[comp.text] Need Kanji fonts

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (02/12/87)

Does anyone know of a North American source for machine readable
Kanji fonts, specifically the Level 1 set defined in JIS C 6226
(1978 or later)?  Preferably in bitmap form on 9 track tape.
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
UUCP: utzoo
	    >!mnetor!george
      seismo
BELL: (416)475-8980

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <3993@mnetor.UUCP> george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:
>Does anyone know of a North American source for machine readable
>Kanji fonts, specifically the Level 1 set defined in JIS C 6226
>(1978 or later)?  Preferably in bitmap form on 9 track tape.
>--

 If such a thing exists I'd be interested also. But then what about
 the kanas (hiragana and katagana ) ?

 Better yet are there any rom replacement chips for a pc character set?

 Mark
--
    edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu
    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (02/13/87)

In article <1055@uwmacc.UUCP> edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
>In article <3993@mnetor.UUCP> george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a North American source for machine readable
>>Kanji fonts, specifically the Level 1 set defined in JIS C 6226
>>(1978 or later)?  Preferably in bitmap form on 9 track tape.
>
> If such a thing exists I'd be interested also. But then what about
> the kanas (hiragana and katagana ) ?
>
> Better yet are there any rom replacement chips for a pc character set?
>
> Mark

If my understanding is correct, (at least) the most commonly used kana
characters are included in the standard.

An interesting thing is that the standard character set also includes
English, Greek, and Cyrillic characters.

I believe there are ROM kanji fonts available but I don't think that
you could just plug them into a PC card (if that is what you were
thinking of).
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
UUCP: utzoo
	    >!mnetor!george
      seismo
BELL: (416)475-8980

hurt@ci-dandelion.UUCP (02/14/87)

--------
In article <3998@mnetor.UUCP> george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:
>In article <1055@uwmacc.UUCP> edwards@unix.macc.wisc.edu.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
>>In article <3993@mnetor.UUCP> george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:
>>>Does anyone know of a North American source for machine readable
>>>Kanji fonts, ...

Several Oriental fonts, including Kanji, are part of the Hershey
font distribution on mod.sources.

guy@gorodish.UUCP (02/17/87)

>If my understanding is correct, (at least) the most commonly used kana
>characters are included in the standard.

Yes.  (There are only 51 kana characters of each type, so I presume
all of them are included.)

>An interesting thing is that the standard character set also includes
>English, Greek, and Cyrillic characters.

They are all double-width, as are the kana characters (2 bytes, 2
character positions).  JIS 6220 contains the half-width (1 byte, 1
character position) forms of the kana.

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <284@ci-dandelion.UUCP> hurt@ci-dandelion.UUCP (Jim Hurt) writes:
>Several Oriental fonts, including Kanji, are part of the Hershey
>font distribution on mod.sources.

  I got a copy of the distribution and was impressed by the list of
  fonts it contained, but unimpress with the documentation.

  First let me say that I can't even spell graphics, or fonts (meaning
  that I know next to nothing about them). But I am willing to learn.

  I was thrilled to get the kanji and kana fonts, but I have no idea
  how to use them. The two programs contained in the distribution were
  of no help ( I know C , but not GKS ).

  Can anyone enlighten me ? Specifically what the hersehey fonts are,
  what the format of the data is and so on.

  Thanks in advance,
  mark

--

In article <13460@sun.uucp> guy@sun.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
:
:They are all double-width, as are the kana characters (2 bytes, 2
:character positions).  JIS 6220 contains the half-width (1 byte, 1
:character position) forms of the kana.

  What's a JIS ?

--

kwok@calgary.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <3998@mnetor.UUCP>, george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:

> I believe there are ROM kanji fonts available but I don't think that
> you could just plug them into a PC card (if that is what you were
> thinking of).

	 if anybody is interested.

Regards

Paul Kwok, Univ of Calgary