[news.config] Other old news from UKMA

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (09/05/88)

In article <673@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>In article <10164@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>>What can I say .... It was *working* when I left!  :-)
>some old news from ukma (dated 14 august or so) is leaking out via
>the ukma!uflorida!mailrus links.  I thought I had expire keeping
>old article ids around for long enough, but I guess not.

I thought the default action for expire *was* to keep old article
ids around ...

Anyway, we've been getting a bunch of old news in the last day or
two from rutgers, since they just switched over their news feed to
our new nntp machine.  Fortunately they were a restricted link,
just 'nearby' articles as I recall.  But it filled up the news file
system (90 megs worth!  of *just* news!) and I ended up running
an expire -e 10.  It's now down to a more reasonable level of about
50-60 megs.

The articles in question are all from early to mid august, and today I
was seeing articles from late august...

Sorry for any inconvenience.  And remember to check the date of articles
before flaming someone talking about old information.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET