[comp.text] Why does this shell program run under csh????

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (06/23/87)

In article <206@stc-auts.UUCP> kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) writes:
> I will just barely refrain from saying what I think about
> a command language which uses comments as control structures.

	An interesting statement.  In general, I have to agree with Kris.
I find, for example, the commented lintisms in C (i.e. "/* NOTREACHED */")
kind of ugly, but given the need for backward compatability, I'm not sure
there was any other way.

	The lintisms and the #! shell convention have something in common;
both were an attempt to add features to an existing system while
maintaining compatability with previous implementations.  On the other
hand, take a look at something like PostScript.  PS had structured comments
built into the language definition from the beginning (or at least from the
time I first heard about it, a few years ago).  This sort of assumes that
there will be 2 fundamentally different interpreters looking at your PS
program.  A PS printer will ignore the comments and execute the program.
The spooling and page-manipulation software ignores the code and only looks
at the comments.  Perhaps the right way to look at it is that you have 2
distinct programs, written in two distinct languages, intermingled in the
same source file.  One language considers any line starting with a "%" to
be a comment, the other takes the complementary view and considers comments
to be any line NOT starting with a "%".
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016