[comp.text] Query about TeX

mark@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (mark anderson) (07/17/87)

Can anyone point me to a TeX (or PostScript) package which takes
as input a file containing (x,y) pairs and outputs commands
to display them on a graph. I am looking for something similar
to the ditroff ``grap'' package which is a pic preprocessor.

I would like to have the ablity to specify labels, specify
line type, adjust frame, add title, etc. The goal is to
have way of including a graph in a document without having
to use rubber cement and scissors.

				Thanks in advance,
				Mark Anderson
				mark@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

costanzo@rochester.arpa (John N. Costanzo) (07/17/87)

In article <3470@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> mark@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (mark anderson) writes:
|Can anyone point me to a TeX (or PostScript) package which takes
|as input a file containing (x,y) pairs and outputs commands
|to display them on a graph. I am looking for something similar
|to the ditroff ``grap'' package which is a pic preprocessor.
|
|I would like to have the ablity to specify labels, specify
|line type, adjust frame, add title, etc. The goal is to
|have way of including a graph in a document without having
|to use rubber cement and scissors.
|
|				Thanks in advance,
|				Mark Anderson
|				mark@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

There is just such a beast living on public/latex-style from rochester.
It's found in the file lgraph.shar.
It is available from either:
    (1) anonymous ftp to cayuga.cs.rochester.edu

[HOW?
    % ftp cayuga.cs.rochester.edu  (a.k.a. rochester.arpa, a.k.a. 192.5.53.209)
]

or  (2) an archive server

[HOW?
    Send a piece of mail to LaTeX-Style (@rochester.arpa, @cs.rochester.edu,
    via uucp or your favourite gateway) in the following format:

    Subject line should contain the phrase "@file request".  Body of the
    mail should start with a line containing only an @ (at) sign.
    (Important!) The first line following should be a mail address FROM
    rochester TO you.  Then follow by the names of the files you want,
    either one to each line, or many to each line, separated by spaces.
    End with a line containing only an @ sign.  Case is not significant.

    For example, if you are user at site.bitnet, this is what you should send:

    To: latex-style@rochester.arpa
    Subject: @file request

    @
    user%site.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
    00readme
    @

    A word to the wise: it is best to fully qualify your mail address. Our
    mailer knows about some gateways but not all. Examples:

	    user%site.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
	    user%site.csnet@relay.cs.net

    Do not include any messages in the mail. It will not be seen by human
    eyes.  Be patient as the server is actually a batch program run once a
    day. Files will be sent in batches, each not exceeding 100kbytes in size.
]
--
ARPA:    costanzo@cs.rochester.edu
UUCP:    ..!{allegra,decvax,seismo}!rochester!costanzo

thisted@gargoyle.UChicago.EDU (Ronald A. Thisted) (07/18/87)

In article <3470@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> mark@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (mark anderson) writes:
>Can anyone point me to a TeX (or PostScript) package which takes
>as input a file containing (x,y) pairs and outputs commands
>to display them on a graph. I am looking for something similar
>to the ditroff ``grap'' package which is a pic preprocessor.
>
>I would like to have the ablity to specify labels, specify
>line type, adjust frame, add title, etc. The goal is to
>have way of including a graph in a document without having
>to use rubber cement and scissors.
>
>				Thanks in advance,
>				Mark Anderson
>				mark@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

thisted@gargoyle.UChicago.EDU (Ronald A. Thisted) (07/18/87)

In article <3470@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> mark@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (mark anderson) writes:
>Can anyone point me to a TeX (or PostScript) package which takes
>as input a file containing (x,y) pairs and outputs commands
>to display them on a graph. I am looking for something similar
>to the ditroff ``grap'' package which is a pic preprocessor.
>
>I would like to have the ablity to specify labels, specify
>line type, adjust frame, add title, etc. The goal is to
>have way of including a graph in a document without having
>to use rubber cement and scissors.

About a year ago I posted a note to the net mentioning some crude
TeX hacks that I had constructed for just this purpose.  I was deluged by
requests that (shamefully) I did not reply to, as I was preparing to leave
for the year, and I was embarassed to release some pretty awful TeX code.

My colleague in the Statistics Department, Prof. Michael Wichura, designed
a logically complete extension to plain TeX for preparing Graphs and Pictures,
which he calls PiCTeX.  He has a manual for PiCTeX about the size of the LaTeX
manual which describes how to use the incredible array of features, which
include shading, quadratic interpolation, labelling, automatic axis generation,
and more goodies than you can shake a stick at.

I believe that Mike is willing to put PiCTeX on the TeX distribution tape,
and that he plans to have a publisher distribute the manual (as with the
TeXBook, LaTeX, etc.).  If the TeX gurus who maintain the distribution
would like to take a look at the package, I suggest that they contact Mike
at wichura@galton.uchicago.edu, since he may not know who you are or how to
reach you otherwise.

Potential users might wish to drop Mike a *brief* note by mail (he doesn't
read news) to let him know that PiCTeX has a potential audience.  He can
also be reached at Dept of Statistics, The University of Chicago, 5734
University Avenue, Chicago, IL  60637 USA.

Ron Thisted