[news.config] duplicate sites?

nagel@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU (Mark Nagel) (10/29/89)

Apparently there are two alice.uucp's out there.  One is the home of
Dennis Ritchie at AT&T and a new one that is equivalent to
alice.sp.unisys.com.  Somebody should probably do something about
this.

Mark Nagel
UC Irvine Department of ICS   +----------------------------------------+
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu       | radiation: smog with an attitude       |
UUCP: ucbvax!ucivax!nagel     +----------------------------------------+

In article <6541.625602943@paris.ics.uci.edu>, nagel@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU (Mark Nagel) writes:
|  Apparently there are two alice.uucp's out there.  One is the home of
|  Dennis Ritchie at AT&T and a new one that is equivalent to
|  alice.sp.unisys.com.  Somebody should probably do something about
|  this.

  I thought this was the type of thing the mapping project was going to
prevent? Or is the new one mapped?
that the world is flat!" - anon

nagel@ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (10/31/89)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <6541.625602943@paris.ics.uci.edu>, nagel@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU (Mark Nagel) writes:
>|  Apparently there are two alice.uucp's out there.  One is the home of
>|  Dennis Ritchie at AT&T and a new one that is equivalent to
>|  alice.sp.unisys.com.  Somebody should probably do something about
>|  this.

>  I thought this was the type of thing the mapping project was going to
>prevent? Or is the new one mapped?

Since I don't have the maps, I can't be sure about this, but I _do_
know that a user here sent a letter to dmr@alice.uucp routed through
uunet and it ended up at alice.sp.unisys.com.  I don't know for sure
whether alice.uucp (the intended, at Bell Labs) has a map entry.
--

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (10/31/89)

In article <1526@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  I thought this was the type of thing the mapping project was going to
>prevent? Or is the new one mapped?

It's perfectly legitimate to have alice.sp.unisys.com.  The problem is
almost certainly that the new guys have their news installed incorrectly.
For example, rn, as shipped, wires in a

This code is in a shell script and is easy to fix.  FIX IT, FOLKS!  I see
a lot of articles with bogus Reply-To headers for this reason.  Another
possible fix (actually simpler) is not to generate a Reply-To at all, or
provide one with an empty body (like the Followup-To header).

The UUCP mapping project has no enforcement power, but the rabid
rerouters of the net will send all mail for the new site to Dennis
Ritchie's home base.

--
-- Joe Buck, just visiting/consulting at Entropic
-- write me at: jbuck@janus.berkeley.edu

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/31/89)

In <3690@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
Joe> For example, rn, as shipped, wires in a
Joe> This code is in a shell script and is easy to fix.  FIX IT, FOLKS!

Unfortunately it is wired in a lot more places than just Pnews.header;
most of it is hard-coded into C preprocessor defines.  To finally
eradicate this scourge after rebuilding rn from scratch and getting
stuck with it, and not having the edits to Pnews.header fix it
(because most people don't get Pnews.header if invoking Pnews from rn
directly), I ripped out every .UUCP extension I could find in code in
the *.SH files.  Worked like a charm after it was rebuilt.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))