[comp.text] font changes in tbl

cameron@elecvax.UUCP (03/10/87)

>From: peterm@cadvaxoz.eecs.unsw.oz (Peter Maxwell)
>Subject: font changes in tbl
>
>Here is an undocumented (at least in the documents I have) feature of tbl.
>In the format specification, if you use the letter "f" for font
>specification, tbl actually looks for TWO characters.  Thus "fBI" really
>does give bold italics.  However, it means the following example crashes,
>with mysterious messages about being unable to scan over such and such...
>
>center;
>lfB lfB.
>data

To quote from "Tbl - A Program to Format Tables" by M.E.Lesk, 1979:
Here are some additional features of the key-letter system:
			:
		[a few paragraphs]
			:
    Font changes - A key letter may be followed by a string containing a font
	name or number preceded by the letter f or F. This indicates that the
	corresponding column should be in a differ font from the default font
	(usually Roman). All font names are one or two letters; a one-letter
	font name should be separated from whatever follows by a space or a
	tab...
	- Cameron Simpson