[comp.text] Double-spacing in TeX

chu@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Clare Chu) (11/24/86)

Hi, does anyone know how to get TeX to double-space instead
of single-space?  I haven't figured out how.

Thanks, Clare

myers@dalcs.UUCP (12/03/86)

In article <1577@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chu@batcomputer.UUCP (Clare Chu) writes:

>Hi, does anyone know how to get TeX to double-space instead
>of single-space?  I haven't figured out how.

One of the nice things about TeX is that you can put characters anywhere
you want on the page by playing with the spacing parameters.  One of the
not so nice things is that "Plain" TeX does not include some sort of
default definition of what doublespacing is.  I use the following macros:

% Single and double spacing, etc...

\def\doublespaced{\baselineskip=\normalbaselineskip	% reset to normal
    \multiply\baselineskip by 150			% doublespacing is
    \divide\baselineskip by 100}			%  really 1.5 of normal
\def\doublespace{\doublespaced}				% synonym

\def\singlespaced{\baselineskip=\normalbaselineskip}	% reset interline space
\def\singlespace{\singlespaced}				% synonym

\triplespaced{\baselineskip=\normalbaselineskip		% reset interline space
    \multiply\baselineskip by 3}			% increase X 3

\def\widenspacing{\multiply\baselineskip by 125		% increase interline
    \divide\baselineskip by 100}			%  by X 1.25
\def\whitespace{\widenspacing}				% synonym

Comments:  What I've called "doublespacing" actually only increases the
interline spacing by 1.5, but on a printed page it looks about like you
would want it to.  Actually doubling the spacing makes it too wide.
The \triplespaced macro, on the other hand, really does increase the
interline spacing by a factor of 3.  The only reason I can think of for
using this is if you print a draft and want to mark it up, so I leave
lots of space.  In the middle, you can say \widenspacing and it will
increase the current spacing by a factor of 1.25.  Unlike \doublespaced
or \triplespaced it does not reset the interline spacing to normal first.
So if you find my \doublespaced is a little too narrow for your tastes,
try \doublespaced\widenspacing.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (12/04/86)

In article <2084@dalcs.UUCP> myers@dalcs.UUCP writes:
>\def\doublespaced{\baselineskip=\normalbaselineskip	% reset to normal
>    \multiply\baselineskip by 150			% doublespacing is
>    \divide\baselineskip by 100}			%  really 1.5 of normal
>\def\doublespace{\doublespaced}				% synonym

Note that you can simplify this (and the other examples) by using

	\def\doublespaced{\baselineskip=1.5\normalbaselineskip}
	\let\doublespace=\doublespaced

Doing this sort of thing is not terribly important unless you are
building a big macro package; but if you are, this saves precious
memory space.
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

langdon@lll-lcc.aRpA (Bruce Langdon) (12/05/86)

In article <2084@dalcs.UUCP>, myers@dalcs.UUCP writes:
> One of the
> not so nice things is that "Plain" TeX does not include some sort of
> default definition of what doublespacing is.  I use the following macros:

Suppose you have two footnotes on a page. What I got was double-spacing
within each footnote  --but a single space between the footnotes. Yuk.
Maybe one has to redefine \strut too. I haven't sorted this out.
Has someone else out there?

langdon@lll-lcc.aRpA (Bruce Langdon) (12/07/86)

In article <486@lll-lcc.aRpA>, langdon@lll-lcc.aRpA (Bruce Langdon) writes:
> In article <2084@dalcs.UUCP>, myers@dalcs.UUCP writes:
> > One of the
> > not so nice things is that "Plain" TeX does not include some sort of
> > default definition of what doublespacing is.  I use the following macros:
> >
> Suppose you have two footnotes on a page. What I got was double-spacing
> within each footnote  --but a single space between the footnotes. Yuk.
> Maybe one has to redefine \strut too. I haven't sorted this out.
I just tried this: Redefining the dimensions in \strutbox in proportion to
\baselineskip does fix this problem in a few tests. Define it (see
p. 353) to, e.g.
  \setbox\strutbox=\hbox{\vrule height17pt depth7pt width0pt}
when using \baselineskip=24pt. Just include this line after setting
\baselineskip.

Anyone know if this causes any other problems?
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon@lll-lcc.ARPA
	Physics Department                  "langdon#bruce%d@lll-mfe.ARPA"
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{ihnp4,qantel,ucdavis,pyramid,styx,topaz}!lll-lcc!langdon
                  ..{gymble,ll-xn,seismo}!lll-crg!lll-lcc!langdon

myers@dalcs.UUCP (12/11/86)

>Suppose you have two footnotes on a page. What I got was double-spacing
>within each footnote  --but a single space between the footnotes. Yuk.
>Maybe one has to redefine \strut too. I haven't sorted this out.
>Has someone else out there?

I've had that problem too, but I found I prefered to have the footnotes
singlespaced at the bottom.  Then you say, for example,

  \footnote*{\singlespaced blah blah blah...}

Otherwise you have to muck with the space between footnotes (is that
a \strut?).  I've done that too, but don't remember the easy solution off
hand.

Eric Myers	Dept. of Mathematics, Statistics and Computing Science
		Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

	BITNET:		myers@cs.dal.cdn  (or dube184@dal.bitnet)
	UUCP:		...! { utai,  seismo,  watmath } !dalcs!myers
	ARPA:		myers%cs.dal.cdn%ubc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
	CSNET:		myers%cs.dal.cdn@ubc.csnet
	CDN:		myers@cs.dal.cdn

Cubans, slush fund, cover-up			    <-- food for the spooks.
Contras, Iran, Swiss bank account, deja vu...			(Hi Guys!)