[comp.text] Scribe.PostScript.Zapfdingbats.Huh?

stevec@sfu_cmpt.cs.sfu (07/16/87)

The new release of Scribe has support for a PostScript font
called
	Zapfdingbats,

evidently at the behest of one Walt Haas in Utah.

I would like to know what this is, where it is from, and if its
not hardwired, how to get a hold of it if, it's useful.

Does anyone out there in vacuum-land have a clue?

...ubc-vision!fornax!stevec

****************************

		this horrible angle of abuse and decay....

jmg@dolphy.UUCP (Jeffrey Greenberg) (07/19/87)

> What is
> 	Zapfdingbats,

Dingbats are printer's marks... centering lines, hands and other
inherited marking from the printing profession.  Zapf is a designer
of a set of these marks.

straka@ihlpf.UUCP (07/21/87)

In article <151@dolphy.UUCP> jmg@dolphy.UUCP (Jeffrey Greenberg) writes:
>> What is
>> 	Zapfdingbats,
>Dingbats are printer's marks... centering lines, hands and other
>inherited marking from the printing profession.  Zapf is a designer
>of a set of these marks.

I know about Dingbats, BUT:

My question is: HOW do you pronounce "Zapf"?

Do you slur the "p" and the "f" together or do you pronounce it "Zap eff"?
I've headr if both ways.
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

js7a+@andrew.cmu.edu (James Price Salsman) (07/23/87)

Hermann Zapf (her-MON ZAHPF (rhymes with nothing, really))

He also designed Palitino, for those of you with LW+s.

:JPS