[news.config] newgroup rec.audio.high-end moderated

karl@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Karl Kleinpaste) (01/26/90)

[cough]

The following just showed up in the news-related mail repository here:

| From: news@uwm.edu (Net news owner)
| Newsgroups: rec.audio.high-end.ctl
| Subject: newgroup rec.audio.high-end moderated
| Date: 24 Jan 90 23:36:08 GMT
|
| Vote passed 171 to 17.  The moderator of this group is:
|
| rec.audio.high-end	info-high-audio@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

Just one comment: Posting newgroup messages during the week of Usenix
is quite possibly the very worst time possible to do such a thing.
A rather hefty portion of the largest, heaviest news transfer sites
have their news admins hanging out here in tech paper presentations
(not to mention the bar), and, although there exists a terminal room
by which a lot of us check on our mail and such during the week, this
is a seriously suboptimal time to do anything substantial with news
management, down to and including issuing local newgroups (since one
can no longer trust people not to go off the deep end with bogus
newgroup messages, and hence NONEWGROUPS is #defined in defs.h).  You
only increase the likelihood of causing problems with how far such
groups get propagated because people can more or less lose them as
they catch up on the mess of stuff that happened to their mailboxes
during the preceding week.

--Karl

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (01/26/90)

Any 'heavy site' news admin who loses NEWGROUP mail messages should be
back home learning his trade rather than off at Usenix presuming to
teach it to others.  :-)