[comp.text] Summary of Macintosh TeX responses

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (01/21/87)

I am informed that the best Macintosh TeX program is TeXtures by
Kellerman & Smith, available from:

      Addison Wesley
      6 Jacob Way
      Reading, MA 01867

      Marketing Agent: Janice Hughes

at a list price of $495, with many discounts available.
It is said to include a Mac previewer, and Computer Modern fonts
for screen, Imagewriter, and Laserwriter.  Although, the official
version is not available yet, it will be shortly, and the current
one is just fine.

Two supposedly inferior versions are: FTL TeX (described as "more
expensive, slower, and less convenient," without all the fonts
that TeXtures has), and MacTeX, about which I have no information
(aside from the fact that it is inferior).

My thanks to all those who replied to my original query.

         .
      -------
      |-----|          A. G. Percus
      |II II|   (ARPA) percus@acf4
      |II II|    (NYU) percus.acf4
      |II II|   (UUCP) ...{allegra|ihnp4|harvard|seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
      |II II|
      -------

           "We are in doubt
            Whether to treat you as an honoured guest,
            Or as a traitor knave who plights his word
            And breaks it."

           "If the casting vote's with me,
            I give it for the former!"

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (01/22/87)

In article <12880003@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) writes:
>Two supposedly inferior versions are: FTL TeX  ...
>  ...   and MacTeX, about which I have no information

It's probably not that important, but the only legal MacTeX is the
product from FTL Systems Inc in Toronto, so the two products mentioned
above may be the same.  Last when I enquired (June 86), MacTeX was
selling for US$750 + US$40 for shipping and a 10% educational discount.

I have more information on MaxTeX, but no personal experience/recommendation.

Riel Smit                                                 +1 519 888 4004
watmath!watrose!gdvsmit  gdvsmit%watrose@waterloo.CSNET  rs@watcsg.BITNET

percus@acf4.UUCP (01/24/87)

> >Two supposedly inferior versions are: FTL TeX  ...
> >  ...   and MacTeX, about which I have no information
>
> It's probably not that important, but the only legal MacTeX is the
> product from FTL Systems Inc in Toronto, so the two products mentioned
> above may be the same.  Last when I enquired (June 86), MacTeX was
> selling for US$750 + US$40 for shipping and a 10% educational discount.

Yes, I've checked about it, and the two products I mentioned are indeed
the same.  MacTex is the only TeX product made by FTL Systems -- there
is no FTL TeX, however.

Sorry about the confusion.

         .
      -------
      |-----|          A. G. Percus
      |II II|   (ARPA) percus@acf4
      |II II|    (NYU) percus.acf4
      |II II|   (UUCP) ...{allegra|ihnp4|harvard|seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
      |II II|
      -------

       "It is our duty to see that our successors commit their daily
        crimes in a conscientious and workmanlike fashion."
                                   -Sir Roderic,
                                    "Ruddigore" by W.S. Gilbert

pwp@iuvax.UUCP (01/27/87)

Since TeX is in the public domain, I find it hard to believe that there is
only one legal TeX for the Mac. Perhasps MacTeX is the name of one such TeX.

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <121500001@iuvax> pwp@iuvax.indiana.EDU writes:
>Since TeX is in the public domain, I find it hard to believe that there is
>only one legal TeX for the Mac. Perhasps MacTeX is the name of one such TeX.

My statement was: "there is only one legal MacTeX".  I did not say there is
only one legal TeX for the Mac.  So you're right, the company in question
obtained the legal rights to call their product MacTeX and no one else
may do the same.