[comp.text] TeX in C?

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (11/17/86)

[]
Forgive me for asking this question yet again ...

Has anyone translated TeX into C?  We have some users on campus who
have an ELXSI running miscellaneous OS's.  Their Unix doesn't include
a Pascal, but they very much would like to have TeX.

Thanks,
--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    XASSHOR@UCHIMVS1.Bitnet

verber@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark Verber) (11/20/86)

Norman Naugle at Texas A&M, and one of his students (Thomas Rekicki)
have translated the Pascal source into C.  They did in by writing a
very good Pascal to C translator.  The C code that the translator
produced can be compiled directly on  Vaxen and Suns.  CTeX runs twice
the speed of the standard UNIX distibution.

I am not sure what the status of the code is.  There was some talk
of turning CTeX into a commercial product, but I have heard anything
recently. It is quite speedy, especially after we profiled the code,
added a few register declairations, and got 40% speed improvement.

I also believe that some people at Case-Western have done the same thing
and are going to put the code in the public-domain.  They were planning
to give it to U of Washington to be distributed on the next UNIX TeX tape.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 422-0915				cbosgd!osu-eddie!verber

larry@jc3b21.UUCP (11/22/86)

People keep referring to the TeX UNIX tape and/or a version of TeX that
runs on UNIX.  I have not been able to find this anywhere (appologies
if it was posted to all.sources, but our newsfeed has been sporadic here
lately).

We are running a 3B2 computer and a local neighbor (University of South
Florida) runs Vaxen.  Both of us would like to obtain TeX and run it on
Laserwriter(s) and HP LaserJet(s).  Could anyone help?  ---Thanks,
--
-----Lawrence F. Strickland (larry@jc3b21)      Dept. of Engineering Technology
                                                St. Petersburg Jr. College

ejp@ausmelb.OZ (Esmond Pitt) (11/27/86)

--
Esmond Pitt,				ACSnet: ejp@ausmelb.oz
Austec International Ltd,		UUCP: ...!seismo!munnari!ausmelb.oz!ejp