[comp.text] Why troff?

sdo@linus.UUCP (Sean David O'Neil) (01/20/87)

Before we got TeX here troff was all we had for typesetting, and it was
a nightmare.  I could never get it to do exactly what I wanted, especially
when typing technical material, and the documentation was poorly done.
Now we have TeX and everything is dandy.  Practically everyone uses it
here now, even people who never typed their own stuff before, which is
just short of amazing.  Not only that but the output really looks great.

My question is this - why does anyone continue to use troff?  This is a
serious question here, I'm being neither smug nor snide.  From the number
of articles about troff posted in this newsgroup there clearly exists a
large number of people who use troff and support it.  Anyone who can
use troff can learn to use TeX, so simplicity can't be the reason, and
besides there are lots of really simple WYSIWYG formatters around today,
so convenience seems unlikely as well.  Is it just inertia?

Does anyone with an overview of both troff and TeX have an answer?  Due
to my somewhat short experience with troff, I can easily imagine there are
good reasons to use it - it's just that I'm unaware of any.

Sean O'Neil

faustus@ucbcad.berkeley.edu (Wayne A. Christopher) (01/21/87)

The one thing I've heard that troff is better than TeX with is tables --
I've used tbl a lot and it seems to work fine, but others who have used
TeX's table-making facilities complain that they are not very convenient.
(Are there any good macro packages for tables in TeX?) Other than that,
it's just inertia...  Also, what sort of self-respecting UNIX hack would
use a text formatter written in Pascal?  :-)

	Wayne

dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) (01/22/87)

In article <1244@ucbcad.berkeley.edu> faustus@ucbcad.berkeley.edu (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
>(Are there any good macro packages for tables in TeX?)

   LaTeX does tables quite nicely.  It is pretty much a macro package for
TeX.

--
    Dan Frank
    uucp: ... uwvax!prairie!dan

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (01/22/87)

There's a deeper reason I'm considering staying with troff: ASCII
output compatibility.  Nroff provides a handy ASCII-printer and screen
previewer for my documents (even tables), and you can't write UN*X
man(1) pages with TeX (because the output isn't readable with more(1)).
When I want BOTH ASCII output and typeset-quality output from one
input document, TeX doesn't provide the answer.

You may have noticed that I am trying to find the answer in TeX, but
my search has been fruitless so far.

Also, a note for the person asking about tables: LaTeX makes tables
LOTS easier.

/----------------------------------------------\
\----------------------------------------------/

mcgraw@eneevax.UUCP (Timothy J. McGraw) (01/23/87)

In article <362@linus.UUCP> sdo@linus.UUCP (Sean David O'Neil) writes:

>Before we got TeX here troff was all we had for typesetting, and it was
>a nightmare.  I could never get it to do exactly what I wanted, especially
>when typing technical material

nroff/troff has served the mainframe publishing world well, especially at
such installations as large daily newspapers where you find little technical
text and need for output better than any laser printer can offer today.

>Now we have TeX and everything is dandy.

According to my friends in the commercial typsetting biz, at best TeX
is considered a technical novelty--in an unfamiliar programming
"language"--invented by an academic for academicians. As you say:

>Practically everyone uses it here now, even people who never typed
>their own stuff before...

>My question is this - why does anyone continue to use troff?...Anyone who can
>use troff can learn to use TeX, so simplicity can't be the reason, and
>besides there are lots of really simple WYSIWYG formatters around today,
>so convenience seems unlikely as well.  Is it just inertia?
>Does anyone with an overview of both troff and TeX have an answer?  Due
>to my somewhat short experience with troff, I can easily imagine there are
>good reasons to use it - it's just that I'm unaware of any.

I admit my experience with both is probably just as limited, but I do
know phototypesetting, and the formatting commands in troff are
more agreeable with people in strict typesetting situations who either
have no need for the technical typesetting features of TeX or don't care
for WYSIWYG anyway because of the sheer amount of text they are dealing with.

P.S. troff without EQN *is* a nightmare!
--
      Tim McGraw             Systems Research Center         U. of Maryland
mcgraw@sphinx.umd.edu     !seismo!sphinx.umd.edu!mcgraw      (301) 454-6167

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/23/87)

In article <362@linus.UUCP> sdo@linus.UUCP (Sean David O'Neil) writes:
> My question is this - why does anyone continue to use troff?

	The simple answer is inertia, history, and portability.  Some form
of nroff or troff has come with every version of Unix I've ever heard of
(has AT&T unbundled it yet?)  so you can be pretty sure that a troff
document will be portable to another other Unix system (modulo the problem
that the target system might not have the right macro package).  While TeX
documents may be more portable in theory, and while TeX is growing in
popularity and is becomming available on more and more systems, it still
has nowhere near the universality that troff does in the Unix community.
Of course, for porting to a non-Unix system, TeX has the advantage (or
Scribe, I guess).

	Also, people have a lot invested in troff and aren't going to give
that up quickly.  While learning TeX may pay off in the long run (and I am
learning it, slowly), I have years of learning invested in troff.  When I
want to get a document done by a deadline, I'm going to pick troff because
that's what I know better.  Maybe by next year I'll have changed my mind,
but not yet.  Also, I've got lots of troff files laying around to rip off.
It is rare that I write a major document without stealing text from some
earlier document -- the last version of some documentation, my blurb for
this year's annual report, a grant application, a research paper, whatever.

	From a purely theoretical standpoint, you can preview troff on an
ASCII CRT or on a line printer.  You can't do that with TeX.  I do a lot of
writing at home where I don't have a bit-map screen or a laser printer to
proof drafts with.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

ken@rochester.ARPA (SKY) (01/23/87)

|The one thing I've heard that troff is better than TeX with is tables --
|I've used tbl a lot and it seems to work fine, but others who have used
|TeX's table-making facilities complain that they are not very convenient.
|(Are there any good macro packages for tables in TeX?) Other than that,
|it's just inertia...  Also, what sort of self-respecting UNIX hack would
|use a text formatter written in Pascal?  :-)
|
|	Wayne

The table mode of LaTeX is as good as tbl. Now that TeX has stabilized
you will see implementations in other languages, like Common TeX in C.
Notwithstanding its Pascal implementation, I typically find TeX processes
my text faster than troff.

On the other hand, some documents need troff, like Unix man pages.
And there is nothing like pic in the TeX world yet.

	Ken

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (01/23/87)

sdo@linus.UUCP (Sean David O'Neil) says:
>My question is this - why does anyone continue to use troff?  This is a
>serious question here, I'm being neither smug nor snide.  From the number
>of articles about troff posted in this newsgroup there clearly exists a
>large number of people who use troff and support it.  Anyone who can
>use troff can learn to use TeX, so simplicity can't be the reason, and
>besides there are lots of really simple WYSIWYG formatters around today,
>so convenience seems unlikely as well.  Is it just inertia?

I love troff.  I tell it exactly what to do, and it does it.  I like
the complete control and flexibility it gives me.  I can get it to do
anything I want it to do, and as I use it more I am constantly
learning more about it.

My past experience with word processing software has predominantly
been with such things as WordStar and WordPerfect.  I used to think
WordPerfect was absolutely wonderful, but the more I use troff, the
less I like WordPerfect.  I'm not familiar with TeX so I can't judge
between the two.

