[comp.text] vi question

fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick) (11/18/86)

After executing a shell command from within vi or after typing
':set all' there is usually a line (perhaps in reverse) prompting
'press return to continue'.  However on a couple of machines I
have been on recently the prompt is 'ERROR'. Except for the
different prompt everything seems to be normal. Does anyone
know what causes this? Is there a file missing? Is termcap/info
not right?

Rick Pasotto

jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) (11/19/86)

> After executing a shell command from within vi or after typing
> ':set all' there is usually a line (perhaps in reverse) prompting
> 'press return to continue'.  However on a couple of machines I
> have been on recently the prompt is 'ERROR'. Except for the
> different prompt everything seems to be normal. Does anyone
> know what causes this? Is there a file missing? Is termcap/info
> not right?

This usually means that the "strings" file is messed up or not in
existence.   This file resides in /usr/lib/ex*strings where * is
the version number of vi, here it is ex3.9strings...
--
Jim Webb             "Out of phase--get help"          ...!ihnp4!hropus!jrw
		"Use the Force, Read the Source"

adam@mtund.UUCP (Adam V. Reed) (11/19/86)

> After executing a shell command from within vi or after typing
> ':set all' there is usually a line (perhaps in reverse) prompting
> 'press return to continue'.  However on a couple of machines I
> have been on recently the prompt is 'ERROR'. Except for the
> different prompt everything seems to be normal. Does anyone
> know what causes this? Is there a file missing? Is termcap/info
> not right?
>
> Rick Pasotto

Yes, this is a symptom of file /usr/lib/exstrings missing or having the
wrong premissions. If the permissions are OK, see the makefile on how to
re-generate the missing file.
				Adam Reed (mtund!adam)

boykin@custom.UUCP (11/19/86)

>After executing a shell command from within vi or after typing
>':set all' there is usually a line (perhaps in reverse) prompting
>'press return to continue'.  However on a couple of machines I
>have been on recently the prompt is 'ERROR'. Except for the
>different prompt everything seems to be normal. Does anyone
>know what causes this? Is there a file missing? Is termcap/info
>not right?
>
>Rick Pasotto

VI keeps all of it's error messages in the file "/usr/lib/exVERSIONstrings".
If an error occurs when VI tries to read the appropriate message from the file
the default error message to be displayed is "ERROR".

If all messages (pattern not found, hit return to continue, etc) produce
the ERROR message, the strings file is probably missing.  If only some
of the messages cause this behavior, it is probably due to the version
of VI and the strings file not matching.

Joe Boykin
Custom Software Systems
decvax!frog!custom!boykin

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (11/20/86)

In article <591@unccvax.UUCP>, fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick) writes:
> [ ... vi is ] prompting
> 'press return to continue'.  However on a couple of machines I
> have been on recently the prompt is 'ERROR'.
  [ ... ]
> Is there a file missing?

Yes.  The binary /usr/bin/vi (or /usr/ucb/vi, or whatever) gets most
(all?) of it's messages from ``/usr/lib/exX.Ystrings'' where ``X.Y''
is the version number of the vi program.  For instance, I have version
3.7 of vi, so the file is ``/usr/lib/ex3.7strings''.  That file is
probably missing from your system, hence the ERROR message (vi doesn't
know what else to say).

Hope this helps.

-Paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.	 UUCP: {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul
Devon Computer Services  COMPUSERVE: 76176,502