[comp.text] troff typesetters/printers

jim@b-mrda.UUCP (03/27/87)

Where does one find a printer or typesetting house who understands
troff or nroff ?  Or is this a silly question ?

	hpubvwa!b-mrda!jim
	jim sadler

patwood@unirot.UUCP (03/29/87)

There is at least on place that can handle ditroff'ed files, after a
fashion:
	Typeline
	170 State St.
	Teaneck, NJ 07666
	201-837-9839
We've done books and a journal through them (yes, ditroff), and they've
done a great job.  They have 800 numbers for xmodem transfer (nope, no
UUCP yet, we're working on them) and next-day turnaround.  They can
provide you with ditroff font-width tables for their printer (a Linotronic
100 typesetter running PostScript).  They filter the output through our
ditroff->PostScript software (devps).  If you call them, ask for Bob and
give him my name.

Another place you may want to look into is
	O'Reilly and Associates
	171 Jackson St
	Newton, MA 02159
	617-527-4210
	(This address may be a little out-of-date)
O'Reilly is planning on getting a Lino 100 as well, and they have our
software.  They can also provide you with the width tables for PostScript.

Pat Wood
Pipeline Associates, Inc.
bellcore!phw5!phw		(Ignore the return address on this msg.)

jay@unm-la.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <550001@b-mrda>, jim@b-mrda writes:
> Where does one find a printer or typesetting house who understands
> troff or nroff ?  Or is this a silly question ?

Not silly at all.  These folks do production photo-typesetting from
troff/nroff/ditroff input on a CompuGraphic 8400, including many
textbooks for major publishers:

	Unicomp
	307 Big Horn Ridge Road NE
	Albuquerque, NM 87122
	(505)275-0800

	{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!brainerd
	{cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl!unm-la!brainerd
	brainerd%unm-la@lanl.ARPA
--
	Jay Plett
	UUCP:	{cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl!unm-la!jay

rph@chp.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <550001@b-mrda> jim@b-mrda writes:
>Where does one find a printer or typesetting house who understands
>troff or nroff ?  Or is this a silly question ?

Not a silly question, I too am curious about how many typesetting houses do.
We've been using that since unix was a wee tot, with ditroff earlier and
sqtroff now on a Lino 101 with emulation proofs on a laserwriter plus.
We find that all works quite smoothly.

	The Coach House Press
	401 Huron Street (rear)
	Toronto, Ont.