I don't know about inertia.  If you are perfectly satisfied with what
you have where is the impetus to change?

without a                                              Terry Grevstad
 ECNALG                                  Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
                         {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry

ken@rochester.ARPA (SKY) (01/23/87)

|nroff/troff has served the mainframe publishing world well, especially at
|such installations as large daily newspapers where you find little technical
|text and need for output better than any laser printer can offer today.

|I admit my experience with both is probably just as limited, but I do
|know phototypesetting, and the formatting commands in troff are
|more agreeable with people in strict typesetting situations who either
|have no need for the technical typesetting features of TeX or don't care
|for WYSIWYG anyway because of the sheer amount of text they are dealing with.

Gee, aren't these also the people with typesetters fed by paper tape? :-)

I suspect the needs of newspapers are different from jornals (wider
variety of material). But it may interest you that a couple of people
from TV Guide attended the last TUG meeting.

Both troff and TeX are capable of driving high resolution typesetters.
Several ACM journals are willing to take TeX input. Also DECUS proceedings.

TeX or LaTeX may not seem to have as many knobs as troff, but they are
there, just well hidden from casual users. Personally I'm tired of
fiddling with indents and similar minutiae and would rather concentrate
on content.

	Ken

ken@rochester.ARPA (SKY) (01/24/87)

In article <537@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
|There's a deeper reason I'm considering staying with troff: ASCII
|output compatibility.  Nroff provides a handy ASCII-printer and screen
|previewer for my documents (even tables), and you can't write UN*X
|man(1) pages with TeX (because the output isn't readable with more(1)).
|When I want BOTH ASCII output and typeset-quality output from one
|input document, TeX doesn't provide the answer.

I recently posted a postprocessor called DVIDOC that provides
near-printer output for TeX. Basically, it tells TeX that every font it
is using is a pseudo, fixed width font called doc. It is far from
equivalent to nroff because I am not TeXpert to figure out how to
improve it, but it may be a good starting point.

For Internet users, the files are dvidoc.shar[12] in public/latex-style
on cayuga.cs.rochester.edu (a.k.a. rochester.arpa, a.k.a.
192.53.5.209).

Non-Internet users, subscribe to TeXHax to get details of how to
retrieve by mail.

	Ken

PS: It works for 4.[23] BSD. Other OSes will need some work.

scott@tg.UUCP (01/24/87)

Just some insights on (di)troff:
I work for the American Physical Society (this is a graciously borrowed
id, for which I am thankful) and we publish the 45,000+ journal pages
typesetting them with troff/ditroff and supporting preprocessors tbl and
eqn.  Now let me say these versions are severely hacked to cure some
"ills" with these programs.  However, with the problems found (including
the 4-font restriction of the original C/A/T troff), troff seems to be
the best way to publish the high volume of journals as quickly as we do
with few problems.

Ditroff provides flexibility in the area of output support where we have
to produce output for a VideoComp 500 phototypesetter and an Imagen laser
printer (for proof reading).  Ditroff allows us, with some minor hacking
in table sizes, to support up to 20 named fonts and others that we
"mount" as we need them.  We also have the availibilty of using the many
very well written preprocessors like tbl, which is very important in
displaying tables of information.

Another advantage to ditroff is the ASCII output file it produces.  This
output allows for the output destined for one device to be previewed on
a Tektronix 4014 display as well as allowing some editing of this file
to convince a driver for the Imagen that this is output destined for it
(this is necessary to check page/line breaks).  This ASCII output is
also a very good, quick aid to try to determine what ditroff is doing
without printing each piece of output (which can get expensive).

I'll admit the biggest disadvantage of ditroff vs. TeX is TeX's ability
to typeset mathematics.  While I do not think that eqn was designed for
the type of work we force on it, with some hacking (the only program
that has undergone a near rewrite), we have it produceing three-page
physics proofs on a regular basis.  Without the extensive hacks to eqn,
we would not be able to do this job as well as we do.

In conjunction with eqn and ditroff problems, there are many problems
with accents/diacritics.  Since I do not know how TeX handles these, I
can only say that we have new routines and other additions to eqn
grammar to add things like bars, hats, dots, accute and grave accents,
cedillas, and (before ditroff) creating an angstrom from an A and a
degree-symbol.  I think that the American Mathematical Society uses TeX
to produce its journals, maybe someone from that group could give us
insight on TeX and publishing.

THE biggest disadvantage of TeX vs. ditroff I can see is the requirement
of TeX to use its own generated fonts (metafont).  We have looked into
the possibility of using TeX, but have resisted up until now because the
Computer Modern fonts of TeX does not compare with the Times Roman
availble on the VideoComp.  We cannot download fonts to this typesetter
nor is it fiscally feesable to have Information International Inc. (the
makers of the VideoComp) digitize these fonts for us.  For APS, this is
a big factor!

This is just one perspective, not necessarily correct!  I would be
interested in hearing about the uses of TeX on very high volume of
output also requiring the quality necessary for publishing.  I am
leaving APS for "greener pastures" but would be willing to pass on any
information that might help in the TeX decisions (I am being retained as
a consultant--neat arrangement ;-)).

Scott Barman
philabs!tg!scott

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (01/25/87)

/ ken@rochester.ARPA (SKY) / 10:12 am  Jan 23, 1987 /
> And there is nothing like pic in the TeX world yet.

What about the "picture" environment in LaTeX?  I've used it to make very nice
diagrams.  I wish there was an interactive graphics editor that could generate
the necessary commands...

Jacob Gore
Northwestern University, Computer Science Research Lab
{ihnp4,chinet}!nucsrl!gore

roy@phri.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <765@nrcvax.UUCP> terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:
> I love troff.

	You, sir, are a sick person! :-)

> I don't know about inertia.  If you are perfectly satisfied with what
> you have where is the impetus to change?

	As I said in a previous article, I use troff in preference to TeX.
This is not to say that I like troff better than TeX (although "troff" is
easier to type).  In fact, I hate troff.  More than that, I hate "bib | tbl
| eqn | troff", which I do every day.  It must be even worse if you have to
do "bib | pic | ideal | grap | tbl | eqn | JRandomPreprocessor | troff".

	Why do I hate troff and friends so much (I suppose you could say
"any friend of troff's is no friend of mine")?  Not because it's slow, or
because the output isn't as nice as what TeX produces, but simply because
to get anything fancy done, you have to deal with 4 separate programs (and
2 sets of macros (bib and troff)), all of which interract with each other
in strange ways.  Have you ever seen what happens when you leave a $ out of
an equation inside a table?  Even worse, try leaving an unmatched \fI in a
bib data base.  And don't tell me to use checkeq and checknr to find the
errors; I can show you lots of things that pass unscathed through those and
yet cause troff to have a fit.

	When I was on my way out the door Friday afternoon, somebody came
to me with a tbl problem -- he has a table which works fine when he runs if
off by itself, but when he prints it along with the rest of his manuscript,
he gets pages of ".if 683 < 683" lines printed out.  I've seen that happen
before, and I've fixed it numerous times, but I still don't know what
causes it.  The worst part is that it'll still be there when I get into the
office tommorow morning; one more reason to hate Mondays.

	Don't get me wrong.  I think troff is a wonderful piece of
software.  It's 15 years old and still going strong.  It's been bent and
twisted and stretched into doing things it was never really designed to do
and it somehow manages to keep going.  It's just that more is being
demanded of it than it has to give and it's time to move on to something
else.  Unfortunately, I havn't yet found that something else.  I think TeX
is it, but I'm not yet sure.  As much as I hate troff, I have so much
invested in it (and so do the people I work with) that whatever replaces it
has to be a lot better than troff to justify the cost of learning something
new.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

simpson@trwrb.UUCP (01/25/87)

I have read with interest the discussion of troff vs. TeX.  Many of the
postings have been by people who have only used one of the formatting
languages.  As someone who has extensively used both troff (and its
preprocessors) and TeX, I have decided to throw my two cents in.
Here is a (surely incomplete) comparison of both troff and TeX.

Troff disadvantages
-------------------
-- Two character command names.
	Remember BASIC?  Two character command names are not mnemonic
and are hard to remember.  In addition, with two letters it is easy to
come up with names for two different macros that clash.

-- Macros are often bizarre collection of symbols.
	Troff macros use a lot of non-alphabetic words and symbols.
To the uninitiated, it looks like a bunch of line noise.  TeX is not
much better, but in TeX at least you have readable words.

-- Troff programs have bugs.
	I don't know if troff itself has any bugs, but the preprocessors
eqn and tbl surely do.  TeX is (probably) bug free.  In fact, Donald Knuth
offers you money if you find any bugs in TeX.  I think the sum is around
$20 now for any bugs found.  Usually the amount offered is a power of 2.
Interestingly enough, since TeX has been out, only two bugs have been found.
It was extensively tested with the trip test.

Troff advantages
----------------
-- tbl
	Troff does tables easily with tbl.  TeX can do them with much more
difficulty.  LaTeX makes tables much easier to do in TeX.  If you use LaTeX
then I think they are about equivalent in ease although there are purists
on both sides.

-- Pic
	Troff can draw pictures.  TeX can't.

-- nroff
	Troff has an equivalent program to output to an ASCII device.
TeX doesn't.  This is nice.  Unfortunately, besides the obvious things like
line breaks, troff and nroff output does not always come out the same.

-- Comes with UNIX
	You buy UNIX, you get troff.  Consequently, many people have troff
and learn it first.  TeX must be installed and many sites don't go through
the hassle.

-- Supports many output devices.

TeX disadvantages
-----------------
-- Complex
	In addition to being a good computer scientist, Donald Knuth is
also a good mathematician.  Consequently, TeX has a number of complex
algorithms and rules that the beginner may find hard to understand.
Usually doing simple text is easy for the beginner.  But when he wants
to modify output routines and such, TeX becomes complex.

-- Cannot draw pictures
	TeX is text-only.  This is somewhat alleviated with the \special
command.  This command allows you to insert device driver specific
calls into TeX's DVI output file.  The driver can then read these
commands when it is processing the DVI file and interpret them.  Usually
the driver will read in a graphics file and output it to the printer at
this point.  I have seen some really nice graphics output merged with TeX
documents.  The complexity of the graph depends on the graphics package,
the driver and the output device; pic can only draw with its command set.
The commands are driver specific.

-- Cannot output to an ASCII device.
	This is also somewhat alleviated by the programs dvitty and dvidoc
which were recently posted to the net.  With dvidoc you must run your
document through TeX again before you output it to get the spacing right.
With dvitty you don't; however, the lines come out the wrong length
since the line breaks are already chosen.  Also, with dvitty, you may lose
characters once in a while.

TeX advantages
--------------
-- Can create your own fonts
	You can do this in troff too but not nearly as easily.  TeX's
companion program METAFONT is very powerful and difficult to use.
It creates bitmaps from algebraic descriptions of character glyphs.
METAFONT works with outlines so it can create a font at any resolution.

-- Highly portable
	TeX is written in WEB (Pascal) and runs on virtually everything.
Troff runs on UNIX.

-- Great math facilities
	Since Knuth is a mathematician, he did the math part of TeX well.
The math looks fantastic and is easy to use.  Eqn is also easy to use
but the math does not look that great and is not as powerful as TeX.

-- Help facility
	TeX is interactive.  It will stop and give you short online
help when it finds an error.  Troff just continues until it is done
and screws up your output.

-- Well documented
	TeX is well documented.  The TeXbook, The METAFONTbook, LaTeX:
A Document Preparation System, The Joy of TeX and TeX for Scientific
Documentation are just some of the books.  The TeXbook is an adventure
in cross-referencing other pages but all the information is there if you
need it.  Troff is documented but not nearly as well.

-- Long command names
	TeX command names can be as long as you want.  Long mnemonic
names greatly ease remembering commands.  TeX is also free format; troff
commands must begin at the start of a line.  Long names are a major win.

-- Supports many output devices

-- Good attention to detail
	One of the reasons that TeX is hard to use is that it is so exacting.
TeX pays close attention to ligatures, kerning, widows, clubs, etc.  For
example, TeX will move the characters A and V closer together when they
are typeset adjacently.  Troff won't.

	In summary, TeX seems to be better for high quality typesetting
since it is newer and pays more attention to detail.  You can do
anything in TeX if you try hard enough.  It was created not to typeset
just books, but books of the finest quality.  People still continue to
use troff because it comes with UNIX, the man pages are in troff, you
can preview it on a terminal and they don't have or don't want to learn
TeX.  Here at TRW, virtually all of our users have switched over to TeX
after they saw the superior output.  Our site is not alone.  Many other
sites within TRW have experienced the same phenomenon.
	There is one other typesetting language that I haven't mentioned:
Scribe.  Scribe seems to be TeX-like (or TeX seems to be Scribe-like since
Scribe existed first).  The company that sells Scribe, Unilogic, charges
about $30,000 for the product plus a yearly fee.  Consequently, many
sites have dropped it and adopted the free (and superior) TeX.
We dropped it about two years ago and I know the University of Southern
California is dropping it at the end of the month.  Both Scribe and TeX
were written by Stanford professors.

UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.
TeX is a trademark of the American Mathematical Society.
--
		Scott Simpson
		TRW Electronics and Defense Sector

chris@mimsy.UUCP (01/25/87)

>sdo@linus.UUCP (Sean David O'Neil) says:
>>Anyone who can use troff can learn to use TeX, so simplicity can't
>>be the reason, and besides there are lots of really simple WYSIWYG
>>formatters around today, so convenience seems unlikely as well.
>>Is it just inertia?

There are some real reasons to stick with troff, though they often
translate to some form of inertia.  There are a large number of things
that work with troff that are not widely implemented for TeX---pic and
grap come to mind; there is a tpic for TeX but no equivalent to grap---
and there is a large software base built around troff that would take
much time and effort to modify to use TeX.  That time and effort has
little or no payoff to those using the existing software.  (To those
*maintaining* it, on the other hand. . . .  `Do not meddle in the
affairs of troff, for it is subtle and quick to anger.')

In article <765@nrcvax.UUCP> terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:
>I don't know about inertia.  If you are perfectly satisfied with what
>you have where is the impetus to change?

Exactly.  Inertia, but this can be called neither good nor bad.

>I love troff.  I tell it exactly what to do, and it does it.  I like
>the complete control and flexibility it gives me. ...

Both TeX and troff contain true programming languages, and one can
do virtually anything in either.  Personally, I find it easier to
instruct TeX as to what I want.  I have used both, neither terribly
extensively, and worked first with troff.  In spite of the well
known (but is it real?) tendency for programmers to prefer their
first languages, I switched as soon as I discovered TeX, as I have
never liked two-letter name spaces.  (My first programming language
was a two-letter dialect of BASIC, which I outgrew.  I moved *up*
to FORTRAN.  Functions and six letter local variables!  What ecstasy! :-) )
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

steve@umnd-cs.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <106@tg.UUCP>, scott@tg.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:
> Another advantage to ditroff is the ASCII output file it produces.  This
> output allows for the output destined for one device to be previewed on
> a Tektronix 4014 display...

TeX previewers also exist...

> THE biggest disadvantage of TeX vs. ditroff I can see is the requirement
> of TeX to use its own generated fonts (metafont).  We have looked into
> the possibility of using TeX, but have resisted up until now because the
> Computer Modern fonts of TeX does not compare with the Times Roman
> availble on the VideoComp.  We cannot download fonts to this typesetter
> nor is it fiscally feesable to have Information International Inc. (the
> makers of the VideoComp) digitize these fonts for us.  For APS, this is
> a big factor!

TeX doesn't have to use it's own fonts.  Your problems are with the programs
that convert dvi format files to files your output devices can understand.
We use the Apple Laserwriter's built-in fonts regularly in our TeX files.
Arbortext (previously Textset) provides a dvi->ps program that works just
great with this, and I doubt that the changes to the public domain version
are that great either.  All TeX needs are new .tfm files, simply the .tfm
files provided by Adobe remapped in the order TeX wants its characters.

Steve.

--
Spoken: Steven M. Miller  UUCP: umnd-cs!steve  CSNET: steve%umn-duluth.csnet
			  ARPA: steve%umnd-cs-gw.ARPA@umn-rei-uc.ARPA

pjg@tahoe.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <362@linus.UUCP> sdo@linus.UUCP (Sean David O'Neil) writes:
>From the number
>of articles about troff posted in this newsgroup there clearly exists a
>large number of people who use troff and support it.
Notice how many are questions about how to do something.
(Stop.  I know what you're going to say.)

>Is it just inertia?
To be brief, *almost* yes.

>Does anyone with an overview of both troff and TeX have an answer?
>There must be good reasons to use it - it's just that I'm unaware of any.
me too. ;-)

As someone who has an overview of both TeX, troff and some traditional
phototypesetting I'd like to stick in my two cents worth.

troff is dominant in the UNIX world because it comes with the package
(where the package is something other than the systems we see coming
unbundled from folks like Tandy and AT&T).  Since it is a standard
product at so many sites that are producing documents, another reason
is (although I'm inclined to hook it on to the first) these documents
come in some flavor of troff.  And it is true that TeX does have some
difficulty producing output on limited resolution devices (i.e.
non-graphic crt terminals).  This is more important to some people
than others though.  Further expansion on this theme is available via
mail.  As well as hossannahs of praise for TeX/LaTeX/AMSTeX.

<<Short, smug, snide snit about some other comments on this thread>>

Now it is *not* my considered opinion that troff will let any mere
mortal perform any task better than TeX.  (Brian Reid has indicated
that troff is ultimately more powerful than TeX (or Scribe) but I doubt
very much that anyone of us has noticed this.)  It is also not my
opinion that the typical users of a phototypesetter will find troff any
easier to use than TeX.  And I doubt that very many of them that would
consider TeX an academic oddity would consider troff any the less one.
(These people think in a fundamentally different way is what I really
believe).

I think there you have it.  Some marginal, but real reasons.  Seems
rather analogous to most Pascal usage to me.

Hmmm, personally I think I'd rather have to sleep with a bear than
support a community of troff users.

--
Thanks for your time.

Paul Graham seismo!unrvax!pjg

zwicky@osu-eddie.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <106@tg.UUCP> scott@tg.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:

>THE biggest disadvantage of TeX vs. ditroff I can see is the requirement
>of TeX to use its own generated fonts (metafont).  We have looked into
>the possibility of using TeX, but have resisted up until now because the
>Computer Modern fonts of TeX does not compare with the Times Roman
>availble on the VideoComp.  We cannot download fonts to this typesetter
>nor is it fiscally feesable to have Information International Inc. (the
>makers of the VideoComp) digitize these fonts for us.  For APS, this is
>a big factor!

TeX can use any font for which it has font metrics; I personally generate
LaTeX documents for the internal LaserWriter Plus fonts on a Sun3. I
hate Computer Modern, so I do everything in Bookman. It seems that
most of the problems people have with TeX can be traced to either not
knowing enough about TeX, or not wanting to change. One of our faculty
members didn't want to switch from troff to TeX because "TeX
wouldn't do macros" We managed to convince hima of the falsehood
of this, but he still believes that TeX commands are harder to
understand than troff, an attitude I find almost as incomprehensible as troff.
TeX isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than many people seem to
think.

	Elizabeth

rusty@weyl.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (01/27/87)

One of the TeX advantages that you forgot is font compatibility.  If
you use TeX and stick with TeX's Computer Modern font then you can be
confident that your output will be the same regardless of what output
device you use.  With troff you never know what fonts will be
available at some place until you get there (or ask beforehand).

Another problem with troff that has been implied by postings by
several people is that many people hack on the troff, eqn, tbl, etc.
source code or the macros so that what works at one site may not work
at another.

One of the goals of Knuth is that any implementation that labels
itself as TeX (passes the trip test) should be font and macro (e.g.
Plain) compatible with other implementations of TeX.  Everything in
Knuth's _The TeXbook_ must work.

--------------------------------------

	rusty c. wright
	rusty@weyl.berkeley.edu
	ucbvax!weyl!rusty

elwell@osu-eddie.UUCP (01/27/87)

Sigh.  I'll be the first to admit that the Computer Modern fonts are some
of the ugliest fonts known to man (I may be biased by my background in
medieval calligraphy--I like oldstyle fonts better than modern-style fonts
in general).  However:

NOTHING SAYS YOU HAVE TO USE ONLY CMR WITH TeX!

All you need are the appropriate font metric files.  The TeX distribution
includes tools for constructing them for any font.  I myself regularly use
Times Roman and ITC Palatino on an Apple LaserWriter.  I have also
used various bizarre fonts on our Xerox 2700 that were never intended to
be used by TeX (if Xerox fonts aren't proprietary, nothing is...).

Please don't judge teX by the CMR fonts.

--Clayton

--
====================
Total Nuclear Annihilation:				Clayton Elwell

kuo@skatter.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <1244@ucbcad.berkeley.edu>, faustus@ucbcad.berkeley.edu (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
> The one thing I've heard that troff is better than TeX with is tables --
> I've used tbl a lot and it seems to work fine, but others who have used
> TeX's table-making facilities complain that they are not very convenient.
> (Are there any good macro packages for tables in TeX?)

I agree that TeX's table-making is a little complicated, but I think LaTeX
may offer some solutions (I have just got the LaTeX book and have not really
look into it yet!). However, with the table-making in TeX, I think one has
more options to play with.

> Other than that,
> it's just inertia...  Also, what sort of self-respecting UNIX hack would
> use a text formatter written in Pascal?  :-)

But... but... there is now a version of TeX in C (maybe more than one
version; TeX in Common C and the Unix version of TeX is also in C [standard
C?])....

