[news.config] USENET PostScript maps for different perspectives.

news@entire.UUCP (06/03/88)

In article <509@bacchus.DEC.COM>, reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) writes:

> Here is this month's PostScript map of the backbone. It is completely machine
> generated, from Gene Spafford's list of backbone sites and from the uucp map
> files' list of locations and connectivity. ..................................
>
> %!
> % netmap-1.5
> % USENET Backbone in the U.S.
> % Created by decwrl!reid (Brian Reid) Sun May 29 21:53:51 1988

First things first:
    I want to thank Brian Reid for the work that has gone into the creation of
the USENET image maps.  I think it is a "great" service for the net.  (Is this
enough buttering up :-).

    If the creation of the maps is automated, is it possible to get subsets of
the maps, ie a state view of all sites or a regional map for local backbones?
I don't think that it would be necessary for all the possible views be posted
to the net.  Perhaps the "regional" coordinators for the map data entries, can
keep updated archives for their region/states.  If a local site, like entire,
wanted to get a copy, the admin could sent mail to the coordinator and request
the PostScript file(s).

    Small Postscript printers are becomming more and more prevalent, it would
be great to have a USENET map on the wall showing your region/state and your
site located on it.  Brian is this a possible dream, thanks.
--
John A. Gallant                 UUCP:  {..}!rochester!rocksanne!entire!news
Defacto Usenet News Administrator

    Get your facts first,
	and then you can distort them as much as you please.
    Mark Twain