[comp.text] Other terminals for nroff: HELP

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (01/20/87)

This may be an elementary question, but I sure can't find anything in
any documentation available to me:

Can I describe other terminals to nroff?

Specifically, I want to describe an Epson printer, which is capable
of half-linefeeds (down only), italics, underlining, boldface, Pica
and Elite (and Compressed, for that matter), etc.

I want to give Nroff what amounts to a termcap for my printer.  This
would include the fact that it does italics and underlining (so Nroff
wouldn't have to use backspace-underscore), boldface, and
half-line-feeds-forward (so col wouldn't have to do much).  I can't
post-process the output, because Nroff does nothing for boldface,
and doesn't distinguish between the underlines caused by tbl(1) lines
and by italics.

Has anyone else noticed that the documentation for UL(1) is out of date?
UL does more than underline/standout text: it translates the UNIX/ASCII
standard reverse linefeeds into terminal upline codes, for one thing...
And both it and COL(1) strip unrecognized characters, including any
printer sequences I try to insert between passes.  Of course, I can
rewrite them, but I would rather not.

Am I dreaming?  Should I be using ditroff?  Will ditroff like hearing
about a monospaced output device?  I have System V on tape only; is there
a ditroff for BSD 4.2?

					Inquisitively,

/----------------------------------------------\
\----------------------------------------------/

sl@van-bc.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <524@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>This may be an elementary question, but I sure can't find anything in
>any documentation available to me:
>
>Can I describe other terminals to nroff?

Yes, you must create a tabxxx file for it. Specifically you will need
the tabgen package recently (re)released to net.sources by Bruce Townsend
if you are running sysv. BSD already has the appropriate sources available.

>Specifically, I want to describe an Epson printer, which is capable
>of half-linefeeds (down only), italics, underlining, boldface, Pica
>and Elite (and Compressed, for that matter), etc.
>
>I want to give Nroff what amounts to a termcap for my printer.  This
>would include the fact that it does italics and underlining (so Nroff
>wouldn't have to use backspace-underscore), boldface, and
>half-line-feeds-forward (so col wouldn't have to do much).  I can't
>post-process the output, because Nroff does nothing for boldface,
>and doesn't distinguish between the underlines caused by tbl(1) lines
>and by italics.

See if you can track down my recent posting to net.sources for an example
of an imagewriter nroff file, and various filters to do post processing,
and interface with lp.

You can tell nroff about italics and boldface. I didn't have italics so
used underline. But I shoudn't think it would be to hard to use a post
processor to capture it.

You can in fact do most of the processing with a post-processor depending
on what your requirements are (with the exeption you mentioned).

If you have a proportional print you can tell nroff about it the character
widths for a decent looking printout.

If you cannot track down my posting (net.sources during the first week or
so of Jan/87) please let me know.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532
Todays feature: Perry Mason Solves the case of the Fenced in Woman, Erle Stanley