[comp.text] equation format in LaTeX

chu@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Clare Chu) (07/15/87)

Hi, I'm using LaTeX's report style with leqno option, i.e.
equation numbers left-justified. What I need to know is how to make
the following type of equation.

(2.1)             fl(x)=x(1+e)                            e < u

where something is right-justified. \hfill doesn't work and I can't
see how to do this. I can't use \raggedleft since I do want
the main part of the equation centered.  Any hints will be appreciated.
Thanks'l

elwell%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (Clayton Elwell) (07/16/87)

In article <1711@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chu@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Clare Chu) writes:

>Hi, I'm using LaTeX's report style with leqno option, i.e.
>equation numbers left-justified. What I need to know is how to make
>the following type of equation.
>
>(2.1)             fl(x)=x(1+e)                            e < u
>
>where something is right-justified. \hfill doesn't work and I can't
>see how to do this. I can't use \raggedleft since I do want
>the main part of the equation centered.  Any hints will be appreciated.
>Thanks.

This is hard to do in LaTeX, and with good reason, since it's
ambigous.  See pages 6 and 7 of the LaTeX manual for a full
explanation.  What I would do is:

(2.1)		      fl(x)=x(1+e), where e < u

which makes it obvious that the condition is part of the equation, or

(2.1)			     fl(x)=x(1+e)

where e < u ...

which makes it obvious that the condition is not.

-=-

Clayton Elwell

Arpa/CSNet:	Elwell@Ohio-State.ARPA
UUCP:		...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!elwell
Voice:		(614) 292-6546

mecklen@utah-gr.UUCP (Robert Mecklenburg) (07/23/87)

If you want to line several things up to the right of the
equation list you can "simulate" eqnarray mode with

	\begin{displaymath}
		\begin{array}{rcll}
			a & = & b     & b < 0 \\
			d & = & a + b & where foo > blat
		\end{array}
	\end{display}

This will place the "annotations" off to the right so they line up,
but they will not be flush right.  Another thing to do is use the
"\qquad" spacing command which inserts a "quads" worth of space
(2 em's).

Robert Mecklenburg