[news.config] Call for votes

royle@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (keenan royle) (12/05/89)

This is a call for votes for the group: alt.folklore.computers

Every year hundreds of posts are generated asking questions about
something out of the history of computing.  Many more postings contain
the a few right answers and lots more wrong answers.

I can not think of any other feild that has been around for such a short
period and has such a rich set of folk stories and legends.

I think this topic deserves its own group.

How many times have you heard the questions:
o  What was the NASA flight that blew up because of a mistyped punctuation
   in a Fortram program?
o  What is the real origin of the term "bug".

Don't you have any stories to share about:
o  Exploding card readers.
o  Software thrashing hardware to the point of overheating and erupting
   flames.

So what does everyone think?  I know as an alt group this does not
really need a formal vote and discussion but I would like some
feedback.

cathyf@rice.edu (Catherine A. Foulston) (12/05/89)

In article <30845@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> royle@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (keenan royle) writes:
> [there are lots of legends about computers]
>
>I think this topic deserves its own group.
>
> [examples of the kind of stuff people post over and over in groups
> where it is inappropriate]
>
>So what does everyone think?

I don't know if it deserves its own group - I think giving it a group
will only encourage the dissemination of completely untrue stories.
It seems to me that it will be rather repetetive.

But then, this will probably happen no matter what, and it would be
worth it if it kept the bimonthly-or-so "hey, let's all post our favorite
computer [funny/horror/stupidity] stories" thread out of rec.humor and
various other inappropriate places.  And it would hardly be the first Usenet
group that had the same discussions over and over every few months as new
people discovered the net.
I say go for it.
                          __________________

From reading news.groups and news.admin, I know there are a number of
news admins who are about ready to give up on carrying alt at all.
Every new alt group that they perceive as stupid or useless drives them
a step closer to putting !alt.all in their sys files.  I wonder what
those admins would think of this group?  I wonder if anyone in alt
should care?  I mean, it's true that the whole point of alt is that those
who don't like it can ignore it and refuse to carry it, while those
who do carry it can administer it without worrying about what the rest
of the net thinks, whether a group can get enough votes, etc.etc.  But is
there a point where one should say, "Stop, this is silly, no one will
carry alt if it does this"?  [I don't suggest that this is true of the
above-discussed group.]  If alt consisted only of alt.stupidity,
alt.tasteless, alt.sex.carasso.snuggles, and alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork,
I wouldn't carry it either.  And there are a lot of news admins who
perceive alt that way, who miss the better things happening in alt.
They don't see the freedom, or the good things that come from it.  All
they see is the alt.stupidity.

So how about it?  Should alt EVER consider what the rest of the net
will think, or does that compromise the purpose of alt?

Cathy Foulston
cathyf@rice.edu		usenet@rice.edu
wait, don't start yet, I have to find my asbestos suit.

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (12/06/89)

I would like to propose a guidelines change: Let every "yes" vote POSTED
AS AN ARTICLE count as TEN "no" votes, and vice versa.

Make net.dimwittedness hurt a little and it'll go away a lot faster.
--
Canada -- a few acres of snow.    ^v^v^    Tom Neff
                 -- Voltaire      v^v^v    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

dglo@deimos.ADS.COM (Dave Glowacki) (12/06/89)

In article <14980@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>I would like to propose a guidelines change: Let every "yes" vote POSTED
>AS AN ARTICLE count as TEN "no" votes, and vice versa.
>
>Make net.dimwittedness hurt a little and it'll go away a lot faster.

Oh boy!  You mean I can post a "no" vote for my favorite new group proposal
and get TEN "yes" votes?  What a GREAT idea!!!
--
Dave Glowacki          dglo@ads.com          Advanced Decision Systems