[news.config] format for usenet map entries

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (06/10/89)

I've just gotten done with going through news.announce.newusers,
news.admin and news.config looking for something that would tell me
how to go about making a map entry for our news server (rpi.edu) and
I've not been able to turn anything up but for some other entries in
news.config from which I could try to make some educated guesses.
Perhaps it is in an RFC or a manual page somewhere; I rather suspect
it is in an RFC, but I couldn't determine which one and don't have a
way to scan them which wouldn't take a few hours if it ended up being
in one of the upper-numbered ones.

If there is a document which explains how to go about making this map,
could someone please point me to it?  Or could someone just mail me
how to do it?  Please don't flame my stupidity and please don't post
to the net (unless it is something which is actually not very easy for
people to find).  Thanks very much.

(BTW, we don't do UUCP at all if that matters.)

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))
  "I realize the Internet isn't the whole world, but it is the center of it."

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (06/11/89)

In article <TALE.89Jun9211111@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
>I've just gotten done with going through news.announce.newusers,
>news.admin and news.config looking for something that would tell me
>how to go about making a map entry for our news server...

I was about to describe the procedure for you when I got to the line
that says

>(BTW, we don't do UUCP at all if that matters.)

Yes, it matters.  The map entries are to allow UUCP mail to work.
There is no need for you to generate a map entry.  The UUCP map
already says how to get to the .edu domain from UUCP-land, so we all
can already mail to you.

There is no map for Usenet, only a map for UUCP-net (no, folks, they
aren't the same thing).

For those of you who DO need to find out how to generate a map entry
for your UUCP site, check out the README file posted regularly in the
comp.mail.maps group.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) (06/11/89)

In article <3291@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:

>There is no need for you to generate a map entry.  The UUCP map
>already says how to get to the .edu domain from UUCP-land, so we all
>can already mail to you.

>There is no map for Usenet, only a map for UUCP-net (no, folks, they
>aren't the same thing).

This is all quite true, but I would like to encourage as many people as
possible to submit comp.mail.maps entries. They contain valuable information
over and above their original purpose which was the routing of uucp mail.
They are a database of host administrators. They are a database of machine
types. They contain latitude and longitude information that can be sued to
draw maps of any network. They contain telephone numbers to help reach
people. Even though Joe is right, that you don't need to generate one, it
would be awfully nice if you did anyhow. At least I think so.

Brian Reid

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/11/89)

The maps aren't just UUCP, they're also Usenet maps.  If a site
gets news, even if they don't run UUCP, it's worth having an
entry.  Even if the only non-# line is
	rpi.edu	.rpi.edu

/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.