[comp.text] LaserWriters and TeX

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (07/11/87)

% Please let me know where and how I can get any working version of dvi2ps.
% I have Tex for our VAX/VMS, and an Apple LaserWriter, and would love to
% put them together.

The Washington distribution tape includes the dvi2ps program.  I am
using this opportunity to announce my development of a replacement for
dvi2ps, called dvips, available from anonymous ftp from rocky.stanford.edu
as ~rokicki/dvips.shar.Z.  This program generates much smaller files than
dvi2ps and runs correspondingly faster.  At the moment it does not support
any specials or graphics inclusion; help on this would be appreciated.

% I read something about Tex's computer modern fonts not being the same as the
% LaserWriter's fonts, and having to describe the LW fonts to Tex.

This is true.  Smart PostScript driving programs allow the use of
LaserWriter fonts from TeX; mine currently does not but will soon.
Normally, though, you do want to download the TeX fonts.

% *  Is anyone who has already done the hard work willing to share?
% *  Any other helpful hints getting VMS Tex and the LaserWriter functioning?

If you talk to Kellerman and Smith (who distribute a VMS TeX tape), you
might find that their latest tape includes a VMS LaserWriter driver.

-tom

peterb@dsiramd.nz (Peter Burgess) (07/16/87)

In article <407@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) writes:

>The Washington distribution tape includes the dvi2ps program.  I am
>using this opportunity to announce my development of a replacement for
>dvi2ps, called dvips, available from anonymous ftp from rocky.stanford.edu
>as ~rokicki/dvips.shar.Z.  This program generates much smaller files than
>dvi2ps and runs correspondingly faster.  At the moment it does not support
>any specials or graphics inclusion; help on this would be appreciated.

There is already a driver around called dvips.  It is sold by Arbortext Inc.
and is a very good driver which supports specials, graphics inclusion and use
of LaserWriter fonts as well as downloaded TeX ones.

I think it will cause confusion if Tom calls his driver dvips as well.  There
is already some confusion between dvi2ps and dvips as it is.

Peter Burgess,
Applied Mathematics Division,
New Zealand Govt. Dept. of Scientific and Industrial Research.

UUCP ...!{alberta,ubc-vision}!calgary!vuwcomp!dsiramd.nz!peterb
ACSNET: peterb@dsiramd.nz