[comp.text] Troff versus TeX: tables and math

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <1244@ucbcad.berkeley.edu>, faustus@ucbcad.berkeley.edu (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
> The one thing I've heard that troff is better than TeX with is tables
> -- I've used tbl a lot and it seems to work fine, but others who have
> used TeX's table-making facilities complain that they are not very
> convenient.

Troff is probably worse than TeX for tables.  You are comparing
troff+tbl to raw TeX, an unfair comparison.  There can be and surely
are macro packages for TeX which make tables very simple and convenient
(I can't name any, I find raw \halign clear and simple to use).

What these people are probably complaining about is mostly that TeX's
table facilities are *unfamiliar* - are the people used to tbl|troff?
I find tbl dreadfully restrictive; I'm used to TeX.  Most of this is
just a matter of what you're used to.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu