[comp.text] TeX character sets and hyphenation

elf@cui.UUCP (06/03/87)

We have been using the basic TeX distribution on our Suns for several months
now, and several of us have run into some problems trying to typeset articles
written in "foreign" languages.  What I would like to do is solicit information
from netland regarding what problems people have had with TeX when writing
in French or German specifically, and what they have done about it.
Our particular problems are that several of the special character constructions
such as \c{} often: (a) don't look right (requiring kludges to get it right),
and (b) upset the hyphenator (sometimes because of the kludges used in (a)).

Has anyone worked on a modified TeX or LaTeX to work with other languages?
We may be pushed into doing this ourselves (something we'd dread doing alone,
due to lack of time and expertise).  If we choose to do it, we'd appreciate
hearing from anyone who might be interested in sharing the workload with us.

All constructive responses are welcomed.  My apologies if this issue as arisen
previously.
--
Eugene Fiume
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique

lamy@utegc.UUCP (06/06/87)

In article <47@cui.UUCP> elf@cui.UUCP (FIUME Eugene) writes:
>Has anyone worked on a modified TeX or LaTeX to work with other languages?
>We may be pushed into doing this ourselves (something we'd dread doing alone,
>due to lack of time and expertise).  If we choose to do it, we'd appreciate
>hearing from anyone who might be interested in sharing the workload with us.

Michael Ferguson of INRS Telecommunications (Montreal, Canada) did the
necessary changes to support
a) changing hyphenation tables on the fly
b) supporting hyphenation of accented words properly
He did the work for the VMS version, and I *think* a conversion of the change
files to yield a Unix version has been done at Universite de Montreal.

There have been two articles about Multilingual TeX in TUGboat.
Ferguson also did a macro package called INRSTeX that reputedly has nice
features for tables.

I am pretty sure there is the usual 100$ for the pain and aggravation of
making a tape, and so on.  For more informations, contact

   Michael Ferguson
   INRS Telecommunications
   Universite du Quebec
   3, place du Commerce,
   Verdun, Quebec
   H3E 1H6

   e-mail: mike@tel.inrs.cdn  (relay.cs.net and watmath.uucp are gateways to
                               .cdn.  Smart Mailers should handle that o.k.)