[comp.text] nroff for MS-DOS or CP/M machines.

dar@cblpf.ATT.COM (David Roth) (04/24/87)

Anyone know of a nroff clone for MS-DOS or CP/M machines?
I have a friend who has access to both of these machines and would
like to use nroff. Public domain would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

AT&T Bell Laboratories
David A. Roth
Columbus, Ohio
uucp:	cbosgd!cblpf!dar

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/29/87)

In article <330@cblpf.ATT.COM> dar@cblpf.ATT.COM (David Roth) writes:
%>Anyone know of a nroff clone for MS-DOS or CP/M machines?
%>I have a friend who has access to both of these machines and would
%>like to use nroff. Public domain would be nice.

Elan Software makes an excelent WWB product, including
ditroff and some drivers. Don't have the paper address,
but their net machine is ihnp4!chinet!steinmetz!elan.

Super product and support!

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \	ARPA: wedu@ge-crd.arpa
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

dar@cblpf.ATT.COM (David Roth) (04/30/87)

> Anyone know of a nroff clone for MS-DOS or CP/M machines?
> I have a friend who has access to both of these machines and would
> like to use nroff. Public domain would be nice.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> AT&T Bell Laboratories
> David A. Roth
> Columbus, Ohio
> uucp:	cbosgd!cblpf!dar

Thanks to all those who replied. He has decided to go with one that is
public domain first and see how that works out before diving into the
commericals ones.

David

spm@edison.UUCP (04/30/87)

In article <330@cblpf.ATT.COM>, dar@cblpf.ATT.COM (David Roth) writes:
> Anyone know of a nroff clone for MS-DOS or CP/M machines?
> I have a friend who has access to both of these machines and would
> like to use nroff. Public domain would be nice.
>
> Thanks in advance.

In the last few issues of Dr. Dobbs Journal of Software Tools there has been
a series of columns describing an NROFF clone. It can be ordered from a
California publishing house and includes the complete source. The claim
is that it has full macro capability and comes with -ms.

I have not used the package but plan on getting it eventually. I hope
this helps.

Standard disclaimer

                                            Steve Monett
spm@edison.GE.COM

ross@isis.UUCP (Ross McConnell) (05/01/87)

>>Anyone know of a nroff clone for MS-DOS or CP/M machines?
>>I have a friend who has access to both of these machines and would
>>like to use nroff. Public domain would be nice.
>Elan Software makes an excelent WWB product, including
>ditroff and some drivers. Don't have the paper address,
>but their net machine is ihnp4!chinet!steinmetz!elan.

Doctor Dobb's Journal has Alan Holub's  "nr" available for $29.95. I've just
received it, and haven't had a chance to really test it, but it seems like
a reasonable implementation of nroff. It comes with a version of the "ms"
macros, but again I haven't extensively tested them. For more details, see the
last three months issues of DDJ. By the way, "nr" is for MS-DOS machines.

wjc@ho5cad.ATT.COM (05/04/87)

In article <330@cblpf.ATT.COM>, dar@cblpf.ATT.COM (David Roth) writes:
> Anyone know of a nroff clone for MS-DOS or CP/M machines?

Look in the last few issues of "Dr Dobb's Journal".  There was a series
articles detailing an nroff imitator for (I think) MSDOS.  Program is
available from the publisher at some low price (I don't remember, since
I wasn't interested, but I would guess ~$50).  Includes source code, I
think.