[comp.text] [nt]roff oddity

m5d@bobkat.UUCP (02/19/87)

I've run into a very frustrating oddity in nroff/troff.  I've got a
very simple document, with a couple of simple macros to put in a header
at the top of each page.  The document consists of unfilled, unadjusted
lines with tabs; a ".ta" command is at the top to set up columns.  The
top-of-page macro contains a couple of lines of text which is placed
over the last three columns.

The odd effect is that the last printable character from the title in
the top-of-page macro appears over the first column of a new page as
well as in the title (where it should be).  I can't make it go away.

I would have a hard time understanding why this is not a bug.

--
Mike McNally, mercifully employed at Digital Lynx ---
    Where Plano Road the Mighty Flood of Forest Lane doth meet,

m5d@bobkat.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <597@bobkat.UUCP> m5d@bobkat.UUCP (Mike McNally (dlsh)) writes:
>I've run into a very frustrating oddity in nroff/troff ...
>
>The odd effect is that the last printable character from the title in
>the top-of-page macro appears over the first column of a new page as
>well as in the title (where it should be).  I can't make it go away.

Since I posted that (about 15 minutes ago) I've got some more ideas as
to what happens.  The last tab stop is a centered tab stop.  Text
generated within a macro that spills past the centerline of the field
seems to get stuck somewhere, only to pop back out when the macro
finishes.

Lookin' more and more like a bug (I like to give things the benefit of
the doubt; troff is almost older than I am).