[news.config] rutgers not talking to internet

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (07/22/88)

Well, the admin folks haven't told you about this yet, soo.....

Since a large, nasty thunderstorm (rare in NJ), rutgers.edu and the
rest of the RU machines have lost their sole link to the internet thru
JVNC.
Our arpa connection is already disconnected, and we don't have another
connection to fall back on.  The damage was done on Tuesday night, and
the last time the JVNC link was down, it was down for a month.
This means no nntp news, and no internet mail thru rutgers.

Mark

--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road            that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (07/23/88)

In article <Jul.21.19.12.12.1988.21178@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:

|Well, the admin folks haven't told you about this|yet, soo.....
|
|Since a large, nasty thunderstorm (rare in NJ), rutgers.edu and the
|rest of the RU machines have lost their sole link to the internet thru
|JVNC.
|Our arpa connection is already disconnected, and we don't have another
|connection to fall back on.  The damage was done on Tuesday night, and
|the last time the JVNC link was down, it was down for a month.
|This means no nntp news, and no internet mail thru rutgers.

AND... OH MY GOD!!!... no webber@athos.rutgers.edu!

(sorry, just too tempting.  Bob actually makes USENET interesting)

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill "Spam Eggs Sausage and Spam" Wisner) (07/23/88)

>AND... OH MY GOD!!!... no webber@athos.rutgers.edu!

Wrong. Just a couple hours ago I managed to connect to a rutgers site.
--
Bill Wisner
wisner@killer.dallas.tx.us

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (07/24/88)

From: msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith)

> Our arpa connection is already disconnected, and we don't have another
> connection to fall back on.  The damage was done on Tuesday night, and
> the last time the JVNC link was down, it was down for a month.
> This means no nntp news, and no internet mail thru rutgers.

Mark,

In fact, Jon Trudel did post a message in new.sysadmin that rutgers
was off the internet.  It should be noted that rutgers does continue to
transfer news and mail through its Trailblazer modems.  For those who
are interested, Rutgers is back up, on NSFNET.  Its ARPANET connection
has been disconnected in keeping with DCA's upgrade plan.  For more
information, I refer people to a message
<585585667.0.PULLEN@VAX.DARPA.MIL> in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

dpz@pilot.njin.net (David P. Zimmerman) (07/26/88)

In article <6701@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:

> It should be noted that rutgers does continue to
> transfer news and mail through its Trailblazer modems.

And, in fact, through its other 6 "wimp" modems as well.

Not that the topic really matters now....

					David P. Zimmerman
					Systems Hacker
					University of Rutgers
					Make my day
--
David P. Zimmerman, Rutgers, the NJIN Project, the UUCP Project, etc, etc
dpz@pilot.njin.net       {rutgers,njin}!dpz       zimmerman@zodiac.bitnet