[comp.text] Nroff for IBM PCs, MS-DOS

tld@ssc-vax.UUCP (01/26/87)

This is a summary of the responses to my earlier request for information
on Nroff for PCs.

From uw-beaver!rutgers!caip!cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!jay Sun Dec 14 02:07:37 1986
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 86 22:36:42 MST
From: Jay Plett <uw-beaver!rutgers!caip!cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!jay>
Subject: Re: Nroff for the IBM PC ?

> Is anyone aware of a version of Nroff that will run on an IBM
> PC or semi-compatible?

I might be able to provide nroff for MS-DOS in a month or two
(binary only).  If you don't hear from anyone who has something
now, let me know & I will contact you when I can tell you some-thing
more definite.

> I am not looking (at least not now) for anything fancy in the
> way of output device capability. I am presently using an Anadex
> 9500 and am planning on getting one of the 24-pin dot-matrix
> printers, something like the Toshiba 321.

Are you capable of writing a ditroff driver?  My MS-DOS ditroff is
working and nearly ready for release, but I wouldn't be able to
provide a driver for a dot-matrix printer in the forseeable future.

	Jay Plett
	UUCP:	{cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl!unm-la!jay
		{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!unm-la!jay
	ARPA:	jxyp@lanl

From uw-beaver!tektronix!hplabs!decwrl!pyramid!amdahl!bnrmtv!blob Sun Dec 14 11:48:32 1986
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 86 09:42:19 PST
From: uw-beaver!tektronix!hplabs!decwrl!amdahl!bnrmtv!blob (Brian Bechtel)

> In article <4190@amdahl.UUCP> sjl@amdahl.UUCP (Steve Langdon) writes:
> >ELAN Computer Group offers ditroff support for the HP LaserJet and LaserJet+.
> >I believe that they have a pretty good package, but without using it I cannot
> >give any first hand comments. If you are interested contact:
> >
> >	Ken Greer
> >	+1 415 948 8193
> >	260 Alta Vista Avenue, Los Altos, CA 94022, USA
>
> I have used this package heavily for the last two years, and it's great!
> (No, I have no financial or other ties to the manufacturer.)
>
> Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
>  "every time that wheel goes round, bound to cover just a little more ground"

This question comes up almost weekly.  Elan does a real good job.
Contact them.

--Brian Bechtel		{amdahl, hplabs}!bnrmtv!blob

From uw-beaver!allegra!nbires!boulder!cdash Mon Dec 15 12:32:40 1986
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 86 17:21:20 MST
From: Charles Shub <uw-beaver!allegra!boulder!cdash>

In article <665@ssc-bee.UUCP> you write:

Xenix has nroff as part of it

cdash

From ssc-vax!uw-beaver!tektronix!cae780!hplabs!elan!kg Sun Dec 14 16:46:15 1986

In article <665@ssc-bee.UUCP>, tld@ssc-bee.UUCP (Thomas L Davis) writes:

ELAN Computer Group has an Nroff package: Nroff, Tbl, Neqn, Col, Checkmm,
MM, and MAN macros, for MS-DOS, all derived from AT&T's DWB 2.0.
Price: $295, includes installation guide and 300+ page user manual.

Address: ELAN Computer Group, 260 Alta Vista Ave, Los Altos, CA 94022
Phone:   415-948-8193.

From ssc-vax!uw-beaver!cornell!rochester!seismo!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown Mon Dec 15 17:21:34 1986

In article <665@ssc-bee.UUCP> tld@ssc-bee.UUCP (Thomas L Davis) writes:

	   ihnp4------\				|------------------------|
	 harvard-\     \			|        terminus:       |
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax!nicmad!brown		| The clearing house for |
	   topaz-/     /			|     rec.arts.drwho     |
	  decvax------/				|------------------------|
	terminus-----/

Quote contest:

Her: Have you ever hung Christmas ornaments in the nude?
Him: Sounds dangerous.
Her: Depends on where you put them.

Who said the lines, where and when?
(*** This person has an elaborate signature, but forgot to include
  the message! TLD **)

From uw-beaver!rutgers!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!montnaro Mon Dec 22 11:21:17 1986
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 86 10:49:28 EST

In article <665@ssc-bee.UUCP> Tom Davis writes:

Try Elan Computer Group. They are at (415)948-8193. Their address is:

	260 Alta Vista Avenue
	Los Altos, CA 94022

They currently only support nroff and ditroff on the HP Laserjet, however,
they provide the entire documenter's workbench for the IBM-PC (including
pic, grap, tbl, eqn and the MM macros).

Skip Montanaro

ARPA: montanaro%desdemona.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
UUCP: seismo!rochester!steinmetz!desdemona!montanaro
GE DECnet: csbvax::mrgate!montanaro@desdemona@smtp@tcpgateway

From uw-beaver!rutgers!caip!lll-lcc!ptsfa!nonvon!apn Sun Dec 28 08:31:01 1986

I don;t have nroff for the PC, but I do have some nroff questions. Let me
know if you have a second ?

	-alex

To: ptsfa!lll-lcc!lll-crg!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!decvax!decwrl!hplabs!tektronix!uw-beaver!fluke!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!tld
---

	UUCP:   ihnp4!ptsfa!nonvon!apn

		100 Drakes Landing Road
		GreenBrae, CA 94904
		+1 415 461 4655

**********************************

So with all of the above, it looks like ELAN has what I am looking for.
I called and got their brochure. I haven't laid out the $295 yet, but am
leaning in that direction.

Thanks to all who responded.

Tom Davis			USENET: ... !uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!tld
C3I Systems Technology		COMPUSERVE: 70110,555
Boeing Aerospace Co.

*** All opinions expressed (good, bad, or otherwise) are mine and in no way
reflect opinion or policy of Boeing Aerospace Co. or The Boeing Company. ***