[news.config] attctc & texbell

sob@bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (02/26/90)

Site "attctc" is no longer with us. The management at ATT decided without
warning to remove it from service.

Site "texbell" crashed on Friday. It should be back in service as you read
this.

The Texas uucpmaps will be updated to refect the absence of "attctc" as
a valid site.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) (02/27/90)

In article <225@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, sob@bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:

> Site "attctc" is no longer with us. The management at ATT decided without
> warning to remove it from service.

Dollars to donuts this is related to the stolen 911 source code
investigation.  This seems to be spreading...

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561 voice   /   friedl@vsi.com   /   {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"Winning the Baldridge Quality Award is as easy as falling off a horse." - me

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (02/28/90)

In article <367@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) writes:
>> Site "attctc" is no longer with us. The management at ATT decided without
>> warning to remove it from service.
>Dollars to donuts this is related to the stolen 911 source code
>investigation.  This seems to be spreading...

	Uh, not really.   Glombed from comp.dcom.telcom...

The news on the street is that there is more to the Jolnet stink than
has been previously revealed --
We're told by a deep-throat type that AT&T is on the war path about
their software, and that 3b2 people in particular are targeted for
'counseling' and whatever corrective action is deemed necessary by
'the authorities'.
So the story on the street goes, another prominent netter was arrested
just recently by the same friendly folks who shut down Jolnet not long
ago. Like jolnet, netsys went down abruptly, with *everything*
confiscated, including a box of old busted up circuit boards in the
basement which hadn't been looked at in years. Now comes news that
attcdc, formerly known as killer went off line in a hurry.....
When 'the authorities' come a-calling, with warrant in hand, and their
credentials in order, they start looking for Mother's source code; 3b2
stuff and the like, and they keep looking until they find it.

Jolnet ===> netsys ===> attcdc (killer) ===>  your 3b2 site name here.

	Seems it is not a good idea to be a public access
	UNIX system nowadays....

	-randy
--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) (02/28/90)

sob@bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:

>Site "attctc" is no longer with us. The management at ATT decided without
>warning to remove it from service.

Let's hear it for network cooperation and supportiveness.

I suppose most of the managements whose budgets pay for uucp-net
operation don't really understand what the community is like.

David Dick