[comp.text] Getting rid of cut marks in troff C/A/T output to LaserWriter Plus

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) (12/22/86)

Can anyone suggest a method for eliminating the cut marks that troff generates?
When the output from ptroff (Adobe's TranScript troff script) get printed on
the LaserWriter Plus there are cut marks at the top of the page.  Short of
buying stock in the company that makes white out, any suggestions would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--Daniel Ehrlich
UUCP:     {burdvax,cbosgd,cmcl2,pitt,ihnp4}!psuvax1!ehrlich
CSNET:    ehrlich@penn-state.csnet  USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu         Department of Computer Science
BITNET:   ehrlich@psuvax1.bitnet          333 Whitmore Laboratory
BELL:     +1 814 863 1142                 University Park, PA   16802
Quote: "The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect the
            opinions, or policies, of The Pennsylvania State University or the
            Department of Computer Science.

SofPasuk@imagen.UUCP (Munach Rvi'i) (12/23/86)

In article <2369@psuvax1.UUCP>, ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> Can anyone suggest a method for eliminating the cut marks that troff generates?
> When the output from ptroff (Adobe's TranScript troff script) get printed on
> the LaserWriter Plus there are cut marks at the top of the page.  Short of
> buying stock in the company that makes white out, any suggestions would be
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

The problem you describe affects not only PostScript printers, but imPRESS,
QUIC, DDL, and all other devices driven by [di]troff.

The macro sets as delivered by most sources of UNIX and/or Documenters
Workbench contain explicit code to generate cut marks at the top of each
page.

List the macro sets (and any files included by same) and edit out the code.

(Suggestion to providers of UNIX systems and/or Documenters Workbench:
Please provide comments in your macro sets to allow such excision of
cut mark code in a clean and easy manner.  You might even consider defaulting
to NO cut marks given that most [di]troff output is CURRENTLY to page printers.)

gww@beatnix..UUCP (Gary Winiger) (12/23/86)

In article <2369@psuvax1.UUCP> ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>Can anyone suggest a method for eliminating the cut marks that troff generates?
>When the output from ptroff (Adobe's TranScript troff script) get printed on
>the LaserWriter Plus there are cut marks at the top of the page.  Short of
>buying stock in the company that makes white out, any suggestions would be
>appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

The cut marks are not being made by troff, but by direction of the macro
package.  For example in the -ms macro package (/usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s) for
troff (ditroff is probably different, mine is in /usr/local/lib/ditmac/tmac.s),
there is a reference to the macro CM.  This macro generates the cut marks.

You can make this macro a ``noop'' by defining it in your input as null.
Viz. 	.de CM
	..

Or you can, as is often done in ditroff, only call it if the output is to
a device like a Versatec that has continuous paper.

Happy printing.
Gary..
{ucbvax!sun,styx,altos86}!elxsi!gww

geoff@ncr-sd.UUCP (Geoff Walton ) (12/23/86)

In article <2369@psuvax1.UUCP> Dan Ehrlich writes:

> Can anyone suggest a method for eliminating the cut marks
> that troff generates? When the output from ptroff (Adobe's
> TranScript troff script) get printed on the LaserWriter
> Plus there are cut marks at the top of the page.  Short of
> buying stock in the company that makes white out, any
> suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

The easiest way I've found to eliminate these bothersome
holdovers from the days of roll-fed typesetters is to edit the
macro packages you use, and replace the dashes in their
definition with spaces.  This way, if you ever need to, you can
re-insert the dashes.

As an alternative method, add

	.de CM (or whatever your macros use for cut marks)
	..

or

	.rm CM

to the head of each file, but the first method is less hassle
and you dont need to remember to add the new "definition" or
"remove" lines.

:r all usual disclaimers

Geoff Walton
Software Publications
NCR E&M San Diego
{wherever}!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!geoff
Even the smallest problem becomes unsolvable if enough meetings
are held to discuss it.

dsmith@hplabsc.UUCP (David Smith) (12/23/86)

In article <2369@psuvax1.UUCP>, ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> Can anyone suggest a method for eliminating the cut marks that troff generates?

The cut marks are inserted by the macro packages.  I cobbled up some
function redefinitions for the -ms and -me packages to oust the cut marks.
They are minimal changes from the preexisting ones, and I am sure could
be made shorter.  Here they are.

For -ms:
\" Kick out the cut marks at the bottom of the page by redefining a macro
.de @m
.@O 0
.lt 7.5i
.tl ''''	\" DRS changed
.@O
.lt
..

For -me:
\" Don't print the cut mark.
.	\"CM - cut mark
.de CM
.po 0
.lt 7.6i
.ft 1
.ps 10
.vs 4p
.tl ''''
.po
.vs
.lt
.ps
.ft
..

rusty@weyl.Berkeley.EDU (Rusty Wright) (12/24/86)

Be careful, for old troff the software that converts the C/A/T output
to whatever your printer wants may depend upon those cut marks.  We
had some software that did.  ditroff has a page command that the
device dependent driver can use to start a new page, old troff
doesn't and the cut marks are about as good as you can do.

--------------------------------------

	rusty c. wright
	rusty@weyl.berkeley.edu
	ucbvax!weyl!rusty

paul@vcvax1.UUCP (paul) (12/24/86)

> In article <2369@psuvax1.UUCP>, ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> > Can anyone suggest a method for eliminating the cut marks that
> > troff generates?
>
> The cut marks are inserted by the macro packages.
> (-ms and -me solutions described)
For -mm, just put the line

	.rm )k

at the beginning of the document.

Paul Kleppner
VenturCom, Inc.
617/661-1230
{seismo!harvard,genrad!mit-eddie}!cybvax0!vcvax1!paul

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/24/86)

In article <2369@psuvax1.UUCP> ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
> Can anyone suggest a method for eliminating the cut marks that troff
> generates?  When the output from ptroff (Adobe's TranScript troff script)
> get printed on the LaserWriter Plus there are cut marks at the top of the
> page.

	Ptroff is a shell script that essentially runs "troff | pscat |
lpr" with the proper assortment of arguments to the various commands.  One
of the arguments to pscat (the C/A/T to PostScript translator) specifies a
Y offset to be used.  We just made the offset big enough to push the cut
mark out of the image area.  Quick and dirty, but it works.  Ah, if only
all troff problems were that simple to solve!
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

> For -mm, just put the line
> 	.rm )k
> at the beginning of the document.

Um, could we please make that something like

	.rm )k		\" suppress cut marks

so that the poor clod who has to work on your document ten years from
now can tell what's going on?  I doubt that this particular feature of
mm is documented (if it is, I still suggest the comment, but less strongly).
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (12/31/86)

In article <2547@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>In article <2369@psuvax1.UUCP> ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>> Can anyone suggest a method for eliminating the cut marks that troff
>> generates?
>We just made the offset big enough to push the cut
>mark out of the image area.  Quick and dirty, but it works.

Wow, kludge :-).  The cut marks are in the macros, so you'll need to
modify the appropriate files.  The -ms macros have a .CM macro that
does the dirty deed, and -mm uses a three-part title to stick them in.
I forget how -me and -man do the cut marks, but it should be similar to
one of the above.
--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    XASSHOR@UCHIMVS1.Bitnet