[news.config] U. of Hawaii uucp mail & Usenet news cutoff

bob@kahala.hig.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) (02/06/90)

A state legislative inquiry into the propriety of University support
to "outside" computer systems has compelled the Universitiy of Hawaii
to---temporarily, at least---shut off external uucp connections and
Usenet news feeds.

As far as I can tell, this only affects a handful of uucp sites in
Honolulu, most of which have alternative uucp mail paths to North
America.
Bob Cunningham
School of Ocean & Earth Science & Technology, University of Hawaii
bob@kahala.soest.hawaii.edu

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/06/90)

In article <6484@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bob@kahala.hig.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) writes:
   A state legislative inquiry into the propriety of University
   support to "outside" computer systems has compelled the Universitiy
   of Hawaii to---temporarily, at least---shut off external uucp
   connections and Usenet news feeds.

Ouch!  Let's hope this doesn't become a trend.

   As far as I can tell, this only affects a handful of uucp sites in
   Honolulu, most of which have alternative uucp mail paths to North
   America.

Good luck to all of you!

	bob@kahala.soest.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) writes:
>A state legislative inquiry into the propriety of University support
>to "outside" computer systems has compelled the Universitiy of Hawaii
>to---temporarily, at least---shut off external uucp connections and
>Usenet news feeds.
>
>As far as I can tell, this only affects a handful of uucp sites in
>Honolulu, most of which have alternative uucp mail paths to North
>America.

And to think that but a month ago one of those "outside" computer
systems wanted to know if I was interested in working for them.
Aloha.

Hey kids--THIS is censorship--it's government prohibition of the
free exchange of ideas.

Tell your state legislature they're welcome to do without the tax
and tourist dollars "outsiders" generate.  (And I really was
planning on cutting down on my sugar intake anyway...)

					-=EPS=-
Enjoying the warm California sunshine, and spending my money on
the mainland, thank you.

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (02/07/90)

From article <303@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, by eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott):

> Hey kids--THIS is censorship--it's government prohibition of the
> free exchange of ideas.

No, it's not.  The government isn't stopping students from setting up
their own system and paying for their own phone lines to get news feeds.
The government is not required to pay for free speech, which isn't
really free because it's being paid for.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan@aqdata.uucp

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (02/07/90)

In article <303@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>Hey kids--THIS is censorship--it's government prohibition of the
>free exchange of ideas.

This is not censorship.  This what happens when the people responsible
for paying the bills sit up and take notice.

The legislators of Hawaii are responsible to the voting public, of which
USENET users are a very small fraction.  If you think USENET is such a
fundemental human right, put your money where you mouth is and set up
your own system for everyone to use.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

tp@mccall.uucp (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb7.012458.14811@aqdata.uucp>, sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
> From article <303@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, by eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott):

>> Hey kids--THIS is censorship--it's government prohibition of the
>> free exchange of ideas.

> No, it's not.  The government isn't stopping students from setting up
> their own system and paying for their own phone lines to get news feeds.
> The government is not required to pay for free speech, which isn't
> really free because it's being paid for.

Yes, it is. The government has decided that the university can't support
usenet. If the university had decided not to spend their own money on it,
you'd be right. If it isn't censorship, it is limiting the ability of
professional educators to decide how to allocate their resources.

Also, I sincerely doubt that this particular university is different from
any others in the fact that they have many funding sources other than the
state, and so the state mandating such a thing is NOT an issue of what the
government's money is spent on. It could have been, if they had simply said
that state money can't be used for such a purpose.
--
Terry Poot (800)255-2762, in Kansas (913)776-4041
The McCall Pattern Company, 615 McCall Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502, USA

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (02/08/90)

tp@mccall.uucp writes:

>Yes, it is. The government has decided that the university can't support
>usenet. If the university had decided not to spend their own money on it,
>you'd be right. If it isn't censorship, it is limiting the ability of
>professional educators to decide how to allocate their resources.

So what?  Those who have the money make the rules.  If someone doesn't
like it, they can fund their own system.  The state has an interest in
how computer systems, bought with state money, are used.  If having a
newsfeed is of commercial advantage, then the state (and by extension the
University) should either provide one to all comers or only to those with
a reciprocal agreement.  At UIUC the agreement is along the lines of
"by having a UUCP connection with us, you agree to forward UIUC mail."
Leaf sites with no other connections seldom qualify.