I learned TeX first on a VMS machine then moved (not by choice) to a Unix
machine having no TeX, but troff. I still like TeX over troff. Even the
macro files in TeX is more readable than troff's - to me anyways (:-)

... Peter/

Peter Kuo                    Bitnet (VMS address)    : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory              (UUCP address)   : "skatter!kuo@sask.uucp"
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse)
Univ. of Saskatchewan          uucp (unix address)   : !ihnp4!sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan             (Bitnet address) : !ihnp4!sask.BITNET!kuo
CANADA  S7N 0W0
Tel. (306) 966-6059

[Disclaimer: all the standard stuff.]

m5d@bobkat.UUCP (01/28/87)

I here lots of people saying that "troff lets me do ASCII previewing
and that's why I use it."  There is a nice easy way to do this
with TeX also, although I must confess that I don't know how -- people
just tell me it's so and then hit me.

I don't have any great complaint about troff.  I am certain, however,
that TeX output looks better.  It is clear to me that TeX works
much harder than troff at setting paragraphs nicely.  In fact, I think
that troff just does line-at-a-time justification (I could be wrong).

In defense of troff, I am currently of the opinion that troff source
files are a little easier to work with than TeX source.  All of the
troff commands (well, almost all) are stuck at the left column, while
commands to TeX are everywhere.

Seems like my opinions on this subject are rather weak.

--
****                                                         ****
**** At Digital Lynx, we're almost in Garland, but not quite ****

Mike McNally                                    Digital Lynx Inc.
Software (not hardware) Person                  Dallas  TX  75243
uucp: {texsun,killer,infotel}!pollux!bobkat!m5d (214) 238-7474

roy@phri.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <106@tg.UUCP> scott@tg.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:
> THE biggest disadvantage of TeX vs. ditroff I can see is the requirement
> of TeX to use its own generated fonts (metafont).

	We've just started getting TeX running here (see my previous
articles as to why I hate troff), so I'm not yet a TeXpert (sorry DEK, but
TeXnician looks stupid).  I don't see why TeX can't use printer-resident
fonts.  As I understand it, the only thing TeX knows about a font are the
character metrics (bounding box, width, etc); it doesn't know anything at
all about the shape of a character, or where to put ink on the page.

	Since you can take a TeX font and define it as a PostScript font, I
have to assume that the elements of TeX's and PostScript's models of what a
font is map essentially one-to-one with each other.  Thus, why can't you
take an AFM file for a PostScript font and write a corresponding TeX-style
font metric file?  You have to have the DVI-to-PostScript translator be
able to recognize that hbi10 is really Helvetica-BoldItalic scaled to 10
point, but that seems pretty trivial.

kuo@skatter.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <24106@rochester.ARPA>, ken@rochester.ARPA (SKY) writes:

> On the other hand, some documents need troff, like Unix man pages.
> And there is nothing like pic in the TeX world yet.
>
> 	Ken

	One can fake the pic option using the \special{} macro
	in TeX. When I was at the Phys. Dept. at the Univ. of
	Toronto, the Geophysics boys were working on including
	graphics (ie plots etc) into the dvi file by the way of
	\special. It seems to work fine, dispite a little bug here
	and there at the beginning.

... Peter/

gore@nucsrl.UUCP (01/28/87)

> / simpson@trwrb.UUCP (Scott Simpson) /  1:48 pm  Jan 25, 1987 /
> Here is a (surely incomplete) comparison of both troff and TeX.

Here are some corrections (or "completions", if you wish).

> Troff advantages
> ----------------
>
> -- Pic
> 	Troff can draw pictures.  TeX can't.
LaTeX can, and it's very easy to do.

> -- nroff
> 	Troff has an equivalent program to output to an ASCII device.
> TeX doesn't.  This is nice.  Unfortunately, besides the obvious things like
> line breaks, troff and nroff output does not always come out the same.
There are previewers for TeX output, though none are distributed with TeX.

> -- Supports many output devices.
You must be talking about ditroff then.  In the case of both ditroff and TeX,
this depends on presence of driver software that converts ditroff or TeX
output into the language of the output device.

> TeX disadvantages
> -----------------
>
> -- Cannot draw pictures
> 	TeX is text-only.  This is somewhat alleviated with the \special
> command.  This command allows you to insert device driver specific
> calls into TeX's DVI output file.  [...]
LaTeX 'picture' environment makes drawing pictures easy.

It would be nice, though, to have an on-screen graphics editor that could
generate LaTeX or pic commands...

kuo@skatter.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <2570@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> 	From a purely theoretical standpoint, you can preview troff on an
> ASCII CRT or on a line printer.  You can't do that with TeX.  I do a lot of
> writing at home where I don't have a bit-map screen or a laser printer to
> proof drafts with.
> --
> Roy Smith, {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!roy
> System Administrator, Public Health Research Institute
> 455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

Well.. depending on the system you are talking about, one can preview the
TeX output. For example, the latest version of TeX (v1.3 I think) for VAX/VMS
comes with a pd version of a previewer. It could (I only read about this in
the TUGBoat, have not seen or use it yet) preview dvi files on VT100, VT220,
VT240/241, TEK4010, and ANSI terminals. As for the micros go, most of them
also come with (or you can buy) previewers. Also, someone on the net has
a program (called dvidoc I think) allows one to "preview" dvi files on an
ASCII printer.

Peter Kuo                    Bitnet (VMS address)    : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory              (UUCP address)   : "skatter!kuo@sask.uucp"
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse)
Univ. of Saskatchewan          uucp (unix address)   : !ihnp4!sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan             (Bitnet address) : !ihnp4!sask.BITNET!kuo
CANADA  S7N 0W0
Tel. (306) 966-6059

[Disclaimer: all the standard stuff.]

scott@tg.UUCP (01/29/87)

Thanks to *ALL* of you who have told me that tfm files can be generated for
other typesetters!  However, now that this has be answered, can you see TeX
used for publishing 45,000+ pages each year (the real meaning behind my note)?
Remember, these papers have to include pictures (pic), tables (tbl), and
the ability of typesetting 3-page nuclear physics mathematical proofs (eqn)
in some sane matter so that we don't drive a whole past-up department batty!

PLEASE stop flooding the net/my mail box with info on tfm files :-) now that
I do know about them!  THANKS!!!!!!

Scott Barman
{philabs, pyrnj}!tg!scott

ries@trwrb.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <999999999.UUCP> jp@.UUCP (Joe Programmer) writes:
> [TeX vs. troff ad infinitum]

  Our site has both TeX(LaTeX)  and  troff(ms/me/mm).  Each  have
  their advantages/disadvantages.

  One thing that hasn't been mentioned in  the  debate,  is  that
  there  are  a large number (100K+?) of older and/or non-PC UNIX
  boxes (like the Altos and Tandy machines) that  1)  don't  have
  the  disk  space to do credit to TeX/LaTeX and/or 2) don't have
  any decent Pascal compilers.  Ya, I know,  as  soon  as  I  get
  raised flooring in my den I'm ganna upgrade... ;-).

  While *every* owner  of  one  of  these  boxes  had  access  to
  nroff/troff, the same can't be said for TeX.

  Marc Ries, trwrb!ries

lien@osu-eddie.UUCP (01/30/87)

From: Yao-Nan Lien <lien>

Superiority is not sufficient to have people to choose a
particular typesetting tool or to switch from one to another.

I am tire of hearing that

"TeX is better, so you should switch to Tex "

Who is going to rewrite my thousands of Shell scripts and papers
written in past 5 years? Those Shell scripts are a mix of
troff, ex, sed, awk, ....etc. I don't even know can TeX support such an
environment or not.  What I mean support is the capability of mixing
with other UNIX tools to have a NEW tool quickly by a noraml user.

Could we list out the criteria to evaluate a typesetting tool
from the users' point of view ( NOT SYSTEM PEOPLE's !) first.
Then, give adequate weight to each item we listed for different
types of users. THEN, evaluate these  tools against these
criteria.

PS.
There is an article in ACM computing survey ( 3 or 4 year back)
doing an interesting  evaluation.

Yao-Nan Lien
Ohio State University
2036, Neil Ave. Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1277
Tel 614 292-5236

CSNet : lien@ohio-state.CSNET
Arpa :  lien@ohio-state.arpa
UUCP  : {cbosgd, ihnp4}!osu-eddie!lien

len@geac.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (01/30/87)

While I acknowledge the fact that TeX makes it easy to prepare
very attractive typeset-quality documents and that it is
probably easier to use for this purpose than is troff, my
experience as a new user of TeX but a relatively experienced
nroff user is that the price that is paid for this is that some
of the EASY things are much harder, if not impossible, to do.

Since I am new to TeX (atually LaTeX) it is possible that that
problems I have encountered are easily solved. In this case,
please treat this diatribe as an appeal for help. Otherwise, it
can be taken as my negative comment about TeX and LaTeX.

1.  Conditional "newpage" for lists seems to be impossible to
    achieve without having to hard-code the line length into a
    "parbox" command. What happens if I change document styles
    and the line length changes accordingly?

    Naked n/troff have their ".ne" command, which would have been
    all I needed in this case. The n/troff macro sets have their
    "keeps", which bracket the text which they are intended to
    keep on one page.

    All I want to do is print a list consisting of a section
    heading and three items without having the heading and one
    item at the bottom of one page and the last two items at the
    top of the next page.

2. "Verbatim" environments force output into a rather ugly
    typewriter font, which cannot be overridden. Besides the fact
    that this font is rather ugly, the presence of this font
    causes our printer's font buffer to overflow (or something of
    the sort) and the fonts for printing section and/or
    subsection headings fail to load.

    This problem should probably be blamed on the LN03 printer
    driver, not TeX, but maybe TeX should be aware of such
    limitations and at least give a warning. It took several days
    to figure out what was going on, and in the meantime we
    wasted reams of paper on test runs as we adjusted the
    position of the "end{document}" command.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. If there are solutions
to my problems I would love to know about them.

Len

..utzoo!yetti!geac!len

peterson@milano.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <827@cartan.Berkeley.EDU>, rusty@weyl.Berkeley.EDU (Rusty Wright) writes:
> One of the TeX advantages that you forgot is font compatibility.  If
> you use TeX and stick with TeX's Computer Modern font then you can be

On the contrary, TeX can have more problems than troff with font
compatibility at different sites, although you may mean it at a
different level than I.  The TeX dvi printer form cannot be printed
without access to the same font tables that were used to format the
document.  Troff dvi, on the other hand, has all positioning information
built into the dvi data stream.  Thus, it is possible to take a
troff dvi file and transmit it across the country to another site
(or across campus) to another site with different fonts and get it to
print reasonably well.  A TeX dvi file cannot do this unless you have
the same fonts available at both sites.

The problem is with the dvi format.  In troff you say, for each
character:

while with TeX you say

	<output a character and move as over its width><output...

which is not possible unless you know how wide the character was when
the output was formatted.
--
James Peterson
peterson@mcc.com  or  ...sally!im4u!milano!peterson

> My question is this - why does anyone continue to use troff? ...

Backward compatibility is a big part of it.  Changing a whole bunch of naive
users over to a new troff macro set is a large-scale nightmare in itself.
Changing the very syntax of the formatting language would be worse.

Another consideration is that troff will fit in a 16-bit machine, and TeX
hasn't a prayer of doing so.  (Yes, there are some subsets that will, but
not the whole thing.)  This issue is diminishing in importance, but it's
not trivial.

> besides there are lots of really simple WYSIWYG formatters around today,
> so convenience seems unlikely as well. ...

"Simple" is the word for most of them.  As in "simple-minded".  They also
have some problems with serious mismatches between the what-you-see device
(e.g. 24x80 terminal) and the what-you-get device (e.g. laser printer).
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

> 	I don't know if troff itself has any bugs, but the preprocessors
> eqn and tbl surely do.  TeX is (probably) bug free. ...

What about the macro packages, e.g. LaTeX, which are TeX's equivalent of
some of the preprocessors?

> -- Pic
> 	Troff can draw pictures.  TeX can't.

There are now some picture-drawing capabilities for TeX, notably in LaTeX.
It still doesn't match the combination of pic, ideal, grap, and chem.
Troff's strength is in its preprocessors; the program itself is pretty poor.

> -- Can create your own fonts
> 	You can do this in troff too but not nearly as easily.  TeX's
> companion program METAFONT is very powerful and difficult to use.

There's no fundamental reason why you can't use Metafont with troff; it's
pretty independent of TeX.  The ease of creating fonts for troff depends
on the output device and its support software; in some cases it's not bad.
Note that creating *good* fonts is in general a job for an expert, not a
novice.  (Being a hot programmer does not make you a hot font designer, as
witness Knuth's fonts.)

> -- Highly portable
> 	TeX is written in WEB (Pascal) and runs on virtually everything.
> Troff runs on UNIX.

Which is highly portable and runs on virtually everything.  Admittedly,
there is a problem if the environment is constrained to a non-Unix system
for other reasons -- few sites are willing to change operating systems
just to get a good text formatter.

> -- Help facility
> 	TeX is interactive.  It will stop and give you short online
> help when it finds an error.  Troff just continues until it is done
> and screws up your output.

The other side of this is people who can't stand TeX because it insists
on being interactive, blithering at them given the slightest excuse.
Whether one prefers this to troff's silence and relatively poor error
diagnosis is very much a matter of taste.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

> One of the TeX advantages that you forgot is font compatibility.  If
> you use TeX and stick with TeX's Computer Modern font then you can be
> confident that your output will be the same regardless of what output
> device you use...

Yup, device-independent ugliness sure is a big win...  My impression is
that most TeX users who thought about the choice went with TeX because it
does a better job on making output *look* good.  This means, once they
start acquiring a critical eye, avoiding CMR and using whatever good
fonts the particular installation and device provide.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (01/31/87)

I use troff with the MS macros and, if I can't avoid it, tbl (eqn on
very rare occasion, last time I should have I just typed it all in in
raw troff, a strange form of amusement I don't recommend.)

The documents I am most proud of are those which contain .TL, .AB,
.AE, .AU, .AI, .SH and .PP exclusively, on occasion the mysteries of
.FS/.FE must be invoked and I've had some reasonable results with .IP,
but that's it (tbl means typing .TS and reaching for the manual and
hoping one of the examples will do the trick which almost always works.)

I just wrote a proposal for a heap of $$ without breaking the above
rules, it hadn't really occurred to me whether my ideas may have
been better received in some other WP, I hope I haven't erred. Hmm,
I didn't even use .FS/.FE in that one tho there was one small table
(no rules around the table, that's just asking for trouble.)

I've looked at TeX and even installed it, as a programmer I feel queasy
putting anything through a 10K line monolithic program which considers
Pascal to be its assembler, but you can do what you like, you're adults
I presume.

I do remember an ancient time when typing of papers and memos was
something done by specialized co-workers who mumbled things like
"white-out" and "Courier 12 ball". Back then I usually used a legal
pad and pencil. Can't say my prose has improved much for the change
tho it's nice to discuss serifs and kerning with colleagues, we have
so little else in common.

