[comp.text] Bo Derek

pedz@bobkat.UUCP (02/23/87)

I was look in the index of the TeXbook and stumbled across an entry
for Bo Derek.  Since this is one of my highest priorities, I looked on
the listed page for it (293) but to no avail.  I finally look in the
texman.tex file and found that the entry comes between the 10 and the
100 of exercise 26.1.  I wonder what Jill thinks of this.
--
Perry Smith
pedz@bobkat

cje@elbereth.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <626@bobkat.UUCP>, pedz@bobkat.UUCP (Pedz Thing) writes:
> I was look in the index of the TeXbook and stumbled across an entry
> for Bo Derek.  ...  I finally ... found that the entry comes between the
> 10 and the 100 of exercise 26.1.

Congratulations!  You are now that much further along in the solution
to Exercise 27.5 :-).

--
Chris Jarocha-Ernst
UUCP: {allegra, seismo, ihnp4}!rutgers!elbereth!cje

iau@ukc.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <626@bobkat.UUCP> Pedz Thing writes:
>I was look in the index of the TeXbook and stumbled across an entry
>for Bo Derek.  [ ... ] I finally look in the
>texman.tex file and found that the entry comes [ after a ] 10

I noticed this as well, and assumed that it was one of those things that
publishers put into books to help spot copyright infingements (originally
they were imaginary words in dictionaries?). I'm sure that such things have
a name, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

On the other hand, it might just be a joke. It wouldn't be the worst one in
the TeXbook by a long way.
			Ian.		iau@ukc.uucp or iau@ukc.ac.uk etc.

miw@mucs.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <626@bobkat.UUCP>, pedz@bobkat.UUCP (Pedz Thing) writes:
> I was look in the index of the TeXbook and stumbled across an entry
> for Bo Derek.  ...  I finally ... found that the entry comes between the
> 10 and the 100 of exercise 26.1.

Well done!  Anyone spot the unusual running head on p.216?

Mario
Dept. of Computer Science	ARPA:	miw%uk.ac.man.cs.ux@cs.ucl.ac.uk
The University			USENET: mcvax!ukc!man.cs.ux!miw
Manchester M13 9PL		JANET:	miw@uk.ac.man.cs.ux
U.K.				061-273 7121 x 5699

ken@rochester.UUCP (02/27/87)

In the METAFONT book, look at the first referenced page for Knuth, Nancy Jill
Carter. It should be obvious.

	Ken

gary@darth.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <2589@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> iau@ukc.ukc.ac.uk (I.A.Utting) writes:
>In article <626@bobkat.UUCP> Pedz Thing writes:
>>I was look in the index of the TeXbook and stumbled across an entry
>>for Bo Derek.  [ ... ] I finally look in the
>>texman.tex file and found that the entry comes [ after a ] 10
>
>I noticed this as well, and assumed that it was one of those things that
>publishers put into books to help spot copyright infingements (originally
> [...] On the other hand, fit might just be a joke ...

A joke to be sure.  If anything, Don Knuth's publisher (Addison-Wesley)
gets an A+ for patience.  I remember reading an article in some forgotten
issue of a science magazine.  The article described Don's dissatisfaction
with current mathematical typesetting technology.  Don decided to write
a better typesetting program: the initial estimate was 3 months to
completion.  Years later, TeX becomes a notable force in computerized
typesetting.  The article had a great photo of Knuth in what I supposed
was his home.  He was sitting on the floor, surrounded by large sheets
of graph paper with giant glyphs (from cmr fonts, I guess) drawn on them.

Sorry for the digression ... the point was that the Bo Derek index entry
reminds me that Knuth has an inclination to such things.  One of the
volumes of "The Art of Computer Programming" (Vol 1, I believe), contains
the following two index entries:

	Circular Reasoning,
		See Reasoning, Circular

	Reasoning, Circular
		See Circular Reasoning

Gary J. Wisniewski
uucp: {allegra, bellcore, cadre}!pitt!darth!gary

> I noticed this as well, and assumed that it was one of those things that
> publishers put into books to help spot copyright infingements (originally
> they were imaginary words in dictionaries?). I'm sure that such things have
> a name, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

They're called "check entries" or variants on that.  Almost anyone doing
data compilations -- dictionaries, encyclopedias, reference guides,
surveys -- includes them routinely.  Their real value is not in spotting
copyright infringements, but in proving them in court.  When the ripoff
artist protests that he got his information the same way you did, i.e. by
painstaking research with many sources, you ask him how his painstaking
research managed to exactly duplicate a fictitious entry.

I doubt very much that it's worth bothering with such things for an ordinary
book, whose contents are distinctive enough by themselves.  Knuth is just
having fun.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry