[comp.text] hypertext for UNIX, does anyone make it?

warren@pluto.UUCP (05/13/87)

Does anyone know of any hypertext systems for UNIX?  Public
domain and commercial products are both of interest.

thanks
--
/|/~\~~\    The entire world             Warren Burstein
 |__/__/_/  is a very narrow carrot.
 |          But the farmer               philabs!tg!pluto!warren
/           is not afraid at all.        Why doesn't life come with subtitles?

pjb@eagle.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <335@pluto.UUCP> warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) writes:

>Does anyone know of any hypertext systems for UNIX?  Public
>domain and commercial products are both of interest.
>
>thanks
>--
>/|/~\~~\    The entire world             Warren Burstein
> |__/__/_/  is a very narrow carrot.
> |          But the farmer               philabs!tg!pluto!warren
>/           is not afraid at all.        Why doesn't life come with subtitles?

GUIDE is a hypertext product that runs on UNIX workstations.
The SUN-3 version is available from the Computing Laboratory
of the University of Kent at Canterbury for 200 pounds.

GUIDE is described in the March 86 issue of Software--Practice
and Experience.  The Macintosh version of GUIDE, which is a popular
commercial product, is a development of the original UNIX version.
The two are similar in basic concept, but very different in detail.

Peter Brown

mao@blipyramid.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <335@pluto.UUCP>, warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) writes:

> Does anyone know of any hypertext systems for UNIX?  Public
> domain and commercial products are both of interest.

i'd have sent this directly to warren, but i'm not sure of the path from
blia to philabs.  i'm also extremely interested in hypertext systems.
i have never heard of a unix implementation, but i might have missed
something.  warren, if you get any responses, please mail me a copy.

thanks,
					mike olson
					britton lee, inc.
					...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!blia!mao

zwicky@osu-eddie.UUCP (Elizabeth Zwicky) (05/18/87)

In article <27@blipyramid.BLI.COM> mao@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) writes:
>In article <335@pluto.UUCP>, warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know of any hypertext systems for UNIX?  Public
>> domain and commercial products are both of interest.
>
>i'd have sent this directly to warren, but i'm not sure of the path from
>blia to philabs.  i'm also extremely interested in hypertext systems.

I tried sending directly, and bounced somewhere, so here goes.
I personally do not know of any existing systems. However, I have
heard rumours about a system at Brown, and we are contemplating
a hypertext (or at least hypertext-like) documentation system.
It has some unique points (any sytem that deals with the sheer
volume, the number of different environments, and the inflexibility
of the texts we are looking at would have to). On the other hand,
it doesn't exist yet, nor is it an official project here yet. Just
my pet.
	For more information, you can send mail to me.
	Most likely addresses are zwicky@ohio-state.ARPA
	and ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!zwicky but there is
	considerable evidence that other, weirder things
	also work, possibly (but not definitely) including
	the source address in the header. Mail here is a grand adventure...

	Elizabeth  Zwicky

babcock@milano.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <27@blipyramid.BLI.COM> mao@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) writes:
>In article <335@pluto.UUCP>, warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know of any hypertext systems for UNIX?  Public
>> domain and commercial products are both of interest.
>
>i'd have sent this directly to warren, but i'm not sure of the path from
>blia to philabs.  i'm also extremely interested in hypertext systems.

>>>Elizabeth Zwicky replies:

>>>  However, I have
>>>heard rumours about a system at Brown, and we are contemplating
>>>a hypertext (or at least hypertext-like) documentation system.
>>>It has some unique points (any sytem that deals with the sheer
>>>volume, the number of different environments, and the inflexibility
>>>of the texts we are looking at would have to). On the other hand,
>>>it doesn't exist yet, nor is it an official project here yet. Just
>>>my pet.
>>>	For more information, you can send mail to me.
>>>	Most likely addresses are zwicky@ohio-state.ARPA
>>>	and ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!zwicky but there is
>>>	considerable evidence that other, weirder things
>>>	also work, possibly (but not definitely) including
>>>	the source address in the header. Mail here is a grand adventure...

>>>	Elizabeth  Zwicky

The following is information about a prototype system at MCC...

		PlaneText- A hypertext prototype

An experimental program featuring many hypertext functions has been implemented
by the MCC Software Technology Program in Austin, TX. PlaneText
allows one to create and share information in a non-linear form.  In PlaneText,
data (either text or graphics; voice will be added soon) is stored in nodes;
pairs of nodes are connected by links.
Tools are provided for viewing, creating, and editing nodes and
their links. A browser allows viewing a network of nodes as a graphic structure
as well as providing access to nodes and to the textual viewing and editing
tools. PlaneText also includes components that integrate the system into UNIX
environments.

PlaneText has been transferred to the participant companies of the Software
Technology Program and is proprietary to them. The future plans for
PlaneText will be decided by the participant companies. For any questions or
comments, you may contact Bill Stotesbery (stotesbery@mcc.com), the MCC
Director of Government & Public Affairs.

James D. Babcock @ MCC
Software Technology Program
P.O. Box 200195
9390 Research Blvd.  Austin, Tx. 78720
512/338-3489

uucp: {seismo,harvard,gatech,pyramid}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!babcock
arpa: babcock@mcc.com

     "Oh my god, Wiley.... you've got the patch over the wrong eye..!!!"

     				last utterances of Will Rogers

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/01/87)

I too am interested in the subject of hypertext.  Alas, I hardly know a thing
about it.  In addition to actual products, could someone provide a vector to
material where I can read up on this?  Any references appreciated.  I have
been planning a not-for-profit project that will clearly involve hypertext
concepts, and would like to have portable code.  I'm prepared to write
something, but my time is kind of overextended as it stands, and I'd rather
not reinvent the wheel.  In particular if there is some kind of "founding
document" that enunciates what people mean by the word "hypertext" I obviously
need to read it.

-Thanks in advance
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (07/07/87)

	I would like a pointer to hypertext references, as
well.  I am facinated by the possibilities of hypertext as
I have so far read about it.  It seems to me the only truly
good reason to put literature online as opposed to paper
printing.

--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

(I am responsible for myself and my dog and no-one else)