[news.config] Dont Forget 407, 719,708 also!

Patrick_A_Townson@cup.portal.com (04/23/88)

Thanks to Brooks at CSSS for the reminder on the area code split in
MA coming this summer.

Don't forget these other changes --

407 is being formed out of the northern half of 305. (Southern Florida).
Its in effect as of April 15 with silent forwarding. Sometime this fall
will be the final cutover. Look at 305 on your map, and roughly cut it
in half. The northern half is the new 407.

Southeastern Colorado is now 719. Where 303 had served the entire state,
Pueblo and certain communities in the southeastern corner have been
carved away. That starts this summer, and I believe either 303 or 719
will work at present, but check this out first.

Beginning in November, we here in Chicago split into two parts. The city
of Chicago *only* will remain 312. All the suburban areas presently in 312
will become 708. I think we here will get almost a year of dual addressing
before the final cut. Any suburban area in 815 will remain 815.

Area code trivia: The new 708 area here will be unique. It will be the only
area code in three separate, unconnected parts, with two of the parts
completely surrounded by 312. That's because the cutover will go strictly
by city boundary lines, and there are three communities *completely within
Chicago - surrounded on all sides by Chicago* which are not actually part
of the city. Two contiginous communities north (Norridge/Harwood Heights)
and one south (Chicago Ridge). And, oddly, two little bits of 312 will be
isolated from the rest of 312: Mt. Greenwood Cemetery, far southwest side,
has (and will keep) a Chicago phone number. Ohare Airport, while geographically
in the Village of Rosemont, IL is politically part of Chicago and will be
312 while it is surrounded by 708. Confusing, no? And like the situation in
MA, even though we will dial 1-708 or 1-312 on our calls, they will be
billed in local units.

carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) (04/26/88)

In article <4719@cup.portal.com>, Patrick_A_Townson@cup.portal.com writes:
> Thanks to Brooks at CSSS for the reminder on the area code split in
> MA coming this summer.
> Don't forget these other changes --
> 407 is being formed out of the northern half of 305. (Southern Florida).
> Southeastern Colorado is now 719. Where 303 had served the entire state,
> Beginning in November, we here in Chicago split into two parts. The city
> of Chicago *only* will remain 312. All the suburban areas presently in 312
> will become 708. I think we here will get almost a year of dual addressing
> before the final cut. Any suburban area in 815 will remain 815.

Maryland recently switched to dial 1-area code for instate long distance.
A friend who works for the phone company said that is in anticipation of
a area code split in the next year.

--

Dana Carson
Westinghouse