[comp.text] looking for dwb 2.0 source

mao@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) (06/25/87)

at the phoenix usenix conference, nat batchelder and trevor darrel (then with
u. penn's computer science dept.) presented a paper on a ditroff
post-processor named 'psfig.'  a key element of the software they described
was the ditroff incantation

	\X'message'

where message is passed intact to the postprocessor.

the version of ditroff we're running doesn't support \X commands.  i've
hacked it in, but given the complexity of the ditroff source, there are
bound to be unwanted side effects in my implementation.  i'd like to get the
standard implementation of this feature.  i presume it's in the latest
dwb release.  i presume that that release is 2.0.  straighten me out on any
of that if i'm wrong.

i'll also need the post-processor source for imagen laser printers that
supports this feature -- the program named 'dimp' or 'dip', depending on
who you are.  where can i go for the latest source code?  we're fully
licensed for dwb and berkeley unix.

				thanks,
					mike olson
					britton lee, inc.
					...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!blia!mao

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (06/26/87)

in article <35@blipyramid.BLI.COM>, mao@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) says:

> 	\X'message'
>
> where message is passed intact to the postprocessor.
> the version of ditroff we're running doesn't support \X commands.

Use "transparent" mode.  It's already in ditroff.

	\!anything

passes anything to the postprocessor.
--
Ken Greer                Elan Computer Group, Inc.
{ames,hplabs}!elan!kg    415-322-2450

wjc@ho5cad.ATT.COM (06/27/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Fri Jun 26 1987 on ho5cad (usg-unix-v)

In article <35@blipyramid.BLI.COM> mao@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) writes:
>   post-processor named 'psfig.'  a key element of the software they described
>   was the ditroff incantation
>	   \X'message'
>   where message is passed intact to the postprocessor.
>   the version of ditroff we're running doesn't support \X commands.  i've

See if your version of ditroff supports this input:

	\!special sauce

This has  been  in troff for "a  while"  (before dwb 2.0),  but I have
heard it was broken in some versions.  Dunno; have never used it; yes,
it is documented that it exists.

	Bill Carpenter
	(AT&T gateways)!ho5cad!wjc
	HO 1L-410, (201)949-8392

trevor@linc.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (06/29/87)

In article <35@blipyramid.BLI.COM> mao@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) writes:
>post-processor named 'psfig.'  a key element of the software they described
>was the ditroff incantation
>
>	\X'message'

>the version of ditroff we're running doesn't support \X commands.  i've
>hacked it in, but given the complexity of the ditroff source, there are
>bound to be unwanted side effects in my implementation.  i'd like to get the
>standard implementation of this feature.  i presume it's in the latest
>dwb release.  i presume that that release is 2.0.  straighten me out on any
>of that if i'm wrong.

In the troff/README file contained in our January, 1986 version of ditroff,
it lists \X as having been added in July 1984. I'm not sure when the
comercial types at AT&T started shipping the ``january 1986'' version, but
we have had ours for at least a year and a half.

>i'll also need the post-processor source for imagen laser printers that
>supports this feature -- the program named 'dimp' or 'dip', depending on
>who you are.  where can i go for the latest source code?  we're fully
>licensed for dwb and berkeley unix.

Hmmm. unless you have a postscript interperter that produces imagen code,
psfig wont be of any use to you. It is designed to include PostScript figures,
and relys on many PostScript features. It flat-out wont run on non-postscript
devices.

I'll be posting when psfig is available for ftp and is sent to comp.sources
(shortly)

--trevor

patwood@unirot.UUCP (Patrick Wood) (07/01/87)

The \!, .cf, and .sy commands allow you to send data directly to the post
processor.  These have been in ditroff since it was first released in DWB 1.0.
It was in previous, internal versions of ditroff that I used in '82-'84.

We have had a set of macros designed to be used with devps that allow PostScript
file inclusion (e.g., Mac graphics), PostScript special effects (e.g., rotation)etc., since early last year.  Since the postprocessor is designed to accept
information passed this way, it requires no processing of the postprocessor's
output.  This technique really isn't new.  I suggest you look at a copy of
Topics in C Programming (Kochan & Wood, Sams 1987) for a sample of what
integrated Mac and troff looks like.

Pat Wood
Pipeline Associates, Inc.
bellcore!phw5!phw

axel@coma.UUCP (07/06/87)

I think it might be worth mentioning, that there exists a 'freeware'
di-troff postprocessor which produces PostScript output. It was
originally written by Stephen Frede, who now works for some australian
company. We use a customized version of his 'tpscript'-package. Our
customizations include some improvements concerning the generated
PostScript and an extended '\!'-interface. Namely, we added an
execution-directive, that allows to 'invoke' any UNIX(1) command and
insert it's (standard-)output into the stream of PostScript generated
by the postprocessor. This - of course - makes only sense with
unix-commands which produce PostScript on standard-out themselves. We
use this feature with a program that converts GEM-Metafiles to PostScript.

The described approach is not limited to the Metafile-converter, but
can be applied to any PostScript-graphic for which bounding-box
information is obtainable. We have one single troff-macro that
interfaces very conveniently to this mechanism.

Axel Mahler, Tech.Univ. Berlin

UUCP: axel@coma.uucp (unido!coma!axel)
BITNET: axel@db0tui62.bitnet