Please re-read the base note again:

>A state legislative inquiry into the propriety of University support
>to "outside" computer systems has compelled the Universitiy of Hawaii
>to---temporarily, at least---shut off external uucp connections and
>Usenet news feeds.

Note the reason for the cut-off: support for outside systems.  I tread a
very similar line as News/Mail/UUCP admin at UIUC.  Local businesses that
want a UUCP connection are sent to UUNET unless they can demonstrate some
benefit to the University.
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2987

bob@kahala.hig.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) (02/08/90)

As a followup, it appears that no local systems were completely cut off
from their Usenet news feeds or uucp mail (except that routes through
the uhccux machine are no longer operational).  There were and still
are other routes.  The UH Computer Center probably wasn't even the
primary news feed, just a handy one.

Some additional background (to the best of my knowledge; I still don't
know the complete details myself):  the UH computing center had a
moritorium in effect on new uucp connections (for a variety of reasons,
one for sure was that they felt it was taking a bit too much time and
effort to keep things working right); I understand that some
disgruntled person outside of the University community who wanted a
uucp link appealed to their state legislator, something along the lines
of "hey, why not me too?"  The upshot was a legislative inquiry that
asked what this was all about, why the University was doing this sort
of stuff, and--by the way--what was the official University policy on
all this anyways...

Suffice it to say there's never been a formal policy (though internally
at UH there's been considerable internal debate about what such a
policy should or shouldn't be), and that some UH officials became
concerned enough (note that the University's budget is currently under
review by the state legislature) to trigger the cutoff.

kassover@control.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (02/09/90)

>Yes, it is. The government has decided that the university can't support
>usenet.>--

This is not censorship.  I would be willing to bet *real* money
that if any one professor, or group of professors, were willing
to apply THEIR OWN time, money (grant or otherwise), and effort
(Yes that includes graduate stutden slave-peons) to maintaining a
network node, it would be done.  In fact, it has been done at
several universities that I know of, and probably a whole bunch
that I do not.

I see nothing in the previous postings that indicate that the
University in question has stated that individuals are not
permitted to engage in network activities.  It has simply
declined to apply *ITS* money and resources to these activities.

Furthermore, in a more or less unrelated matter, US District (Or
maybe Circuit) Courts have ruled that State Universities are part
of the State Governments, and therefore may not be sued without
that government's permission.

bret@codonics.COM (Bret Orsburn) (02/09/90)

>Hey kids--THIS is censorship--it's government prohibition of the
>free exchange of ideas.

I sympathize with the sentiment, but, intellectually, this statement
is utter nonsense.

A government ceasing to subsidize something is *not* prohibition,
and is *not* censorship.

A lesson to learn here is that a "free speech" that is dependent on
so many institutions, both public and private, and with no concrete
legal guarantees, is not very robust. If we become wholly dependent
on such a medium, our "free speech" can be taken away at any time.

The printing press is not so vulnerable.

--
-------------------
bret@codonics.com

harbula@edinboro.edu (Dave Harbula) (02/13/90)

In article <6484@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, (Bob Cunningham) writes:
> A state legislative inquiry into the propriety of University support
> to "outside" computer systems has compelled the Universitiy of Hawaii
> to---temporarily, at least---shut off external uucp connections and
> Usenet news feeds.

I've been following this thread with some interest because as a state-owned
university it could probably happen here as well.

As paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) pointed out,
> ...The state has an interest in
> how computer systems, bought with state money, are used...

Yeah, and it has nothing to do with censorship.  A state-owned university
could come under close scrutiny by providing free (or very cheap) services
to commercial organizations.  That could be considered unfair competition
because they are using public funds to subsidize these organizations at the
expense of others.  It's a fine line, but something to think about.

The flip side is that these organizations are most likely to be the ones
that provide financial support through donations.

Fortunately we are still in a position where we are encouraged to provide
community support whenever possible.  The key phrase, however, is "whenever
possible".  Our first responsibility is still to our own campus, and the
State System of Higher Education who pays our bills.

	- Dave Harbula