[news.config] bu name change and smail patch

tower@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (11/15/89)

In article <3115@husc6.harvard.edu> nemap@harvard.harvard.edu (New England UUCP Mapping) writes:

|**** buita is no longer a uucp site ****

|If you are running smail/pathalias, you will need to obtain a patch to
|smail2.5 that will deal with the '.' in the UUCP hostname.

|	thanks, -jj

The patch is appended.

enjoy -len

PS: Thanks to Jeff for a great job helping out with this transistion.

From: dbd@necntc.nec.com (Dave Davidian)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.uucp
Subject: smail 2.5 patch for a dotted hostname
Date: 8 Nov 89 21:54:05 GMT
Follow-ups: comp.mail.uucp

	SMAIL 2.5 PATCH FOR A DOTTED HOST NAME

I am posting this smail 2.5 patch for all to use as appropriate.

I am making no claimes as to whether there should or should not be a
"." in a host name. However, this patch works.

The source of this patch is from cs.utexas.edu and was forwarded from
bu.edu to urartu.sdpa.org (which talks to bu.edu) and was subsequently
tested for several days.

note: the paths file entry for such a case would be:

xy.edu	xy.edu!%s	#which would make smail abort or revert to a
			#smart-host if in domain format (if you are
			#lucky)

				- - -

The problem, as I understand it, is that smail 2.5 wants to treat a
dotted UUCP hostname (such as cs.utexas.edu or bu.edu) as a domain and
not a host.  And it apparently must resolve addresses to a host
and not a domain before it will deliver.  I think smail 2.5 is broken
in this regard.

RFC976 is ambiguous on this.  However, Mel Pleasant and the UUCP Project
have officially blessed dotted UUCP names such as ours.  I doubt
that any future software will have this restriction (and I know that
smail 3+ does not).

Here's a patch which we hand out to all our smail 2.5 peers.

*** headers.c.old	Fri May 27 09:19:59 1988
--- headers.c	Fri May 27 09:27:50 1988
***************
*** 148,153 ****
--- 148,161 ----
  			return(UUCP);
  		}

+ 		{
+ 		char path[SMLBUF];
+ 		int cost;
+
+ 		if(getpath(domain, path, &cost) == EX_OK)
+ 			return(UUCP);
+ 		}
+
  		if(partv[parts-1][0] == '\0') {
  			partv[parts-1][-1] = '\0'; /* strip trailing . */
  		}

--
David Davidian	              |		dbd@necntc.nec.com
			      |		..harvard!necntc!dbd
Facts are facts, in my        |		dbd@urartu.sdpa.org
employer's opinion.	      |		..bu.edu!urartu!dbd

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (11/16/89)

Re: dots in uucp host names.

I think you are going to find other software that makes assumptions
about addresses with dots needing a DNS lookup.  You will also have
problems with some versions of uucp that don't allow such long uucp
names.

--
Branch Technology  <zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us>

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (11/16/89)

Also, while I could sympathize with a desperation patch to deal with
some old dinosaur of a pre-existing node with a dot in its name,
creating a NEW node in this day and age with a dot in the name is
LUDICROUS!  Use another delimiter, or be prepared to spend hour after
hour dealing with net problems.  Says here, life's too short...

--
"NASA Announces New Deck Chair Arrangement For   \_/  Tom Neff
Space Station Titanic" -- press release 89-7654  \_/  tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) (11/19/89)

In article <14919@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>Also, while I could sympathize with a desperation patch to deal with
>some old dinosaur of a pre-existing node with a dot in its name,
>creating a NEW node in this day and age with a dot in the name is
>LUDICROUS!  Use another delimiter, or be prepared to spend hour after
>hour dealing with net problems.  Says here, life's too short...

I've spent very little time "dealing with net problems" in the 18
months of existence of cs.utexas.edu as a UUCP host.  Most of that time
involved handing out the smail2.5 patch.  And that was more than
recovered in the time I *used* to spend explaining to users why we
needed two different hostnames for the same machine depending on which
email transport layer was used.

Personally, I'm quite pleased with the results.

If any of our 74 UUCP peers have been greatly inconvenienced by our
dotted UUCP name, they were too polite to mention it to me.  (The
original author of the smail2.5 patch is one of our peers.  He, no
doubt, was a little frustrated 18 months ago.  No longer.)

cs.utexas.edu!fletcher