[comp.text] Landscape mode in troff ?

lmm@labsms.UUCP (04/25/87)

HELP -

I'm using Adobe's Transcript package on a UNIX machine connected
to an Apple Laserwriter.  I'm using troff and I want to orient the
text 90 degrees from normal - - (landscape mode rather than portrait)
I can tell troff that I have a line length of 11i and page length of
8.5i, but how do you tell psroff or psdit or whatever to print it out
in landscape mode?

THanks

Larry  McWilliams

ihnp4!labsms!lmm

greenber@swatsun (Peter Greenberg) (04/27/87)

In article <99600001@labsms.UUCP>, lmm@labsms.UUCP writes:

> I'm using Adobe's Transcript package on a UNIX machine connected
> to an Apple Laserwriter.  I'm using troff and I want to orient the
> text 90 degrees from normal - - (landscape mode rather than portrait)
> I can tell troff that I have a line length of 11i and page length of
> 8.5i, but how do you tell psroff or psdit or whatever to print it out
> in landscape mode?

Off the cuff cludge suggestion: get the PostScript output in a file (-t to
ptroff or psroff (or RTFM)). Then put this line at the top, just after
the first line:

612 0 translate 90 rotate

This will probably do it.  It works for us. If you are doing this a lot you
can put it in the prologue file, which is something like /usr/local/lib/lw/-
ditroff.pro. Or whatever.

Peter

--
Peter Greenberg, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA 19081
AT&T:(215) 328-8384 or 8610

tjt@twitch.UUCP (04/27/87)

In article <99600001@labsms.UUCP>, lmm@labsms.UUCP writes:
> HELP -
> I'm using Adobe's Transcript package ...
> how do you tell psroff or psdit or whatever to print it out
> in landscape mode?

I use the following:

      troff -Tpsc -rL8.5i -rW8i YourFile | psdit | psturn | lp -dPostScript

where 'psturn' is the following 2-line shell:

      sed -e '/^\/xi/a\
             63 72 mul 0 translate 90 rotate'

This relies on the current contents of the PostScript prologue used in
Transcript; it looks for the /xi definition and adds an extra line to it.
It's non-portable, and will break if they change the prologue, but it's
small and works.

      ...Tim Thompson...AT&T Bell Labs/Holmdel/NJ...ihnp4!twitch!tjt...

patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) (04/28/87)

Unfortunately, psdit and psroff don't believe in 11 inch lines.