[comp.text] Looking for a TeX previewer for VAX-stations running VMS

lcn@philtis.UUCP (Leo C. Noordhuizen @ Philips CAD Centre) (11/25/86)

In the near future we will have a number of VAX-Stations running
VMS (with UIS of course :-) )

As we also use TeX, it would be very useful to have a a
previewer for DVI files.
  Leo C. Noordhuizen	      uucp: {philabs!prlb2,mcvax}!philmds!philtis!lcn
  Philips - Corp. CAD Centre  phone: 31-40-735834
  Building SAQ 2714
  5600 MD  Eindhoven	      The Netherlands

rcb@rti-sel.UUCP (Random) (11/26/86)

In article <110@philtis.UUCP> lcn@philtis.UUCP (Leo C. Noordhuizen @ Philips CAD Centre) writes:
>In the near future we will have a number of VAX-Stations running
>VMS (with UIS of course :-) )
>
>As we also use TeX, it would be very useful to have a a
>previewer for DVI files.
>--

Just how much interest is there in a DVI previewer for VMS vaxstations?
I have written one that works but is not the greatest. Since I can't figure
out how to define fonts on vaxstations, I write each character as a bit image.

Also, I could not begin to distribute the font files but local sites should be
able to build them if they also have metafont. One problem with the fonts is
that with no magnification, they are almost unreadable. But, the previewer
has the ability to magnify the document to make it more readable, or not to
be able to see an entire page at once.

Also, the program is in ADA so you will have to be able to compile ADA.
Any interest? If enough interest, I'll post it to mod.sources.

--
					Random (Randy Buckland)
					Research Triangle Institute