Cheers.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

ken@rochester.UUCP (02/01/87)

|On the contrary, TeX can have more problems than troff with font
|compatibility at different sites, although you may mean it at a
|different level than I.  The TeX dvi printer form cannot be printed
|without access to the same font tables that were used to format the
|document.  Troff dvi, on the other hand, has all positioning information
|built into the dvi data stream.  Thus, it is possible to take a
|troff dvi file and transmit it across the country to another site
|(or across campus) to another site with different fonts and get it to
|print reasonably well.  A TeX dvi file cannot do this unless you have
|the same fonts available at both sites.

There are caveats.  If you have an identical printer at the other end,
yes.  If the printer has a different resolution then you have to do
scaling. You get less than pleasing placement especially if the fonts
at the other end are different.  Remember, the positioning info is
based on the fonts at the generating machine.

I would never send dvi files, either troff or TeX unless absolutely
necessary. While -ms or -me based text is portable in theory, I have
had better luck porting TeX files.

	Ken

ken@rochester.UUCP (02/01/87)

|Who is going to rewrite my thousands of Shell scripts and papers
|written in past 5 years? Those Shell scripts are a mix of
|troff, ex, sed, awk, ....etc. I don't even know can TeX support such an
|environment or not.  What I mean support is the capability of mixing
|with other UNIX tools to have a NEW tool quickly by a noraml user.

First off, rewriting papers is a losing proposition from the start.
Leave old papers alone.

There is no reason tools like WWB can't be made to work for TeX.  Detex
is the analog of deroff. Surely you must be exaggerating to say you
have thousands of shell scripts.

|Could we list out the criteria to evaluate a typesetting tool
|from the users' point of view ( NOT SYSTEM PEOPLE's !) first.
|Then, give adequate weight to each item we listed for different
|types of users. THEN, evaluate these  tools against these
|criteria.

I am afraid you are going to have to drag in WYSIWYG editors and all
that too. I don't believe in ideology, just what works best for me.  If
I had a printer accepting the \special command I wouldn't be too proud
to use tpic (a TeX version of pic).  Drawing pictures in LaTeX is
tedious.  I would even use physical cut and paste if neccessary.

One thing I do like about TeX is there is a community of expert
users (present company excluded) willing to share solutions and
software.  Troff experts are an endangered species.

	Ken

shebs@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley Shebs) (02/02/87)

In article <508@geac.UUCP> len@geac.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) writes:

>2. "Verbatim" environments force output into a rather ugly
>    typewriter font, which cannot be overridden.

The verbatim environment is a LaTeX macro.  Look for a file "latex.doc" or
"latex.tex" in the TeX macros directory.  All of LaTeX is there, with the
exception of parameters specific to styles, which are in files like
"article.doc" and "art11.doc".  There are even some comments scattered about!
I've had reasonably good luck with my few attempts at tweaking LaTeX things;
you should be able to lift the verbatim environment definition and alter a
copy of it to use whatever font you want (look for a "tt" in the definition).

							stan shebs

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (02/03/87)

> The other side of this is people who can't stand TeX because it insists
> on being interactive, blithering at them given the slightest excuse.
> Whether one prefers this to troff's silence and relatively poor error
> diagnosis is very much a matter of taste.

I'm accustomed to troff's barfocity by now.  But there's one check
that could be implemented easily and would save a lot of distress.

Strings and macros share a name space, right?  Well, if you define
xy as a string and then try to use it as a macro, troff ought to know
better!  Hack hack!

--
Legalize insanity!
--

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (02/03/87)

> besides there are lots of really simple WYSIWYG formatters around today,
> so convenience seems unlikely as well. ...

The correct acronym is "WYSIWYSW":  "What You See Is What You're Stuck With."
Avoiding getting stuck with what you see is one of the big reasons for using
troff--especially when it comes time to move the footnotes from the bottoms of
the pages to the end of the article (to make the journalmeisters happy).
--
TeX is a trademark--at the moment, I forget whose.
ACRONYM stands for Abbreviative Character Reduction of Names Yielding Mnemonics.

sjl@ukc.ac.uk (S.J.Leviseur) (02/03/87)

In article <7592@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> My question is this - why does anyone continue to use troff? ...

>Another consideration is that troff will fit in a 16-bit machine, and TeX
>hasn't a prayer of doing so.  (Yes, there are some subsets that will, but
>not the whole thing.)  This issue is diminishing in importance, but it's
>not trivial.

	Come now, I have TeX on an IBM pc, and it's a lot faster than
	on a VAX. You can also get TeX for the Mac, Atari ST1040 and
	Amiga. There may be others, but those are the ones I know of.
	The only one I have used is on the IBM pc, and that certainly
	seems to be a full implementation.

	sean

	sjl@ukc.ac.uk

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <588@eneevax.UUCP>, mcgraw@eneevax.UUCP (Timothy J. McGraw) writes:
> nroff/troff has served the mainframe publishing world well,
> especially at such installations as large daily newspapers where you
> find little technical text and need for output better than any laser
> printer can offer today.

TeX is not restricted to any specific output device.  There can be and
undoubtably are programs that can happily drive a phototypesetter from
TeX DVI files.  The TeXbook was done with TeX, and I'm sure
Addison-Wesley didn't use 200-300dpi laser printer output as their
camera-ready copy.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <106@tg.UUCP>, scott@tg.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:
> In conjunction with eqn and ditroff problems, there are many problems
> with accents/diacritics.  Since I do not know how TeX handles these,

Very simple....for example, \'o puts an acute accent on an o.  There
are grave, acute, circumflex, cedilla, umlaut, whole bunch.  In math
mode, you can get hat (circumflex-like), check (inverted-circumflex),
tilde, acute, grave, dot, double-dot, et cetera....and you can define
sequences to access any others available in the fonts you're using.

> THE biggest disadvantage of TeX vs. ditroff I can see is the
> requirement of TeX to use its own generated fonts (metafont).

But it doesn't.

> We cannot download fonts to this typesetter nor is it fiscally
> feesable to have Information International Inc. [...] digitize these
> fonts for us.

If you can get the font metric information (character sizes &c), that's
all TeX wants....

and from phri!roy....
> Thus, why can't you take an AFM file for a PostScript font and write
> a corresponding TeX-style font metric file?

You can.  It'll even work, if you do it right.  We even have programs
here which take bitmap images and generate TeX fonts.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <765@nrcvax.UUCP>, terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:
> I love troff.  I tell it exactly what to do, and it does it.  I like
> the complete control and flexibility it gives me.  I can get it to do
> anything I want it to do, and as I use it more I am constantly
> learning more about it.

I love TeX.  I tell it exactly what to do, and it does it.  I like the
complete control and flexibility it gives me.  I can get it to do
anything I want it to do, and as I use it more I am constantly
learning...waitaminnit, haven't I heard this before?

Yes, they are both powerful systems.  Each one has its priesthood and
fanatical followers.  Whatever you want to do, you can probably manage
to do it in either one (though depending on what it is, one of them may
do it more easily than the other).  Please, use whichever one works
better for you and don't try to convert the other fanatical followers.
It is a waste of time and annoys the people paying for the bandwidth.

In article <1556@trwrb.UUCP>, simpson@trwrb.UUCP (Scott Simpson) writes:

> Here is a (surely incomplete) comparison of both troff and TeX.
Fine, but I have some comments (on both sides).

