[news.config] UKMA appears to be back up ...

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/27/88)

What can I say .... It was *working* when I left!  :-)

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I'd posted a message here saying that we'd be
down for a day or two in converting the system over to Ultrix (2.2) and
a complete reconfiguration of the mail system.  We did that, and I did get
the mail system configured.  There was a couple of bugs however which I
didn't have time to fix before I went off to my vacation in the current
middle ages.  Shortly after I left problems started happening, and the people
who remained behind couldn't figure out how to fix things and ended up
shutting the system down until I returned.

After coming back I've fixed most of the problems, the mail system is
running again but I'm still hesitant to say that it works perfectly.
The news system is running again but has been moved, a fact only important
to our nntp neighbors.  (The nntp host is now s.ms.uky.edu instead of
e.ms.uky.edu -- I've already sent a message to our news-neighbors
anyway).  We will still appear as "ukma" in Path: lines and our
BITNET and UUCP neighbors will see no change.

I would appreciate mail saying that people saw this note.  But please,
don't *everybody* respond!  :-)  It will make me feel more confident that
the system is working.

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (09/05/88)

In article <10164@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>What can I say .... It was *working* when I left!  :-)

some old news from ukma (dated 14 august or so) is leaking out via
the ukma!uflorida!mailrus links.  I thought I had expire keeping
old article ids around for long enough, but I guess not.

I'll do what I can to extend the time that mailrus keeps track
of ancient news, but in the meantime just think twice about
flaming someone for bringing up old topics (check the date...)

--Ed