[news.config] Expect major outages due to Bay Area earthquake

wcs) (10/18/89)

PLEASE SHUT OFF UUCP TO BAY AREA AND MAYBE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.
There was a major earthquake in the Bay Area last night, with short-term
power disruption and unknown long-term problems.  Some buildings
have collapsed or burned.  Richter 7.0.  People are being asked to
stay away from work until things are cleared up, so don't expect
anything to be fixed for a while.  Please don't telephone anyone in
the area for a few days.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
# also 201-271-4712 tarpon.att.com!wcs Somerset 4C423 Corp.Pk 3 FAX 469-1355

#		.... counting stars by candlelight ....

scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) (10/19/89)

In article <4849@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> wcs@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs) writes:
>PLEASE SHUT OFF UUCP TO BAY AREA AND MAYBE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.

Please ignore this message, at least partially.  You may want to shut off
automatic polling, but most South Bay Area sites seem to be up and running.
--
Scott Hazen Mueller| scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (ames|pyramid|vsi1)!zorch!scott
685 Balfour Drive  | (408) 298-6213   |Mail to fusion-request@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (10/19/89)

In article <4849@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> wcs@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs) writes:
>PLEASE SHUT OFF UUCP TO BAY AREA AND MAYBE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.

The phone system was quite congested today, but by midnight things
were working quite fine.  Since most long-distance uucp traffic
occurs at night this can probably safely be ignored.

(The packet nets may be another matter -- the local Telenet 2400
indial does not answer and the 1200 indial seems to be permanently
busy.  Haven't tried Tymnet.)

>Some buildings have collapsed or burned.

Relatively few, many if not the majority are (were) residential
buildings in San Francisco itself.  Plus the bridge and freeway
collapses.

>People are being asked to
>stay away from work until things are cleared up, so don't expect
>anything to be fixed for a while.

Nonsense.  Except for those in San Francisco, most Bay Area
businesses were open today, and the few that weren't (notably
Apple) will be open tomorrow.  And as far as the networks are
concerned there doesn't seem to be much in need of repair --
within 24 hours all of ditka's Bay Area uucp neighbors seemed
to be back to normal, while both BITNET and the Internet were
working fine from SLAC (Stanford) to the outside world today.

>Please don't telephone anyone in the area for a few days.

A reasonable suggestion, though after midnight PDT it may not much
matter.

Yes, things are a bit messy here.  But there's no need for people
going around inciting mass hysteria.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP		apple!zygot!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308 (home)	|Internet	kls@ebnextk.slac.stanford.edu

romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (10/20/89)

In article <926@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>In article <4849@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> wcs@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs) writes:
>>PLEASE SHUT OFF UUCP TO BAY AREA AND MAYBE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.
>
>Please ignore this message, at least partially.  You may want to shut off
>automatic polling, but most South Bay Area sites seem to be up and running.

Yes. News is making it into the penninsula. Most areas here were not
so hard hit; San Francisco, Oakland, Santa Cruz and some parts of San
Jose seem to have taken the most damagae. The middle didn't suffer as
much.

As of today, it is still difficult to get telephone circuits into San
Francisco. I don't know about out of San Francisco. Yesterday (Wednesday)
evening, getting circuits to or from Santa Cruz was also difficult.

As far as I can tell, Internet connectivity is non-existent.

So please, don't indiscriminately turn off your newsfeeds to the bay
area. If your neighbor is one of the major sites like apple or
hoptoad, try to contact the administrators for that site if that
site's not getting through. If they are, keep those bits flowing.

Thanks.
--
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@ftp.com

karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (10/20/89)

romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us writes:
   As far as I can tell, Internet connectivity is non-existent.

On the contrary, I can see ucbvax from Ohio State:

[20] [9:26pm] giza:/n/dinosaur/0/karl> finger @ucbvax
[ucbvax.berkeley.edu]
Login    Name                 Tty  Idle  Login        Office    Office Phone
root     Mr. ucbVax            h8    3d  Sep 27  1989 458E      <415>642-8925
uucp     UNIX-to-UNIX Copy    *d0        Oct 19 14:57

--Karl

romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (10/21/89)

In article <KARL.89Oct19212921@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us writes:
>   As far as I can tell, Internet connectivity is non-existent.
>
>On the contrary, I can see ucbvax from Ohio State:
>
>[20] [9:26pm] giza:/n/dinosaur/0/karl> finger @ucbvax
>[ucbvax.berkeley.edu]
>Login    Name                 Tty  Idle  Login        Office    Office Phone
>root     Mr. ucbVax            h8    3d  Sep 27  1989 458E      <415>642-8925
>uucp     UNIX-to-UNIX Copy    *d0        Oct 19 14:57

Eh, it got fixed fast, yes? It was true when I wrote it.
--

rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) (10/22/89)

In article <7876@asylum.SF.CA.US> romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) writes:
   In article <KARL.89Oct19212921@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
   >romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us writes:
   >   As far as I can tell, Internet connectivity is non-existent.
   >
   >On the contrary, I can see ucbvax from Ohio State:
   >
   >[20] [9:26pm] giza:/n/dinosaur/0/karl> finger @ucbvax
   >[ucbvax.berkeley.edu]
   >Login    Name                 Tty  Idle  Login        Office    Office Phone
   >root     Mr. ucbVax            h8    3d  Sep 27  1989 458E      <415>642-8925
   >uucp     UNIX-to-UNIX Copy    *d0        Oct 19 14:57

   Eh, it got fixed fast, yes? It was true when I wrote it.

err.  we (berkeley) lost internet connectivity at 2:00 pm the 17th.
the prognosis was that the telco would have our barnet T1 back up by
6:00 pm.  but then the quake hit at 5:04...  we eventually got back on
about 24 hours later.

hell, our machines didn't even go down.

rob
--
			  william robertson
		       rob@violet.berkeley.edu

	     symbolic links are the GOTO's of filesystems