[comp.text] DDL: Is it Impress??

romwa@utcs.UUCP (11/29/86)

The new document description language (DDL) which seems to be
a worthy Postscript rival is one of Imagen's products.  Is
there any relationship between DDL and Impress, another name
of a system which drives Laser printers?

SCO XENIX comes with Impress drivers for Imagen's laser
printers.  If DDL==Imagen, then SCO XENIX users have quite a
bonus.

utcs!romwa

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
Computer Systems
Toronto, Ontario

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/01/86)

In <1986Nov29.000913.28639@utcs.uucp> romwa@utcs.uucp (Mark Dornfeld) writes:
> The new document description language (DDL) which seems to be
> a worthy Postscript rival is one of Imagen's products.

	PostScript is wonderful.  If DDL is something which has roughly the
same capabilites as PostScript, but is different just for the sake of being
different, why bother?  My personal opinion is that any laser printer
company that doesn't come out with a true PostScript printer soon is headed
for the tubes.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (12/02/86)

In article <2519@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>	PostScript is wonderful.  If DDL is something which has roughly the
>same capabilites as PostScript, but is different just for the sake of being
>different, why bother?  My personal opinion is that any laser printer
>company that doesn't come out with a true PostScript printer soon is headed
>for the tubes.

Like Xerox?

But seriously, folks, while I, too, like PostScript (a lot), I found
this to be arrogant and a bit narrow.  We have two Xerox 9700s and one
4050 running at full tilt much of the time, and find for many (if not
most) applications (DP-type printing, forms, job output, reports, etc.)
we need the speed of those printers more than we need the fancy
features that PostScript provides.  The probability that someone could
drive a printer at 120 ppm with PostScript and make it available at
reasonable cost approaches nil.  It's not even clear that Xerox can
drive a 9700 with Interpress, which is more oriented toward big,
batch-y sort of situations than is PostScript.

The jury is still out on what will become the standard page description
language, and there really doesn't seem to be anything available yet
that can service both small desktop publishing (I hate that phrase)
applications and large DP printing needs.
--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    XASSHOR@UCHIMVS1.Bitnet

matt@inuxg.UUCP (Matt Verner) (12/02/86)

> In <1986Nov29.000913.28639@utcs.uucp> romwa@utcs.uucp (Mark Dornfeld) writes:
> > The new document description language (DDL) which seems to be
> > a worthy Postscript rival is one of Imagen's products.
>
> 	PostScript is wonderful.  If DDL is something which has roughly the
> same capabilites as PostScript, but is different just for the sake of being
> different, why bother?  My personal opinion is that any laser printer
> company that doesn't come out with a true PostScript printer soon is headed
> for the tubes.
> --
> Roy Smith, {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!roy

A qoute from this months BYTE:

"...DDL supports both binary and ASCII representation (PostScipt is ASCII only),
intelligent scaling of bit-map characters (PostScipt does not), composite
objects (once again, PostScipt does not), full object caching (PostScript
supports font-only object caching), and document layout (guess what? PostScipt
does not)."

Don't get me wrong, I happen to have a QMS ps800 that, when it decides to run atall, is a wonderfull PostScript printer.  But PostScript is hardly the most
powerfull or the best solution around.  It just happens to have taken off
quicker.  In my opinion solely due to Apples backing of it with the laserwriter.

 Matt Verner   				UUCP:  ...ihnp4!inuxc!matt
 AT&T Graphics Software Laboratory	AT&T:  (317) 352-6149
 Indianapolis,  IN

           "The whole point of this sentence is to clearly
             explain the point this sentence is making."