[comp.text] Limit/adjust space between `items' in *TeX

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/09/86)

I am using SLiTeX.  I would like to lessen the space between items
when using the itemize environment and the \item command.  Nothing I
have tried (mostly playing with parsep, parskip, and itemsep -- though
maybe not the correct way!) has worked.  Could someone help please?

Basically I want items to come out on separate lines, but without
extra white space between the lines, such as...

* item
* another
* another with paragraphing such as this
  so that it works correctly
* another
  - subitem
  - sub2
* and so on

E-Mail any help you can.  Also mail to me if you want the answer(s) I
receive.

Thanks,
Fred
{seismo,cbosgd,decvax}!decuac!avolio

rusty@weyl.Berkeley.EDU (Rusty Wright) (12/09/86)

1. The amount of space between items is \itemsep+\parsep; your Local
Guide should have an errata sheet at the back that points this out.

2. You can't simply do something like

	\setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}
	\setlength{\parsep}{0pt}
	\begin{itemize}

because the \begin{itemize} command contains commands that set the
values of \itemsep and \parsep (see the definitions of \@listi,
\@listii, et al.)  As the LaTeX book suggests, you must make up a new
environment using the low-level \list command as in

	\newenvironment{myitemize}{\begin{list}...}{\end{list}}

which is then utilized with

	\begin{myitemize}
	\item
	Blah blah blah ...
	\end{myitemize}

The LaTeX commands you'll need to study are \newenvironment and \list.

--------------------------------------

	rusty c. wright
	rusty@weyl.berkeley.edu
	ucbvax!weyl!rusty

crl@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles R. LaBrec) (12/09/86)

You can reduce the amount of spacing between lines in lists by
adjusting \parskip .  The default at normal size is something like
\parskip=30pt plus 18pt minus 9pt .  The small amount of shrink
prohibits \parskip from ever getting smaller than 21pt.  When I need
to squeeze, I set \parskip=10pt plus 30pt minus 10pt , or something
like that.  I have often wondered why \parskip did not have a larger
shrink component and why interlinepenalty isn't set to infinity, since
splitting slides across pages is almost always undesirable.

Charles LaBrec
crl @ newton.physics.purdue.edu

--
Charles LaBrec

In article <520@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> rusty@weyl.Berkeley.EDU (Rusty Wright) writes:
>2. You can't simply do something like
>
>because the \begin{itemize} command contains commands that set the
>values of \itemsep and \parsep (see the definitions of \@listi,

That's strange, because in my version of latex, it works fine to reset
\parskip .  This is because the slides style defn of \@listi is:
	\def\@listi{\parsep .5\parskip
	\topsep \parsep
	\itemsep\parskip
	\partopsep 0pt}
\parskip is not reset.  I've used this feature many a time.

Charles LaBrec
crl @ newton.physics.purdue.edu
--
Charles LaBrec
crl @ newton.physics.purdue.edu

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/16/86)

I posted a note regarding how to change the space in an item list in
SLiTeX as well as LaTeX.  Here are some answers received:

Fred
----

    From: crl@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles R. LaBrec)