
		mtgzz
		mtunb.att.com
		mtund.att.com
		mtune.att.com
		mtunf.att.com
		mtung.att.com
		mtunh.att.com
		mtuni.att.com
		mtunj.att.com
		mtunk.att.com
	mtunx.att.com
	mtuxj
	mtuxo
mtuxo.att.com
mtxinu
munsell
	n3dmc
navajo
	ncc
ncoast
ncr-sd
ncrcae
	ncrcan.toronto.ncr.com
ncrcpx
	ncs-med
	ncsugn.ncsu.edu
	ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
	ndcheg
ndmath
	nebula.att.com
	necis
		necntc.nec.com
netsys
newton.rutgers.edu
nicmad
	nis.nis.mn.org
nitro
		noao
	noether
	nosun
novavax
nuchat
		nucleus
nucsrl
		nud
	nunki.usc.edu
	nvanbc
obdient
	oberon.usc.edu
	obpa1
		occrsh.att.com
octopus
		oddjob.uchicago.edu
	odyssey.att.com
ogg
olivea.olivetti.com
		oliveb.olivetti.com
olivee.olivetti.com
olivej.olivetti.com
oliven.olivetti.com
		omepd
onecom
	orange.qtp.ufl.edu
		orca.tek.com
		orchid.waterloo.edu
orion.arc.nasa.gov
	orstcs.cs.orst.edu
	oswego
	otter.hple.hp.com
otto
	ovaltine.berkeley.edu
	oxtrap
ozvax
	pacbell
	packard
palo-alto
		panda
	papaya.bbn.com
		parsely
		paul.rutgers.edu
		pbhya
		pbhyb
		pbhyc
		pbhyd
		pbhye
		pbhyf
		pbhyg
pcrat
	pdp.cs.ohiou.edu
		pegasus
	peora.ccur.com
		percival
	philabs.philips.com
		phoenix.princeton.edu
	phoenix
pixar
	plnapc.philips.com
	plus5
	pogo.tek.com
polecat
	polya.stanford.edu
	polygen
	polyslo
popeye
	portal
		poseidon
		princeton.princeton.edu
	psu-cs
		psuvax1.psu.edu
	psuvm.bitnet
	psychsun.stanford.edu
	pt.cs.cmu.edu
		ptsfa
	pucc.bitnet
		puck
	puff.cs.wisc.edu
	puffin.uss.tek.com
		pwcs.stpaul.gov
pyramid
pyrdc
	pyrnj
pyrps5
pyrtech
qetzal
		qiclab
quest
questar
	questar.questar.mn.org
	ra.rice.edu
		radio.toronto.edu
rayssd
rayssdb
rayssde
		redwood
		reed
remus.rutgers.edu
rencon
		rhesus.primate.wisc.edu
richp1
	ritcv
rochester
		rocky.stanford.edu
	rolls
		rosevax.rosemount.com
	rtech
		ruby.tek.com
		rutgers.rutgers.edu
sandoz
	sarin
sauron
	sbo
scgvaxd
scicom
	scobee.att.com
	scooter
	sdcjove.cam.unisys.com
		sdcrdcf
		sdcsmb.sm.unisys.com
		sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
sdn
	sgi.sgi.com
	shamash
		shark.tek.com
		shasta.stanford.edu
	shrike.austin.lockheed.com
		sialis.mn.org
	siemens
		sigmast
	silver.bacs.indiana.edu
		sis
		sjfc
	sli
	smegma
	snark
	snjsn1.sj.ate.slb.com
	sol.arpa
	soleil
	spar.spar.slb.com
	spdcc.com
	spectrix
	speedy.mcnc.org
sphinx.uchicago.edu
splut
	spool.cs.wisc.edu
	spp3
	spt.entity.com
	sq.com
	sri-spam.istc.sri.com
starfish
	step.dwr.com
	stsci
	studsys.mu.edu
		sunybcs
	super.upenn.edu
		sw1e
		swan.ulowell.edu
		swatsun
		swlabs
		t9103
tahoe.unr.edu
	tandem
		td2cad.intel.com
	teemc
	tekcae.tek.com
	tekchips.tek.com
	tekcrl.tek.com
		tekecs.tek.com
	tekfdi.tek.com
	tekgen.tek.com
		tekgvs.tek.com
	tekig.tek.com
	tekig4.tek.com
	tekig5.tek.com
	tekigm2.tek.com
	tekirl.tek.com
	teklds.tek.com
	tekred.tek.com
	teksce.sce.tek.com
	tektronix.tek.com
	telesoft
		temvax
		terminus
thelink
	thorin.cs.unc.edu
	ti-csl.csnet
titan.arc.nasa.gov
titan.arpa
		tmsoft
toccata.rutgers.edu
		topaz.rutgers.edu
trillium
trwrb.dsd.trw.com
	trwrc
		tslanpar
		ttidca.tti.com
	tub
	turtlevax
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
	twitch
tymix
ucbarpa.berkeley.edu
	ucbvax.berkeley.edu
	ucdavis.ucdavis.edu
ucqais
	ucsd.edu
	udccvax1.acs.udel.edu
	uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
ufqtp
		ukecc.engr.uky.edu
	umbc3.umd.edu
	umd5.umd.edu
		umix.cc.umich.edu
	umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
	umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
	umn-d-ub.d.umn.edu
	uni2.bcm.tmc.edu
	unido
	unisoft
		uokmax
	uoregon
	uport
usceast
	ut-emx
	ut-sally
	utah-gr
uthelios
	uthub.toronto.edu
	utmanitou.toronto.edu
	uunet.uu.net
	uvaarpa.virginia.edu
	uvacs.cs.virginia.edu
	uvaee.ee.virginia.edu
	v.sei.cmu.edu
	valid
		van-bc
	vaxine
	vice.tek.com
		videovax.tek.com
violet.berkeley.edu
		viper.lynx.mn.org
		virginia.acc.virginia.edu
	vixie
voder.nsc.com
		vu-vlsi
	wa3wbu
		watale.waterloo.edu
		watcgl.waterloo.edu
		watdcsu.waterloo.edu
		watdragon.waterloo.edu
		water.waterloo.edu
		watmath.waterloo.edu
		watt.acc.virginia.edu
		watvlsi.waterloo.edu
watyew
		wb3ffv
	westmark
	whuts
wiley
		wp3b01
	wucs1
	wucs2
		xanth.cs.odu.edu
xicom
xray
	xroads
		yetti
		yunexus
	zeus.hf.intel.com
	zeus.tek.com
		zorch.uu.net
zycad

matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Mr. nEtural) (03/01/88)

Jeff Siegal writes:

) Sendsys is easily turned off so that news administrators
) can keep ... informaiton private.

It's been a long time since I read the instructions.  Does the
installation guide no longer say, "The contents of your sys file is
public"?
			Matt

per@erix.UUCP (Per Hedeland) (03/01/88)

In article <1939@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <5077@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>>About a month ago there was some discussion on alt.config about how
>>big the alt 'network' was.  I sent out a sendsys message to find out.

>>  Since I only got 550, I'd say rather than 66% of the network
>>sites carrying alt.sources, it might be closer to 6%.

>Bob, the flaw in your analysis (in getting your 6% figure) is
>assuming that your sendsys reached all the sites on the altnet
>and that all of them successfully sent a reply to you.

Actually, there's another flaw: "the size of the alt 'network'" (by some
definition) isn't necessarily the same as "the percentage of the network
getting alt.sources". We (and I believe many other in Europe) belong to
the latter group, but maybe not the former (depending on the definition).

And no, we didn't get the sendsys message, and no, I don't know the
definition (i.e. what group the sendsys was sent in - alt.config.ctl?).

--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se  or  ...{mcvax,uunet}!enea!erix!per

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/02/88)

Yesterday I posted another list, based on an analysis of the Path:
lines.  Well, the script I used also counted usernames as host names
(ye old fencepost error strikes again).  The real count is 477 unique
sites that have passed an alt group towards ulowell in the past six
weeks, not the 852 that I originally came up with.

This is 73 less sites than were reported in the sendsys sample.
However, 284 of those hosts did not respond to my sendsys message,
making a combined total of 834 hosts.

In addition, 116 hosts did not respond to sendsys AND did not pass an
article, BUT filed an arbitron report claiming somebody there reads
at least one alt group.

Total hosts: 950 sites, plus or minus a few (due to duplicate host
names that I didn't catch) that get alt.  This does not include
those sites that:
	1. did not post an article in the past six weeks,
	2. did not pass an article towards ulowell in the past six weeks,
	3. did not respond to my sendsys control message, and
	4. did not file an arbitron report.
How many sites fall into that category?  Nobody can tell, although
I suspect there's quite a few.

I'd still like to see a better way of gathering network statistics.

..Bob

PS Here's how I got the list of hosts based on Path: lines.

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/spool/news/alt
egrep "^Path: " */* |
	cut -d\  -f2 |
	awk -F! '{ for (i = 1; i < NF; i++) print $i }' $* |
	tr A-Z a-z |
	sort |
	uniq
--

rimbold@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Rob Rimbold) (03/02/88)

In article <303@bacchus.DEC.COM> reid@decwrl.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
+
+ As always, the commercial plug: can I convince any of the 389 sites listed in
+ the second column to send in arbitron reports?
+
+ +Host shown in arbitron data only
+ |
+ |	+Host shown in sendsys data only
+ |	|
+ |	|	+present in both
+ |	|	|
+ |	|	V
+ |	V
+ V

+	dino.ulowell.edu

Hmm.. we *do* run arbitron. At least, we haven't yet been listed as expired.
Please check and let me know if you did indeed receive our arbitron data.
--
'Rob
    Usenet: rimbold@dino.ulowell.edu

emv@fleetwood.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (03/02/88)

In article <5184@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>..Bob
>
>PS Here's how I got the list of hosts based on Path: lines.
>
>#!/bin/sh
>cd /usr/spool/news/alt
>egrep "^Path: " */* |
>	cut -d\  -f2 |
>	awk -F! '{ for (i = 1; i < NF; i++) print $i }' $* |
>	tr A-Z a-z |
>	sort |
>	uniq
>--

If you have MH handy, it's relatively easy to generate the path info
for a newsgroup.  In my MH directory (~/Mail) I've linked Alt to
/usr/spool/news/alt, Comp to /usr/spool/news/comp, etc.  Then a line
like this:

       scan +Alt/sources last:20 -format "%(size)\t%{Path}"

generates size and path information for further munging by awk.

--Ed
Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan mail group.