[comp.text] Portable output

woolstar@cit-750.caltech.edu.UUCP (01/29/87)

Rusty@weyl.Berkeley.EDU (Rusty Wright) writes:
>One of the TeX advantages that you forgot is font compatibility.  If
>you use TeX and stick with TeX's Computer Modern font then you can be
>confident that your output will be the same regardless of what output
>device you use.  With troff you never know what fonts will be
>available at some place until you get there (or ask beforehand).

With the expanding domain of postscript and the dvips program, I can
be reasonably sure that any TeXing I do for one ps machine will be
the same as another. (really handy when preparing stuff for a PS typesetter.)

Now, if someone would just put together .tfm files for the Laserwriter+
extra fonts.  (Glenn@hobiecat are you out there ?)

 John D Woolverton                      "Yes it's true..."
jdw@tybalt.caltech.edu
 woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu