[comp.text] TeX undump problems

conte@uicsrd.UUCP (06/04/87)

	I'm trying to bring up TeX on a Sun 3 running release 3.3
and I am having some problems with undump.  I have tried all the versions
of undump that the Washington tape supplies.  I tried the version for
release 3.2, and it dies with a message about the a.out not matching
the core file.  I suppose I could attempt to recompile virtex and see
if the virtex that came on the tape isn't the problem, but our Suns
don't have working Pascal compilers (for some reason that escapes me).
In any regard, has anyone had problems like these and if so, do you know
of a working version of undump for release 3.3?  Thanks,

Tom Conte      Center for Supercomputing Research & Development
               University of Illinois
The opinions expressed are my own, just mine, not the Center's, not Cedar's...
uucp:	 ...!uiucdcs!uicsrd!conte    bitnet:	conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
arpanet: conte%uicsrd@a.cs.uiuc.edu  (or conte@udel.edu)

conte@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU (06/07/87)

I'll post this here in case anyone else had my problem.  By the way,
I recompiled and then everything worked fine. - Tom

>Date: Sat, 6 Jun 87 14:35:08 PDT
>From: mackay@june.cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
>To: conte%uicsrd%a.cs.uiuc.edu@a.cs.uiuc.edu
>Subject: TeX undump problems

The binaries on the distribution are SUN2 binaries created before the emergence
of the SUN 3.n operating system.  There is no way they will be handled by any
version of undump, since the a.out format is bound to be inappropriate for
a SUN OS 3.n system.  I have left those old binaries there for the poor souls
who are still stuck with earlier operating systems, on the assumption that
any SUN OS 3.n system could successfully recompile.  I really can't
advise anything else.  You must have a boot tape for some version of
3.n somewhere.  The PASCAL stuff is on reel two of a 9 track tape, I think,
and on tape 3 of a 1/4 inch tape.  It is tar format, so all you need
is to skip in to whichever file is the pascall and extract it.

It would, I suppose, be possible to hack an undump so that SUN2 O.S(<3) would
work on an O.S 3.n system, but it hasn't been done, to my knowledge.  I
would strongly advise recompilation.   Version (<3) a.out simply does not
match the core dumps produced by a Version (>=3) system, and the mismatch
is quite extensive.

						Pierre A. MacKay
						TUG Site Coordinator for
						Unix-flavored TeX