> Troff advantages
> ----------------
> -- Pic
> 	Troff can draw pictures.  TeX can't.

It can with the correct support software (I'm sure you need support
software for troff too, eg, pic and an output driver that supports it).
For instance, we have programs which take images, grayscale or binary,
and produce TeX fonts and a little TeX file which you \input to print
the picture.

> TeX disadvantages
> -----------------
> But when he wants to modify output routines and such, TeX becomes
> complex.

If you want to get deep into the guts of troff, I betcha it becomes
complex too!

> -- Cannot draw pictures

Addressed above.

> TeX advantages
> --------------
> -- Help facility
> 	TeX is interactive.  It will stop and give you short online
> help when it finds an error.

It rarely is much help.

! Missing $ inserted.
? h
I've inserted a begin-math/end-math symbol because I think you've left
one out.  Proceed, with fingers crossed.
?

...gee, I could have told you that much from the first line.

wtho@cgcha.UUCP (Tom Hofmann) (02/05/87)

In article <485@bobkat.UUCP>, m5d@bobkat.UUCP (Mike McNally ) writes:
> I am certain, however,
> that TeX output looks better.  It is clear to me that TeX works
> much harder than troff at setting paragraphs nicely.  In fact, I think
> that troff just does line-at-a-time justification (I could be wrong).

You are right, one main advantage of TeX is that it breaks whole
paragraphs, not only lines, and uses many parameters to do that.
(You can modify them, if necessary.) So TeX does indeed typesetting,
and not only word processing (like troff).

Tom Hofmann, Scientific Computer Center, CIBA-GEIGY AG, Basle, Switzerland
UUCP: ...!mcvax!cernvax!cgcha!wtho

kjp@well.UUCP (02/07/87)

Scott Simpson wrote in the discussion of troff/TEX:
> Troff is documented but not nearly as well.

True, but there are (at least) 3 recent books on troff that
can help.  I'll mention the one I co-authored first...

1.  troff Typesetting for UNIX(tm) Systems, Sandra L. Emerson and
    Karen Paulsell, Prentice-Hall

2.  UNIX(tm) NROFF/TROFF A User's Guide, Kevin P. Roddy, Holt
    Rinehart and Wilson

3.  The author is Narain Gehani, and I think the book is called
    Document Formatting on UNIX Systems.

I can't really describe the 2 other books; one person who has seen
all three told me that we spend a lot more time describing all the
troff primitives and their interactions, Gehani focusses more on -mm,
and Roddy on -ms and -me modifications.

Karen Paulsell

kuo@skatter.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <24357@rochester.ARPA>, ken@rochester.ARPA (SKY) writes:

> I would never send dvi files, either troff or TeX unless absolutely
> necessary. While -ms or -me based text is portable in theory, I have
> had better luck porting TeX files.
>
> 	Ken

Just for fun one time, I send an dvi file generated by Micro-TeX (from A-W)
to be printed on a QMS laser printer on our VMS system. The output from the
laser printer is EXACTLY the same as I get from my dot-matrix printer on my
PC (ie line breaks and page breaks; of coure I don't mean quality (8-)). So
as long as the fonts you use in creating the dvi file is available to the
printer on the target machine, you send send dvi files around with no trouble
at all.

... Peter/

kuo@skatter.UUCP (02/08/87)

In article <7593@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:

> > -- Help facility
> > 	TeX is interactive.  It will stop and give you short online
> > help when it finds an error.  Troff just continues until it is done
> > and screws up your output.
>
> The other side of this is people who can't stand TeX because it insists
> on being interactive, blithering at them given the slightest excuse.
> Whether one prefers this to troff's silence and relatively poor error
> diagnosis is very much a matter of taste.
> --

But (using the VMS version as an example) you can tell TeX to be quite and
just plow full speed ahead, error or no error, by using the /batch option.
In either case, TeX logs the error and some other info into a log file, which
is very useful for finding errors. Troff doesn't do that (does it?).

Another thing about troff is: when one needs 10 copies of the same formatted
output, one has to run troff 10 times (or unless you photocopy). But with TeX,
you just print the dvi file 10 times, not having to re-process the input file
again. Or am I wrong about this?

... Peter

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (02/10/87)

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) says:
>In article <765@nrcvax.UUCP>, terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:
>> I love troff.  I tell it exactly what to do, and it does it.  I like
>> the complete control and flexibility it gives me.  I can get it to do
>> anything I want it to do, and as I use it more I am constantly
>> learning more about it.
>
>I love TeX.  I tell it exactly what to do, and it does it.  I like the
>complete control and flexibility it gives me.  I can get it to do
>anything I want it to do, and as I use it more I am constantly
>learning...waitaminnit, haven't I heard this before?
>
>Yes, they are both powerful systems.  Each one has its priesthood and
>fanatical followers.  Whatever you want to do, you can probably manage
>to do it in either one (though depending on what it is, one of them may
>do it more easily than the other).  Please, use whichever one works
>better for you and don't try to convert the other fanatical followers.
>It is a waste of time and annoys the people paying for the bandwidth.

***FLAME ON***
Someone asked for people's opinions on TeX and troff.  I'm a
``people''.  I have an opinion.  I stated it.  I was not trying to
``convert the other fanatical followers.''  I'm a firm believer in
everyone using what works best for themselves and what they are trying
to do.  But don't criticize me for stating my opinion when asked for
it!

	<<This got a bit stronger, but I deleted the rest.
	  I'm sick and tired of net.wars and don't want to
	  be blamed for starting one.>>

***FLAME OFF***

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (02/15/87)

In article <296@skatter.UUCP> kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) writes:

>Another thing about troff is: when one needs 10 copies of the same formatted
>output, one has to run troff 10 times (or unless you photocopy). But with TeX,
>you just print the dvi file 10 times, not having to re-process the input file
>again. Or am I wrong about this?

If I understand you correctly, you are wrong.

You can process the file ONCE with troff - and then send the
processed output to the typesetter 10 times, without having to
run troff to reprocess the "raw" file again.

Kathy Vincent @ bakerst.UUCP
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
HOME:        {ihnp4|mtune|ptsfa} _____
           {hplabs|seismo}!kitty _____\__ !bakerst!kathy
          {burl|mcnc|duke}!ethos _____/
AT&T:  ihnp4!wruxh!unix
       ...!bakerst!wrcola!kathy

> >Another consideration is that troff will fit in a 16-bit machine, and TeX
> >hasn't a prayer of doing so...
>
> 	Come now, I have TeX on an IBM pc, and it's a lot faster than
> 	on a VAX. You can also get TeX for the Mac, Atari ST1040 and
> 	Amiga. There may be others, but those are the ones I know of.

The relevant issue is not width of data path, which is utterly unimportant
except for performance, but width of address bus.  The PC address bus is
20 bits.  On the 68000 machines, it's 24 (more or less, depending on the
implementation).  The problem is fitting formatters into 16 bits of code
plus 16 bits of data (to be generous about it):  troff, even ditroff, will,
and TeX won't.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

> Another thing about troff is: when one needs 10 copies of the same formatted
> output, one has to run troff 10 times (or unless you photocopy). But with TeX,
> you just print the dvi file 10 times, not having to re-process the input file
> again. Or am I wrong about this?

Yes.  Unless your troff is doing something bizarre, capturing troff output
so you can send it to the device multiple times is no harder than capturing
TeX output.